The Warui yatsu hodo yoku nemuru (The Bad Sleep Well) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Warui yatsu hodo yoku nemuru (The Bad Sleep Well) Reviews

June 27, 2017
Akira Kurosawa's lesser known chef d'oeuvre is a solemn social critique on corporate corruption, bureaucratic greed and blind vengeance of Shakespearean eloquence and elegance.
March 13, 2016
This Akira Kurosawa film tackles corporate corruption and is very noirish, while also taking inspiration from "Hamlet". Toshiro Mifune stars as a man determined to get justice and tackles the corrupt system. The film is well shot with good performances, but slightly overlong. Still, it's a great story and well worth watching.
July 28, 2015
An underrated gem by one of the greatest filmmakers ever. Also, one of the best Shakespeare adaptations. It has corporate corruption, Shakespearian themes, and a nice noir atmosphere; how could you not love it?
July 1, 2015
If only every film director was like Akira Kurosawa. I thought that there was no way the classic Japanese director could outdo his samurai adaptation of "Macbeth", but this mesh of film noir, "Hamlet", and corporate corruption is pretty close to the title. Moviemaking at its very finest.
June 9, 2015
My first experience with a non period Kurosawa is no less watchable than any of his other films. You could take the issues of corporate corruption and place it within any era and have the themes still be relevant. Another timeless masterpiece.
February 16, 2015
Visually, the angles Kurosawa gets are so good.
½ August 30, 2014
excellent, if not great, treatment of Hamlet to the corporate drama; Mifune is daring as usual in his restraitn and flamboyant performance, with a superb opening wedding sequence
July 27, 2014
Kurosawa's reworking of Shakespeare's Hamlet takes place in corrupt corporate world in Japan. Captivating.
½ June 22, 2014
Dreary, badly-paced, over-long soap opera, with a simplistic heroes-and-villains morality and an ending so depressing I'm surprised it didn't cause theatre audiences to commit suicide en masse.
March 31, 2014
Akira Kurosawa is mostly remembered for his period pieces involving samurai, action set pieces, adventure, hilarious humor, and grand scope of his films. However, he is not remembered for contemporary pieces, and this film is almost completely forgotten in history because it is not his usual film-making motif. This is utterly shameful because to me, The Bad Sleep Well showcases some of the very best and most powerful aspects of Kurosawa a film fanatic will ever encounter.

The plot follows a man named Nishi on his quest for revenge against the members of the corporation who forced his father to commit suicide by jumping out of the seventh story window because of his knowledge of the company's dealings. Now he is hell-bent on taking down the men responsible for this crime and shedding light to the public about the corporation's misdeeds. However, everything in his life is at stake and things may not go according to plan when dealing with such evil men who will do anything in the name of power and money.

The Bad Sleep Well is a brilliant marriage of Shakespeare tragedy (Inspired primarily by Hamlet), American film noir, and the stunning direction by master film-maker Akira Kurosawa. While I have adored his other works that I've seen, this could very well by my favorite film of his, as well as being quite possibly, one of the all-time greats I have ever seen.

Though 2.5-hours in length, there was not a single dull moment and I found my eyes glued to the screen and my ass glued to my chair as I watched the elaborate, multi-layered plot unfold so beautifully. It's a film with well-rounded and interesting characters, and it's hard not to get involved in Nishi's odyssey of traveling deep into the rabbit hole of not only corporate evil, but pure evil and downright monstrous human nature and all the good people who got caught in the deadly web as they try to expose what goes on. However, not even some of the evil-doers themselves can escape, as some are merely puppets who don't want to face the wrath of their masters. It's positively riveting as the characters unravel the dark depths of human evil and how far it really goes. But, not even the viewer gets to see how far it goes, leaving an uneasy feeling because it all feels so real and no one really knows how deep-seeded these things really are.

It's a mesmerizing, towering, brilliant, and masterful, and epic corporate thriller that will not leave you once it is finished, and will even have you clamoring to re-watch it just to see if you can unravel more details behind the very intricate plot that holds many secrets. If any film-maker wants to make a corporate thriller, someone needs to hand them a copy of The Bad Sleep Well, because this is how you fucking make a corporate thriller. If you love a good thriller, this is not one to miss and it should be more widely known because it is still very relevant in today's world.
½ February 13, 2014
Hamlet as a film noir in corporate Japan in 1960- sounds like it should be a huge mess, but it works quite well (for the most part). it drags in the middle a bit, but the outstanding beginning and end sequences make up for it (especially the wedding/newspapers scene, and the sequences of the underling who keeps receiving reminders of the Furuya suicide).
July 10, 2013
Okay, I don't need films to end with nice, happy endings, but the ending to this film is just anticlimactic. A great opening sequence and some strong direction can't save the film from its own contrived plot points and the underwhelming final act. It really is just silly at times that it is meant to be gravely serious.
February 9, 2013
The Bad Sleep Well, has to be in my own say, a really underrated film (Maybe Kurosawa's most underrated film!)! This Film is Brilliant. Never in my life has a Film make my feel different emotions in just 2 1/2 hours. The ending and beginning are so cynically Genius and really well crafted, it is one of the best films of all -time. Maybe it is also Mifune's best performance. One of the greatest films I have seen. Corruption, Betrayal, Vengeance, and at the end CHAOS! One of the finest achievements in the art of exploring true Evil! A MASTERPIECE by The MASTER KUROSAWA. One of (or maybe) his Best Film(s). This review doesn't make justice to this film.
½ September 23, 2012
Another masterpiece from Kurosawa. Taut, well-cast and impeccably filmed. But I can't stand the ending. Seriously, THAT'S IT? Considering how much time is spent trudging through long scenes, the point of vengeance against the Vice President is entirely a missed opportunity at the end. We couldn't just get 5 minutes of the guy going home and seeing his children gone? Maybe one of his daughter's crutches sitting in an empty bedroom? I'm not saying the end has to be as American as something like The Departed, but after the trouble spent sitting through TBSL the audience deserves more of a payoff. It seriously feels like somebody ran into Toho studios and told Kurosawa he had an afternoon to finish shooting this film.
½ September 13, 2012
A powerful and suspenseful take on the corruption in our modern world, its harrowing outcomes, and one man's unstoppable need for revenge. It's a homage to Shakespeare's Hamlet, and although it's not as close to the original as Throne of Blood (Macbeth) and Ran (King Lear), it surely is inspired by the timeless tale of unscrupulous rage, obsession and collapse of the moral code. There is no one better to adapt Shakespeare's works for the contemporary audience than the one and only Akira Kurosawa. The sharp pacing of the story and the ongoing build-up of the distressing tension between the main character and all his employees/enemies add numerous chills to this groundbreaking story about degradation of human nature. Its a striking portrayal of a man driven by vengeance, who cleverly plots all of the traps that are meant to break down all of the man, who were responsible for a very brutal event some time ago. Even though they live their lives happily, the past is about to haunt them. Toshiro Mifune creates a character of flesh and bones, with the anger that emerges from his eyes, and the plan that even master criminals wouldn't be able to come up with. With its noir touch and perfectly obscure aura, The Bad Sleep Well is a social evaluation of the most dreadful kind.
July 10, 2012
Cool freaking movie.
Matsayuki Mori makes a surprisingly effective villain.
½ June 11, 2012
Good, but not great.
May 22, 2012
A Kurosawa helmed Hamlet adaptation? I must see this!
April 10, 2012
An interesting variation of "Hamlet". Kurosawa said he made this one too soon as corruption scandals broke out shortly after the films release. Mifune is terrific, as always.
April 5, 2012
Perhaps my favorite Kurosawa movie of all. And who doesn't like some Mifune?