The Air I Breathe - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Air I Breathe Reviews

½ February 6, 2013
A pretty stiff and pedestrian movie with some great actors who deliver only mediocre performances. The plot twists are nice but predictable once they occur which results in a rather anti climactic ending. The basic premise here is interesting it just wasn't delivered in a manner that satisfied me.
January 2, 2013
I really didn't expect to like this movie as much as I did, after all several critics had refereed to is as a tame re-packaging of Pulp Fiction. The film is broken up into four parts that are out of order, and the characters all do eventually interact, there is also a mafia angle to the film, but overall besides the way things were laid out, I didn't really draw much of a comparison to Pulp Fiction. The stories all involve these peoples interactions with the mob, but they're all for different reasons and all have different outcomes. Andy Garcia is the boss, of course, always the perfect choice for a gangster or ruthless leader, and you get from him what's expected. What isn't expected is the tremendous performance of Brendan Fraser. I am not a fan and have never really considered him anything but a mediocre comedic actor, but after seeing The Air I Breathe, my opinion of him was definitely swayed. While watching the pieces, I knew they would somehow come together, but the way it was done was completely unpredictable and really something to watch. The film had a huge cast, with a ton of cameos, and just as many twists and turns. What I was expecting was far different from what I saw and I was more than happy with the way the film was done. I think if the film had been done in the traditional model of storytelling, it wouldn't have had as big of an impact.
December 31, 2012
A solid movie, that fell short of being anything really special. It certainly features a strong cast, but I can't shake the feeling that it might have worked better without the big names. I felt the roles of Andy Garcia, Sarah Michelle-Gellar and Kevin Bacon, not to mention Forest Whitaker, were a bit pointless and their talents almost wasted in this movie. I'm certain they saw something in this movie (or in the script) that I did not. For me, the movie just didn't click. For what it's worth, Brendan Fraser puts in a very good performance and was the pick of the bunch in my view. This film kept my interest but it isn't one I'd go out of my way to recommend to anyone else.
½ December 28, 2012
i just was in awe with the whole movie, all the actors and actresses did a great job. It sort of reminded me of the movie "Crash" the way everyone intertwined with each other. Really great drama.
½ December 24, 2012
decent action flick sŁnkroonsusest.
December 22, 2012
i loved this took a while to get going... but i had to watch the deleted sceens and the comentary also. never ever have I seen Brendan Fraser in this type of role. NICE!
December 9, 2012
Not a very good movie at all. The plot....well, there really isnt a plot. Dont waste your time. This movie did very little with such a great cast.
November 25, 2012
Not nearly as bad as many have proclaimed, but with a cast as expansive as this one would hope to get something enjoyable out of it. The problem isn't that the four stories aren't woven together well, but rather that in the end we really don't take much away with us. Nice to see an ensemble piece where no one steals the show, and an enjoyable enough little film that tries its best but ends up leaving us feeling like we've seen this done better.
½ October 19, 2012
An attempt to copy Magnolia but failed.
October 7, 2012
Kind of another crime ensemble like Traffic. The best storyline is the one with Fraiser and Geller.
September 8, 2012
follows the 'ammores perros' formula of several seperate stories of life in the city of angels that all come together around an incident
½ September 6, 2012
ahh.. what can i say?
this movie is so misterious,. good enaf for me, to kept me not sleeping in one nite.hmm
August 27, 2012
When a film's main premises are: a) Brendan Fraser being a psychic badass, b) Andy Garcia being anywhere in the film, and c) relying on Sarah Michelle Gellar's "acting talent" you know you're gonna shoot yourself in the foot before pre-production even begins. It tries too hard to be Crash and Magnolia tied together and ends up being a boring ultra-violent piece of trash that makes no sense at times. BUT...Emile Hirsch is excellent, as he always is.
½ August 25, 2012
brendan frazer can act!
August 19, 2012
Some good moments but, as a whole, nothing special.
August 18, 2012
Four stories that collide into one. Well done for an indie movie - probably the best indie I've seen yet. The acting by all the major players (Whitaker, Fraser, Geller, Bacon and Garcia) was compelling. {I do need to admit here that Fraser and Geller are two of my favorites} The stories are short and connect in simple, subtle ways. The overall movie is a winning effort. It deserves the R-rating for violence.
July 1, 2012
A great cast gives full on dramatic performances in this ensemble film. Some of it is really good, other parts border on self-parody of the types of powerful character dramas it aspires to be.
½ June 27, 2012
Interesting for a while, but takes a complete nosedive toward the end. It is notable however that Brendan Fraser can actually act.
June 26, 2012
Forest Whittaker, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Brendan Fraser and Kevin Bacon are four characters who either directly, indirectly, unknowingly or knowingly help each other one way or another throughout the film. This really is six degrees of Kevin Bacon in movie form as fans of Lost and Heroes will love how the characters are destined to touch each others lives right up until the final scene.