The War - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The War Reviews

September 4, 2016
One of Elijah Woods' best performances as a child and the story has an incredible moral behind it people just can't deny.
½ April 27, 2016
A Vietnam veteran returns home to the deep south in this drama that has a lot to say but can't balance any of the material long enough for the audience to care.
January 26, 2016
under rated movie. very good performances by all the actors
½ January 26, 2016
funny that the critics hated this, but the audience did. well...i'm with the audience. i liked this movie about a dad who has returned home from Vietnam.
½ January 23, 2016
A well-made emotional period piece with great acting from Elijah Wood. (First and only viewing - In my early twenties)
February 25, 2015
Excellent movie. Highly original, not in a rush to grab the audience. Heartwarming tale that for some strange reason received very poor reviews from critics.
August 6, 2014
A moving film about a man who finds redemption and a boy and girl who learn what is really important in life--saving instead of destroying, love and peace instead of strife and hate.
July 4, 2014
Got to see this for free in college as we students and locals in the town were part of a "test audience" , getting to view this before its official release. Probably was right. Earnest but unconvincing period drama paralleling a war over a tree house between a group of middle schoolers(led by Elijah Wood on the good side)and the intense struggle of Wood's Dad(Kevin Costner)re-adjusting to life back home returning from Vietnam. By the end of the film, the characters seemed less like real people and more like characterizations for why war and racial prejudice were wrong. Not bad in and of itself I suppose, but predictable and treacly in the sum of the film. In short: felt like it had been done before and better.
June 28, 2014
Sensible and touchy story for those who are looking for a hope in the middle of tuff life.
½ April 20, 2014
A really good movie that is sometimes brought down by its over the top corniness.
March 15, 2014
its a classic. Well put together
½ March 2, 2014
Well acted with a lot of heart (and a little cheese)
November 9, 2013
Do not understand the critics! Provides some interesting scences with a strong message to the audience.
April 13, 2013
Filme de sessão da tarde.
December 17, 2012
Great movie, a bit sad at times, but just proves they don't make good story lined films like the these.. I'm not sure why movies can't compare to the 80/90s.
½ December 15, 2012
"I needed him more than you, Lord!"

Stephen Simmons is a Vietnam War veteran that struggles to keep jobs as well as his sanity. He suffers from bad dreams but recently returned to his family after spending time with some doctors. He returns to a family hard up for money and his children are struggling with constant fights with the neighbor's kids. Stephen's purpose in life is to be the glue to keep his family together but can he do it in his current condition?

"She doing anything else I should know about?"
"Yeah, she's doing a lot of things. But I don't think you should know about them."

Jon Avnet, director of Fried Green Tomatoes, Red Corner, Sixty Minute Man, 88 Minutes, and Righteous Kill, delivers The War. The storyline for this picture is very interesting and well done. It reminded me a little of Stand by Me. The interactions between kids are fun to watch unfold and the end is fairly good. The cast includes Kevin Costner, Elijah Wood, Mare Winningham, and Lexi Randall.

"There's a lot of pain in my head."

This film was recommended to me by BrunetteHepburnGirl some years ago (likely 6 or 7 years ago) and I finally got around to seeing this off Netflix. It was an entertaining coming of age film that is intense at times with constant disaster around every corner. I do recommend seeing this picture at least once but I wouldn't add it to your DVD collection.

"Your house is on fire again."

Grade: B-
December 7, 2012
The war? not familiar...
November 2, 2012
I like this movie, I love Elijah Wood's performance for being so small at the time, did one of his best performances!!!
October 16, 2012
this movie makes me so sad sometimes but it helps me realize the things that are worth fighting for.