The Wave - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Wave Reviews

July 4, 2015
when I was younger they showed this movie on tv the only one they have available now is in German. I want my family to see this. This movie is a have to for all people everywhere do you know where I can see this movie of the one shot in America?
March 25, 2015
Very interesting and absurd story with very strange and creepy characters, but not executed well enough
October 11, 2014
Contains a powerful, true lesson for every generation.
July 12, 2014
[Interested: cannot find.]
January 22, 2013
shows how hitler did it.. such a creepy movie, especially robert
August 11, 2012
A very disturbing movie depicting the easy corruptibility of human nature. It also shows some form of how Nazism and facism rose to prominence around the world in the early-mid 20th century.
May 25, 2012
It really is eerie how easy it is for history to repeat itself. This is a movie that everyone should see at least once in their life.
½ December 13, 2011
An interesting special. Kinda cheesy in its 80's colors, but ultimately powerful in its message. It's good to think of it as an experiment, much like the one depicted in this film. Some suspense amidst the predictability and good acting by the non-professionals help things a bit. I found it satisfying.
½ July 25, 2011
An intriguing real-life story that is unfortunately let down by muddled and amateurish direction. It makes the point about how simple it can be to lead people into facism but there's too much smaltz on show to make it feel plausible.
August 1, 2010
German film, with English subtitles. A class are discussing autocracy. The students all say a dictatorship could never take hold in German again. Oh dear ..... wonder where the film will end.

The teacher starts an experiment to see if they will accept the ideas of fascism over the course of project week, and boy do they.

As the week goes on things begin well. The students form a social identity, they study harder, and have focus.

This film is a breakdown of a fascist rein condensed into one school week. So obviously everything spirals out of control.... interesting stuff though.
½ September 2, 2009
I saw this movie when I was in High School in a psycology class I took. The subject matter is superv and should be shown to this generation. I am happy to hear that a German movie company did a re-make of it.
August 25, 2009
I am not entirely sure if it was this one (the original), but when it was it was a really creepy and amazingly done movie. I was ca. 8-10 years old and I was pretty lucky (or not so much) that I got to see it and it was the only 1x.
It was pretty impressive done that.....I havenĀ“t forgotten this movie since then.
Though I would love to see the original again (seriously), but its good that its not allowed. You got to see how easy it can be with general stupidy and apatheid.
½ August 11, 2009
Probably not as exciting as the "true" story, I couldn't help myself from laughing at the stupid high-school teenagers. I can't remember ever being this stupid, but then again my focus was on the natural sciences...
June 30, 2009
Good educational film. It's a little dated but that doesn't hinder it from getting the message across.
December 11, 2008
The one jewel in the many roughs that I sat through on a 12 hour flight to Hong Kong.

This is a very simple story of how simple a mob is manipulated and how little pushing it really takes for horror to take over.

There are a few cliches in here with the more prominant characters in the class but they are not cliched to the point of parady, which is something that happens all too often. Instead, they are cliched enough to be familiar to us (or me at least) for us to recognise them as being like people we (or I) know.

Read about the many religious cults that exist in the US or any of the modern day neo-nazi groups and the realism of this stands out more.

Not to everyone's tastes but give it a go.
June 21, 2008
This was shown would you believe it not in history class at the school I attended in Germany, but in the alternative subject to Religion called 'Ethics'. although it was short, they could have done more with it, the acting wasn't that great either. I was a teenager back then and I vertainly was very very impressed with it.
½ May 24, 2008
We saw this movie in my history class the other day. It could have been a good full length movie but instead they chose a TV special. The acting was bad and it felt unrealistic. They should have gone farther with the wave thing and not end it so early. The story is pretty good but what they do to it is horrible. An extra half star for the story.
½ May 20, 2008
Review will be written when/if re-watched (Probability: Zero).

First viewing: 08.10.1998
April 18, 2008
Very interesting concept regarding the Holocaust and why nothing was done about it.
April 5, 2008