The Taming of the Shrew - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Taming of the Shrew Reviews

October 16, 2012
This TV special stars John Cleese (Monty Python movies/show, Shrek 2, Harry Potter movies) who plays the witty Petruchio, Simon Chandler (The King's Speech, Vera Drake, Milk) as the lovestruck Lucentio, and Sarah Badel (The Winter's Tale, Fingersmith) as the shrewish Kate.

It was very similar to book/play. It was an odd cast to throw together, but it worked. I was a little worried that John Cleese was the star in this adaptation, because he's not known for these type of movies/shows. And I haven't seen many actors successfully try their hand at something different. They usually fall flat on their face and it's really embarrassing and I hurt for them. HOWEVER, John Cleese did a wonderful job in this! Lucky for him this play was a comedy, so it wasn't a big change.

I liked this movie or whatever it was. It wasn't as funny as the book, but I did enjoy it. They kept really close to the play and I really respected that, because with some stories you have to. I was a little upset because they did cut out some really funny bits, but what can you expect? I know that they have to cut things out, but sometimes I felt like they cut out the wrong scene. There were some boring parts that didn't need to be in there. That's my personal opinion though.

All-in-all, the actors did a fine job, especially John Cleese. I was worried about him falling flat on his face, but he held his own and he stole the show. He really did. I'm glad Jonathon Miller took that risk, because I don't think I would have like this movie (or TV thingy) if it hadn't been John Cleese ^.^. I'm not saying I didn't like the others in this, but John Cleese made the movie/TV special. Out of five stars, I'll give this one 4 stars.

*Favorite Character(s): Kate and Petruchio
*Not-so Favorite Character(s): Hortensio
½ January 20, 2011
while I prefer the style of the Liz Taylor version, I enjoyed this and found it seemed to me more traditional
March 7, 2010
A great play that is amazing with John Cleese's fantastic performance.
March 3, 2010
Frank Thornton of "Are You Being Served" and John Cleese of Monty Python join a slightly more conventional cast with this effort. Fair to middling.
August 25, 2009
See my review for 10 Things I Hate About You.
August 18, 2009
It is a bit weird seeing John Cleese perform a Shakespeare character, but he does a good job with it.
½ October 27, 2008
As I've said elsewhere, just because it's Shakespeare does not guarantee you will love it, and just because the BBC produces it does not mean it will be great. Not even the witty presence of John Cleese can save this entropically mired and muckily wrought production of The Taming of the Shrew, possibly my least favorite of Shakespeare's plays. If you only see one production, make it Taylor and Burton. At least there is a joyful energy there, rather than the endured tedium to the end of this one.
October 11, 2008
Love this version of this play.