The Victors - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Victors Reviews

½ September 13, 2015
Episodic, yet intelligently and strikingly shot.
March 25, 2013
Interesting though flawed, a collection of short stories of uneven quality-- War mellow-drama!!
February 21, 2013
One of the very best war films ever. Way before its time with its SFX, and attitudes to WWII. Unmissable, and there is no excuse now that it has at last been released on DVD.
½ September 9, 2012
They shouldn't have shot the puppy :( ~sob~ lol
½ November 27, 2011
One lazy saturday afternoon I just happened to tune into a screening on BBC2. And what an amazing surprise. In view of its age the film's commentary on war is as current as ever, and provides superb insights into the personal and political elements of the effects of war. One of the most underated films ever.
May 18, 2010
I didn't know a thing about this film before I saw it, I didn't even know it was a war film until the film started. Written and directedy by Carl Foreman (writer of High Noon and Bridge on the River Kwai), it's a World War II film that tells several stories of soldiers across Europe interacting with each other and the villagers.

There are a lot of great moments throughout, I really loved the scene with Eli Wallach and the French woman, Peter Fonda and the dog, and the deserter. But all of the segments are very well done. I also enjoyed the newsreel clips that played between each story, particularly the scene with Bess Truman trying to break the bottle.

This was a very well made film, an excellent ensemble, and an overlooked war film from the 60s.
April 25, 2009
i didnt think that much of it atfirst but as i was watching it i was slowly getting more interested and ouldnt take my eyes of it and found it very interesting

and i love it when a movie does that to you and in the end it wasnt that bad of a movie

the acting was good and it was a good storyline
February 24, 2008
An anti-war film for war film buffs who know better, it rode the wave of it's time, basically explaining how the Allied cooperation in WW2 devolved into the decades long "Cold War" era, if you cant grasp this concept you will be frustrated watching this film. Notable for actually showing racist assault on Black troopers trying to have fun in Europe which is realistic for the era. Great cast, with memorable work by young George "Hannibal" Peppard and handsome G. Hamilton. Memorable scene not to be missed of Maurice Ronet as ruthless French Commando leader who schools American troopers on how to take a Nazi machine-gun nest. Not for the easily bored/short attention span crowd, this is "thinking man's" war exploitation cinema....
January 19, 2008
Top five war film of all time.
January 13, 2008
Superb ensemble of war situations, mostly without any fighting. Wonderful camera angles and odd uses of music, especially in the firing squad scene make this a compelling watch.
October 17, 2007
i was young when i saw this and it changed my views on war immediately. who says films are just entertainment. Nobody else reviewed the movie? shucks!