Alps (Alpeis) Reviews

• Sep 25, 2020

this picture is weird and it's meant to be weird and so the charm comes from that with unique writing and directing.

• Jun 27, 2020

A bleak film in the style of Dogtooth

A bleak film in the style of Dogtooth

• Apr 18, 2020

Take "Kynodontas", detract the claustrophobic setting, the mystique of the premise and the surprise factor, and you have "Alps": watered-down, nerveless and wholly unremarkable. As a successor to the breakthrough, and trademark, movie of Lanthimos and Filippou, it treads familiar ground instead of moving forward, and it does so in a decidedly less captivating manner.

• Dec 31, 2019

I could not really follow this movie at all. It made about as much sense as a housefly in outer space. Eventually I understood that these main characters were basically role playing people who just passed away, but then one of them I guess took it too far and went a bit crazy. The end just comes up unexpectedly like a mafia film. Too weird for me.

• May 24, 2019

I enjoyed The Lobster, and I wish I liked this better. The cinematography is pedestrian, deliberately I guess, almost provocative - and I did not care for that. ( It comes to life during the gymnast routines, where the director cannot contain his excitement!) And this is a movie you would benefit from visiting it twice. But who would want to?

• Nov 09, 2018

There is a mesmerising element considering the photography that made me really eager, in the beginning, to see what is going on but it turns out to be a flat and quite boring film.

• Nov 04, 2018

I love the dark, disturbing, surreal, absurd style of Lanthimos, I really do! But in "Alps" something is missing. A structure, a shape, a meaning. What it misses is some glue to keep all the strangeness together.

• Feb 01, 2017

It has a plot that is inspired, and delightfully surreal. But the execution of it is dreadful. The imagination does not run wild in Alps. Visual speaking, it is a huge letdown. Everyone in the film seems half dead, sleepwalking through the film. Grieving with death is a concept that only makes sense if it is dealt with accurately. Now, I know that Alps is a surrealist piece, but it just didn't resonate with me emotionally. It didn't hit me where it clearly wanted to.

• Aug 23, 2016

Alps was so close to becoming another brilliant Yorgos Lanthimos film but, unfortunately, it fell flat as nondescript, self-absorbed attempt at creating significance out of absurdity. I know for fact that Lanthimos is brilliant and he is one of my favorite filmmakers, but I can't pretend to enjoy this one. I never complained about Lanthimos' abnormal-made-normal stories and techniques and I never will (I love them actually); this movie, however, lacked the glue that hold these elements together and came out as an uttered great line. Alps is a good idea ruined by execution. Sorry, Lanthimos.

• Jul 28, 2016

The obvious bridge between Dogtooth and The Lobster, Lanthimos' films improve as his career progresses. If he just stepped on the gas slightly harder, the films would be even more effective.