The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia Reviews

April 17, 2016
It's watchable but very depressing. There are dysfunctional families and then there are the Whites. Not to mention this story is rather scattershot with no real narrative.
½ February 29, 2016
The early family started out as Rebels and devolved into government dependent drug addicts. The tragedy is about the kids being raised in their sickness. With all that, a pretty entertaining flick.
July 29, 2015
I was actually turned on by the women in this film. My next wife is definitely gonna be chosen from a WVA Walmart on a Sat night.
½ December 26, 2014
On the surface, this documentary could be seen as a mockery of redneck West Virginians. But the Whites represent all the families around the world that are the products of generations of no education, entitlement, crime, rebellion, and religion. Add drugs and alcohol to the mix, and you have any provincial family in the United States. (And I've never spent so much time watching a story where my jaw hurt by staying agape for so long.)
½ November 12, 2014
The Whites are undeniably fascinating, but Nitzberg fails to construct his footage into an interesting story.
October 9, 2014
Seeing Johny Knoxville as the Executive Producer, it doesn't shock me that this was a movie exploiting the biggest collection of hillbilly trash I've seen since Deliverance. While it's a decent documentary and very informative re: this disturbingly uneducated band of trash, the local Defense Attorney said it perfectly at the very beginning: a local kid got accepted to MIT. Why isn't a camera following him around? This documentary is a saner, longer version of Jerry Springer.
½ July 23, 2014
highly entertaining, this fucked up family
June 20, 2014
When I first started watching it, I kept rolling my eyes (which I never do). But as we go along on this interesting journey, so-to-speak, there is a truthfullness to it that so many docs lack. T
These Whites are completely unfiltered, trashy, horrible parents and by the end of it, I understood why.
Living off of the government for generations becomes part of their DNA. And it's very (almost imposible) to escape.
I know..we all have choices. However, some of us have less choices and some of us have no choice other than to follow in their "parents'" footsteps. Especially in such a remote area as they are in West Viirginia.
It didn't help matters having the son of Hank Williams Jr. playing music to the untalented (and delusional) lead character.
Thus, as a documentary, it was wonderful, because they were not part of Shakespeare's "All the world's a stage and all it's beings are actors.
There was no acting, no hiding and complete pride in their drug and alcohol abuse.
I watched it 3 times and wish it would come on again so I could DVR it. By the end I knew these people and found good in only one...but that was enough for me..
April 23, 2014
This wonderfully captures the epitome of white trash and their attitude. I am grateful that the movie didn't come with scratch and sniff cards.
January 18, 2014
An unintended gem that careens out of control much like the family it's about........can't turn away as you thank your luck stars you live nowhere near these people.
½ November 21, 2013
Very entertaining, mixed with sadness...
September 26, 2013
I grew up next door to people like this. They may seem charming and funny here to some but it's a nightmare when you have to deal with them every day. And surprisingly it's not funny in any way when your house is robbed on multiple occasions. Maybe this is just too close to home for me but it was unbearable watching and frankly I didn't finish. I couldn't.
August 24, 2013
horrible excuses for human beings
½ August 17, 2013
Entertaining and heart-breaking glimpse into one of American most infamous southern Bad Ass families: The Whites. It appears that this film started off as one thing and then turned into something entirely different. Financed by the folks who bring you the Jack Ass movies, this film is at once funny as hell and then grimly real at the same time. The White Family of West Virginia are "bad asses" and "country rebels" but they are also people. Director, Julien Nitzberg seems to have not only gained their trust but their respect as they allow him to film everything over the course of a year. This is potent filmmaking reminiscent of The Maysles Brothers' Grey Gardens documentary. Though, perhaps not nearly as artistic or as objective, Nitzberg shows us the aftermath of a family gutted by the coal mining culture. As tough as life seems, there is a certain sad self-awareness of the elder sister as we follow the family through a year filled with tragedy, love and some triumphs.

Interestingly, while I expected to feel guilty about laughing at some of what happens to The Whites - the family itself seems to survive on rolling with the punches and making the most of bad situations to which they have become as much a party to as victims.

Graphic and at times hard to watch, this will not be for all tastes. If offended by the profane -- you will want to skip it.
August 13, 2013
I'd like to say and or wish, the Whites do not represent the West Virginians. They live a life as if there is no tomorrow. They kill and commit crime as if it is no big deal. And they live on drugs. They snort pills. The sell pills. The are junkies basically.

The documentary was good since it gives you an opportunity to have a look into their lives, a chance that many won't get otherwise.

3 *s
½ August 9, 2013
Good documentary about Hillbillies pretty much, it has some disturbing facts about the White family. This isn't a movie about race at all despite the title (That is just their last name) before watching I thought it sounded like a Ku Klux Clan documentary. I thought it was interesting too see how some people live their lives. In some ways this was a frightening, thought provoking documentary.
July 10, 2013
I watched this expecting an trashy exploitation movie showing West Virginians to be complete imbeciles. And what it is, is....just that, only it tries to be more, and kinda sweet. But in the end, any scene in which a character is not snorting a Xanax off an inappropriate surface is boring, as these people are simply idiots, and that's all they come off as when they're not being morally repugnant idiots. This is a movie that wants you to laugh at terrible people and forget that you're the one watching it for entertainment, and though you might occasionally laugh, you'll feel like an awful person for doing so. I can see some defending it for showing the consequences of this lifestyle that is a relic of the heyday of coal-mining, but on the other, correct hand, all the awful behaviors are played for laughs with whimsical bluegrass music, so this is no documentary trying to find the roots of an issue.
July 7, 2013
For those who want to feel better about their own families, I would give this documentary a watch. Streaming free on Netflix and Amazon Prime.
June 28, 2013
i like it for all the wrong reasons.
½ June 26, 2013
A train wreck of a film that you must watch, with the kids in the other side of the county.