The Time Guardian - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Time Guardian Reviews

December 27, 2015
Ozploitation ripoff of "The Terminator." Set some 2000 years in the future, robots have killed off most of humanity except for one city that manages to travel back in time to the modern day Australian outback. However, the evil robots follow them into the outback. I'm certainly not opposed to low budget rip-offs of blockbuster (I'm a huge fan of Roger Corman's "Star Wars" rip-off "Battle Beyond the Stars"), but this film was just morning. It takes most of the film for the robots to even get to the hero in the outback, which is where the story might have been interesting or exciting. The film does cast a couple American actors in small roles, Dean Stockwell and Carrie Fisher (who is the main reason I recorded this film). And as an aside, there's kind of a funny nod to "The Road Warrior" when Carrie Fisher's character mentions that the film's hero was once a feral kid (the name of the boomerang throwing kid in "The Road Warrior"). Incidentally, writer/director Brian Hannant was one of the three writers on "The Road Warrior."
July 20, 2015
Aussie version of THE TERMINATOR has a time guardian transported from the future to battle cyborgs with a mission to destroy mankind. Good derivative film where Carrie Fisher provides only background support, suggesting this was targeted for the home (Australian) audience.
August 16, 2013
Terrible, strange Ozzie sci fi ... with weird bad guys with terrible skin and throat cancer, lots of funny, hard to take serious Ozzie accents, a Mister Miyagi who just appears out of no where near the end... and a male hero named after the dog on Eastenders who looked a bit like a butch lesbian... still it wasnt near as bad as John Carpenters Ghost of Mars
½ October 27, 2012
A city travels in time to escape cyborg robots whose goal is to kill all humans and take the city. Aussie film borrows liberally from The Terminator but I found it quite entertaining. Carrie Fisher adds name talent but seems purposely marginalized with her character injured early and out of sight for much of the rest of the time. Still recommended.
½ September 27, 2012
May 3, 2012
Wasnt too bad, a little sci fi flick that had a nice premise with a little action and decent storyline.
July 25, 2011
The year is 4039 and a war between humans and cyborgs lead to a group of humans travelling back in time to a Australia desert in 1988. "The Time Guardian" is just a terrible film, the story is hard to follow, the characters are underdeveloped, the acting is bad and the whole thing is just a big bore. If it wasn't for some decent (hardly good) special effects I would have rated it lower.
November 2, 2010
Starring Carrie Fisher and Dean Stockwell? Hardly, in actuality it starred Tom Burlinson and Nikki Coghill. This tale of a time traveling city was actually quite a bit better than anticipated. Several of the battle scenes were vaguely reminiscent of classic Warhammer 40k games I've played, lending them a certain charm.
I enjoyed most of the costuming in regards to design. The dialog was typically bad and the story, predictable. However I do think it was worth seeing once if you are into 80s sci-fi movies.
½ January 20, 2010
The worst Australian film ever?