The Three Caballeros - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Three Caballeros Reviews

August 12, 2016
Don't watch.
But in all seriousness it was pretty bad. From 15 minutes of Donald chasing around Mexican women to some uncomfortable animated/live-action sequences, The Three Caballeros lies right at the bottom of the Disney barrel. The movie offers some appealing spectacle and insight into Mexican/Brazilian culture but it's lost among its drawn out nonsense. Disney continues its government-issued reign of terror that is almost identical to its prequel Saludos Amigos, clearly trying too hard to please its Latin American audience, though Caballeros is worse because it's a half hour longer. From a Woody Woodpecker knock-off to some creepy visuals of singing heads in flowers, this movie is a bust.
August 1, 2016
This was the good film in the Disney Combo pack. Its Donald's birthday and his friend from Brazil sends him a birthday package. He gets a film about a Penguin who moves from Antarctica to someplace warm (very funny) and then the pops out to take him on a magical journey to Beria, Brasil. Not as good as the penguin story, but its cute and has some interesting Human/Cartoon interaction. Recommended.
½ July 27, 2016
Slightly better than Saludos Amigos! The animation is around the same quality as the old Disney cartoon shorts, but The Three Caballeros is a fun movie.
½ March 30, 2016
Una hermosa animación, una gran variedad de segmentos y técnicamente un logro, aunque el tercer acto las cosas se alocan perdiendo el hilo, aun así es una película excelente.
January 12, 2016
An underrated Disney cartoon with beautiful visuals
December 9, 2015
Far more entertaining than its older brother, Saludos Amigos, this exploration of Latin American culture is smarter for sporting a loose narrative and utilizing fun, new-ish characters to embody the cultures and personalities of specific regions. Gotta love the mixed, live-action/animated bits too! Could've used an actual ending though...
½ August 22, 2015
Marvelous Disney animation tied to an uneven storyline; one of the most 'psychedelic' of the Disney films with a good musical score that includes the Oscar-nominated song "You Belong to My Heart."
½ July 26, 2015
A bizarre creation by Walt Disney, The Three Caballeros is not the usual Disney classic, but nonetheless contains the same delight
½ July 14, 2015
With no concrete storyline to follow, this movie feels more like a documentary instead. But hey, there is good music to be heard so no complaining here~
½ May 31, 2015
The Three Caballeros is one of the most psychedelic Disney films I've ever grown up with. I watched this movie as a child, and I enjoyed the surreal experience as a child.

Recently rewatched it on iTunes, and, although I didn't get into it as much as I used to, I'm also old enough to appreciate some of the more mature jokes. The songs "Bahia" and "The Three Caballeros" are definitely memorable, and I liked a retro look at Latin America. I know this is a 40s timepiece, but the "stereotypes" did not bother me that much. As a matter of fact, everyone looked pleased to be in this film. It does look more peaceful.

The animation is very good, but it also ventures into one of the wackiest trips when the movie reaches the final 10 minutes, and never lets up until the black screen at the end of the film.

This is one of the better package films from the 1940s, and the only one I remember, since it was the only one released on video intact in the 80s and early 90s. The others didn't come until the late 90s and 2000 with the Walt Disney Gold Classic Collection. My father enjoyed this, I enjoyed it, it brings a smile to my face. It's not the best classic in the Disney series, but a good retro classic nonetheless.
½ May 17, 2015
The Three Caballeros is a cute movie. It is about Donald Duck receiving birthday gifts and information about Brazil and Mexico. Aurora Miranda and Clarence Nash give excellent performances as their respective characters. The screenplay is well written. Norman Ferguson and Clyde Geronimo did great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the fantasy and humor.
May 10, 2015
It was a funny, really cute and really entertaining Disney animated/live action musical comedy adventure. It had really terrific animation, really great cinematography, really fun characters, really great music, really great narrations, really fun adventure, really good laughs, really colorful backgrounds and a really good story. In my opinion, this is one of my favorite Disney animated anthology films of the 40s. I really recommend this movie to both children and adults.
½ April 18, 2015
Brilliant animation and lots of Donald Duck make Disney movie worth watching. Don't expect much of a story, though. Just great songs and lots of fun!
½ April 2, 2015
Virtually plotless Disney film sees Donald Duck finding romance and adventure in Latin America. Interesting combination of live action and animation, which is surprisingly well-executed given the limited technology available at the time. The colors are vibrant and the animation inventive and wacky. This film was one product of a trip Disney and a team of animators took to South America in 1941. That goodwill tour is chronicled in the fascinating 2008 documentary "Walt & El Grupo."
March 16, 2015
good stuff the fruit of Disney's visit to south America.
February 17, 2015
Basically what 'Saludos Amigos' should have been or at least a nice sequel to it. It really makes you appreciate the unique flavour of South America while having fun and enjoying great short stories :)
½ January 22, 2015
Like all of Disney's experimental/segmented films, this one has some hits and misses. However, this may be the most coherent and successful one, despite being all sort of strange. Bright and bursting with fervor, it's a trippy and mostly entertaining little feat of unique filmmaking.
January 16, 2015
No real story here. Donald has three presents from his friends of south america for his birthday and this is an excuse to discover the country with colors and abstration. Beautiful animation, first attempts of interactionsbetween real life actors and animated characters (no, Alice Comedies doesn't count. It was just a reel which showed cartoons on a screen while a girl moved in front of), who even if they aged today remain really impressive for tthe ime (the fourties) and furthermore, we see the animators passion in it because it is really fast. Everything is incredibly filmed well and beautiful to see. The short films and the short histories are at the same time funny and tounching, the characters are very likeble with their different personnalies and this abstracted movie gives a feeling to see the traditions of the South America by having fun but however in the style of disney, so it's attractive and not too realistic but it's a children movie after all yet very smart about the traditions (like the pinàta) and some of the places. But we have to admit that the movie also has its flods. The song os quindins de ya ya even if it's nice to hear is a bit too long and could have been shorter. After all, it happened to Disney to cut some pieces of their songs when some were too long, why didn't they do it in this movie? One other scene in the movie slows down everything and doesn't bring anything. More of that, it ruins a scene that remembered the side WTF of the pink elephants in Dumbo. It should have been cut to make the movie better and not ruin the fun. And the biggest flod: the end. No real conclusion. We just see the words "The end" in the sky whithout understand why the movie ends at this moment. Even in Fantasia that was a sort of abstract movie, we knew when it was going to be the end because we had a voice that said before that the musicians were leaving after the last short "we choose for the final of fantasia" and here "no". It could have end in a very different way: Panchito who decide to say that he shows a last land, Donald who say that he is satisfied with his birthday and say goodbye to his friends or invite them to stay with him for the rest of the day. Even in Saludos Amigos which wasn't a good movie, the end was more logical because the camera was leaving the set at the last song. They could have done the same here and not that botched ending. But yet, it's stil a good movie to enjoy with funny, beautiful moments, a Donald Duck who, for some reason, really wants to spend time with women, José Carioca, good singer and wise and Panchito Pistoles savage but smart. We wish we could be on the places with them and also be in the movie. A Disney worth to be seen.
½ December 28, 2014
A solid follow-up to Saludos Amigos that combines animation and live action with sheer perfection, even if it is a bit irregular and only really amusing until the last ten minutes, when it goes in Fantasia mode Latin style and freaks out in a mad and tedious psychedelia of colors and music.
½ December 16, 2014
Great! I loved it! Awesome! Jose's voice is the greatest thing ever. Wonderful! What more can I say? It shows you culture and always keeps you entertained. The ending wasn't perfect but I still loved it none the less. An Instant Classic. <3