The Untouchable (L' Intouchable) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Untouchable (L' Intouchable) Reviews

November 1, 2012
Not by any means a bad movie, but extremely vague. I really didn't get what had happened at the end, just as the rest of this movie paced along slowly, not really explaining a lot or setting up much of a back story for Jeanne.
The gist is that a young French actress discovers that her father was an Indian man her mother had a fling with. She flies over to India to find him. Cue many slow scenes of Jeanne on the plane, in the airport, having a very unique massage and befriending a gay man who takes her to a convent to meet a relative who became a nun (another strange scene which doesn't make a lot of sense or is properly explained). I guess it's like life, not everything has an explanation or is neatly tied up at the end, but it was quite a frustrating movie, for me, in that I felt like I had no real idea what I just watched.
The actress who plays Jeanne is beautiful and i liked the scenes of India (although no way no how does it tempt me to visit). It's a nicely filmed movie, but just too open for my liking.
June 24, 2012
LOVED IT, SAW IT TWO TIMES AND LOVED IT EACH TIME
½ November 27, 2009
When France encounters India. After all these years, one big problem (to me, at least) of French Cinema (particularly to those directors who are so eager to deliver their viewers with certain messages, but just too busy giving a damn for making a smooth narrative) is the inconsistence of movie tone & narrative. This one was just another good example. The first 20 minutes were just like totally irrelevant to the last 60 minutes, & whilst which was already way too gruffly fragmented as well.
½ November 18, 2008
beautiful movie. and yet again i loved Islid Le Besco!!!!!!
February 29, 2008
Missed part of the beginning, but when I was about to change the channel, all of the sudden I realized that it is quite an interesting movie as the conversation about untouchables was on.

This movie does not have die-hard action or very typical story that can be squeezed into "common:movie:box".
(Who says btw that ALL of the French movies have to be in exactly same type/form?!?)

I liked the simplicity of the movie!
It was more about showing life in India, and main character's meetings with different people there, than trying to reach any specific conqlusion.

It opens up thoughts and questions in you, but it doesn't really lead to any concrete answers, which works with this movie surprisingly well.

If you are interested of India, or Asia in general, it should be an interesting movie for you to watch.
But it is good to know basic issues in (modern) India, to recognize those subtle hints of them that are kind of shining through throughout this movie.
January 28, 2008
an incredibly boring film. poor camera work, bad editing, weak dialogue. I really couldn't care about the actor as very little depth was shown. My favourite part of the movie was when the credits were rolling.
½ October 2, 2007
So it was a French Art Film, what did I expect? Maybe I was naive, but I was hoping for a little more in the way of development, character or narrative....anything!
September 2, 2007
Belle photo, mais un peu "carte postale". Les acteurs bien filmés, mais les lieux et les villes semblaient froids et vides.
½ July 20, 2007
Well shot, but lacked a true driving force. The story felt empty and slow and disconnected, even more so for regular French art film.