The Student Prince in Old Heidelberg(Old Heidelberg)(The Student Prince) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Student Prince in Old Heidelberg(Old Heidelberg)(The Student Prince) Reviews

½ December 8, 2013
It seems "Roman Holiday" was merely a reworking of themes first presented here. Always enjoy watching the iconic Hersholt.
½ September 4, 2013
"It must be great to be a Prince"...or so it seems.
But the Prince, in this tale, feels otherwise...seemingly trapped by his lofty station in life.
Enviously watching other kids playing in the field beyond the palace's iron gates - which act as prison bars isolating him from the outside world.
It is only when the Prince (Ramon Novarro) becomes old enough to go to college does he finally start to feel what life is really all about. His entourage stops at a commoner's inn to decide if he wants to board there. When the innkeeper's pretty niece (Norma Shearer) demonstrates how soft and bouncy-bouncy the beds are...the blushing Prince decides this may not be a bad place to stay afterall...
The Student Prince in Old Heidelburg is one of the better crafted romantic comedies I have seen from the silent era. Even in this early film you can sense director Ernst Lubitsch honing his signature style - witty dialogue & action, sexy innuendo, expert camera work and edits.
I don't really want to say too much more lest the ending be spoiled...
½ September 4, 2013
"It must be wonderful to be a king!"
year s/b 1927 not '28 in this silent directed by lubitsch
September 4, 2013
one of the last silents 2 roll off the MGM assembly line lavish costume drama
October 17, 2011
Monday, September 13, 2010

(1927) The Student Prince in Old Heidelberg

It has often been said that this was director Ernst Lubitsch best film he had ever done throughout his long extensive movie career for upon I read it's premise, I was already intrigued by it, about a Prince falling for barmaid during a rendevous away from his luxerious castle. My only question was in what circumstances can the film engross my attention and was quite surprise about the experience because of how accurate it really is in terms of real life, since it was made when Prince Charles wasn't even born yet.

The other thing I want to say is that this film is one of most realistic reflections for all films about prince/ princess and relationships that came before and after it. That the only difference is that although they're all somewhat different, each film offer viewers different points of view in terms of it's situations of different classes, for instance in "The Swan" it's Grace Kelly as the princess falling for it's instructor; in "Roman Holiday" Audrey Hepburn as the princess falling for a reporter; and "The Thief of Bagdad" involves alot of sourcery even though the character Sabu stole the overall film! Saw this film twice already that with every repeated viewings, easily reminds me of the relationship between Lady Diana, Prince Charles and Camilla and when you do decide to this, you'll understand why! Also, at the end of this film, contains one of the greatest lines in movie history!

September 15, 2010
an early lubitsch film of the famous operetta. lucky for me it's the silent version ;) some beautiful sequences, especially the night scene in a meadow, and typical lubitsch humor moving the plot along. ramon novarro was very sweet as the prince! i haven't seen him before tho i understand he became quite famous as the new 'latin lover' after the death of valentino. norma shearer is ok but i thought she was miscast in this. at least i didn't have to hear them sing :p
May 20, 2010
This may have been a revolutionary film for it's time, but I found the story not only dated but a little pointless...

It was well made techinally and you could see the touch of a great director behind it (Ernst Lubitsch) but it seemed to drag for me, and the story was I guess a little to simple.

I hear they did another version in the 50's they may be a bit more enjoyable....