The Undying Monster (The Hammond Mystery) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Undying Monster (The Hammond Mystery) Reviews

May 19, 2015
A paint by numbers Universal monster movie with actors and writers made of wood. Anything cool here can be seen at much better degrees in more famous monster movies of this time period, like, I don't know, THE WOLF MAN?
August 22, 2014
See it more for the visual thrills than for the mystery, but see it.
October 3, 2012
great atmospheric horror with a universal feel although a 20th century fox release.
recognise the butler? no shit sherlock.
½ May 13, 2012
my first scary movie
½ April 9, 2012
The Undying Monster is a well-crafted variation of the 'Wolf Man' films which combines a supernatural family curse into a murder mystery plot-line. The story is rather on-par with many of the B movies of the time period, but is without question elevated by the direction and cinematography. Early on the film builds a nice atmosphere between the wide shot compositions of the old, eery mansion to the shadow soaked lighting, which help to establish this form of isolation and foreboding doom. While this is definitely not on the same level as Hangover Square, The Lodger, or Guest in the House, this film showcases Brahms ability to really use sound and visuals to create tension and mood. Whether it's the camera movements in the beginning of the film which are perfectly suscinct with the tolling of a clock or the scene in front of a fire place wehre the smoke distorts the image, Brahm was really underrated as a visual filmmaker. Obviously having Lucien Ballard as your cinematographer for this film helps. So all in all, its a solid if unspectacular film that is elevated by Brahm and Ballard. There is a sort of theme on display the dissection of supernatural vs. good old fashion murder, but its not a central theme by any means...
March 31, 2012
This was a very good-looking film. The plot was utterly predictable, but interesting. Very well shot.
½ October 13, 2010
Cool werewolf- but he shows up only in the last thirty seconds of this dreary 40's mystery- which stars too many male suspects with pencil thin mustaches. I was asleep in a record 30 seconds.
August 25, 2010
This is fairly stagey and predictable, with the requisite misogyny. But despite feeling like a cash-in on earlier werewolf films and the Universal classic, it has a nice sense of atmosphere and theatrical whodunit style that is distinct. The climactic transformation effects, such as they are, may seem pretty cornball and derivative. But they are interesting for current horror fans, just as the rest of the film is as it fits into and slightly deviates from genre convention.
½ July 2, 2010
After being so impressed with John Brahm's remake of The Lodger, I picked up the "Fox Horror Classics" which, for whatever reason, is all Brahm films. This isn't the greatest monster movie, but it's got a ton of spooky gothic atmosphere, thanks to Brahm's wonderful eye and a pretty good score. I dunno, this has a pretty lousy rating on iMDB but I found it sufficiently entertaining. The detective in the story has a female sidekick who provides some comic relief... I noticed a lot of other reviewers find the humor out of place, but I thought she was amusing (although there were some sexist elements).
FilmFanatik
March 28, 2010
August 1, 2009
This movie had potential but it fell short. Some of the acting was melodramatic and the scenes with the monster were brief and unexciting.
August 1, 2009
I'm counting this one as it played like a Holmes mystery, despite the supernatural twist. It's a better mystery then monster film, but other then looking really nice, it's pretty boring and crap.
August 1, 2009
The direction was really neat and in the beginning it was quite interesting, but in the last 10-15 minutes it loses steam.
Horror = Not interested.
½ March 3, 2009
my first scary movie
October 31, 2008
Fun, pulpy B horror from the 40s.
October 26, 2008
A tedious procedural that ends like a Scooby Doo cartoon. It's more of a 'whodunit' than a horror movie, with a group of characters holed up in an old mansion trying to solve a series of murders. It's only coincidentally a werewolf movie, as the monster could just as easily have been any other type of creature. The movie has a little to offer in the way of atmosphere, but I was bored.