The Third Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Third Man Reviews

½ January 8, 2017
A classic suspense film from the genius of Orson Welles. This film is an original. Devices from this film have been borrowed from since. A must see for any fan of classic black-and-white "trenchcoat" thrillers. Beautifully set in historic Vienna, it is filmed in mostly dark scenery, using strong effects of light and shadows to communicate the tension of the riveting plot.
½ November 28, 2016
I'm not a huge spy flick fan.
October 12, 2016
One of the greats. A masterclass in editing. My only bugbear is it clips along too quickly with never a quiet moment. Hugely visual with a dialogue so rapid the characters inhabit a silent film. But the best films can be judged as silents, so it works whichever way.
August 19, 2016
A dazzling, intricate, nearly-perfect movie. Among its strongest points is one that I treasure highly in stories and films, namely the respect of a writer and director for the intelligence of an audience and our capacity to handle complexity and ambiguity.
August 4, 2016
The best in his genre, good actors and even better plot
July 19, 2016
Maybe I'm dumb, but I was bored from beginning to end and immediately forgot this movie after it was over.
July 16, 2016
This movie was wonderful! I was engaged the whole time. Nothing felt to rushed or slow. The acting was wonderfully. It was just perfect. Would love to watch everyday for the rest of my life.
July 9, 2016
An absolute classic. I can't think of another better film; everything from the acting, photography, script, direction, music and location. It is so perfect that like a good joke or great sex, trying to rationalise it is probably pointless.
June 11, 2016
On paper, this is a movie that i should love immediately, the plot seems fantastic, i love Carol Reed, i love all of the actors, and this has been one of my most anticipated movies since the first time i laid eyes on the IMDb page. I watched it for the first time, yesterday, and it didnt do anything for me. What a massive disappointment.

How can people even think this movie is perfect? My personal predjudices aside, just basic things i hated:

The music is awful, and extremely out of place, even in suspenseful moments, that ^&#*@ stupid cider music is always playing. It is so out of place!

The acting is stiff and mediocre from the whole cast at best (Expect Orson Welles ofcourse)

The overuse of dutch angels really irritated me, how can people say that the cinematography is flawless, when there is such an obvious one like this.

and personally, i found the first hour to be damn near unwatchable because of how bonedry story telling it was.

This film is like The Dark Knight, if you take away 1 great performance, there is nothing left
May 26, 2016
The Third Man holds up fine, its just that its story's just predictable and cliched by todays standards. The cinematography is quite impressive tho
½ April 11, 2016
The Third Man is one of the finest noir mysteries to come out of the '40s, however it suffers a bit from its imitators and you'll be able to predict the big reveal LONG before it arrives. The film stars Joseph Cotten, who I was unfamiliar with, as a pulp fiction writer who travels to Vienna to visit an old friend and is astonished to find that he was accidentally killed a few days prior; or was it murder? The film plays out patiently, as our protagonist begins to dig into what exactly happened to his friend and the mystery elements truly shine, especially when he receives different accounts of what took place in the automobile "accident". The film also stars Orson Welles as the aforementioned friend, Harry Lime, who receives top billing though he is maybe on-screen for 8 minutes total: which leads into my big problem with this film. Without spoiling too much, the reveal that arrives at about the one hour mark is masterfully done and one of the film's more iconic scenes, but we're never given any explanation as to what the motive was and it feels like the filmmakers were trying to be so clever, they didn't worry about the scenario making sense. The film also incorporates a stringed instrument called a zither to score the music and while I can tell they were going for something unique, the sound is too absurd, especially in the more dramatic scenes, and the music actually sounds identical to the music used in SpongeBob SquarePants! Overall, this is an exceptionally-made film that still holds up today, but there are some questionable moments that stood out to me and it suffers a bit from what's come out since.
April 1, 2016
The cinematography is absolutely insane & innovative even through today.... great acting, blown away by this movie.
March 23, 2016
Perfect... Just perfect.
March 19, 2016
The best classic cinema has to offer. Film noir perfection.
March 1, 2016
My favourite ever performance, my favourite ever photography. The film that made me into a buff and a must-see for anyone who hasn't.
½ February 28, 2016
A stunning example of film noir at its very best. Everything about this film was extremely well-done, overall it is almost total perfection. Definitely lives up to its classic status.
February 20, 2016
Amazing cinematography, great dialogue and one of the most famous final shots in all of cinema.
January 30, 2016
Another masterpiece of film noir cinema, and although i didnt understand everything about the plot line, i still found it interesting. The performances by Orson Welles and Joseph Cotten are excellent and the post war atmosphere of the film is just pretty. Although some scenes can be really boring and there isnt really that much action in this film, it is a good film noir classic and recommended !!