Critics Consensus: The Amazing Spider-Man Is Certified Fresh

Plus, Savages is uneven, pulpy fun, and Katy Perry: Part of Me is Certified Fresh.

This week at the movies, we've got a legendary web-slinger (The Amazing Spider-Man, starring Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone), a deadly cartel (Savages, starring Taylor Kitsch and Salma Hayek), and a teenage dream (the 3D concert documentary Katy Perry: Part of Me). What do the critics have to say?

The Amazing Spider-Man

73%

The Spider-Man franchise might have set a record for the quickest reboot, though critics say The Amazing Spider-Man is still entertaining, gritty, action-packed stuff -- even if we've seen it all before. It's the story of how Peter Parker (Andrew Garfield) gets bitten by a radioactive spider, becomes a superhero, develops a relationship with Gwen Stacy (Emma Stone), and battles a supervillain named the Lizard. The pundits say the Certified Fresh Amazing Spider-Man covers some pretty well-trodden ground, but Garfield and Stone are excellent and the action sequences pack a wallop. (Check out 24 Frames for a pictorial rundown of Marvel characters on the big screen.)

Savages

51%

Oliver Stone may have mellowed in recent years, but critics say Savages is a return to the disreputable Stone films of old -- one that's messy, but often queasily compelling. A couple of friends (Taylor Kitsch and Aaron Johnson) run a profitable marijuana-dealing business, but a fearsome Mexican drug cartel led by the ruthless Elana (Salma Hayek) insists on a partnership - with severe consequences if they refuse. The pundits say Savages is tonally uneven and a bit overlong, but it's also exuberantly pulpy and features fine supporting turns from Benicio Del Toro and John Travolta. (Check out this week's Total Recall, in which we count down Stone's best-reviewed movies.)

Katy Perry: Part of Me

78%

At first glance, Katy Perry: Part of Me looks like a tricked-out infomercial, but critics say it's a rousing and brightly-colored concert documentary that gives some insight into the star's offstage life. The film follows Perry on her "California Dreams" world tour, capturing her eye-popping stage show as well as archival footage of her younger days and glimpses of backstage drama. The pundits say that even if the Certified Fresh Katy Perry: Part of Me doesn't delve too deeply, it's still a revealing portrait of a likeable pop star dealing with the rigors of life on the road.

Also opening this week in limited release:

Comments

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

It's probably a fair-enough assessment to not trust any critic willing to give "Part of Me" the highest grade this week. "Brightly colored". OK. (Like Skittles...) As opposed to the B/W "Truth or Dare" that it is an obvious rip-off of?

"Collaborator" looks interesting, and I plan on checking out "The Pact".

Jul 5 - 04:58 PM

Sean D.

Sean D

Sometimes, I go to metacritc to see the average scores, and Savages and The Amazing Spiderman are ahead in average over Katy Perry.
What this tells me is that the good reviews are barely good for it.

Jul 5 - 06:58 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

"Be yourself and you can be anything". Says the girl who changed her name to escape her Christian Rock career. I think this is the kind of circular confidence that is killing these kids today. But I always thought that Katy was just such, almost like, you know, an actual person or something. Totally not a Pepsi/Citigroup model.

Jul 6 - 07:59 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

I think you hit the nail on the head of why so many critics find the film more fascinating that it is. An inside look at a marketing process where the product is a shallowed out human being and the market is chalk full of kids in entering the age of identity crisis. Obviously the point of the film is to sell Katy Perry in her post divorce career and to stretch out that extra 15 minutes for as long as she can before she "re-defines" herself but the un-intentional under tone of how something spectacular is really a cycle of manufactured auto tuned nihilistic pan handling.

That or 3D cleavage has captured the hearts of the critic circle.

Jul 7 - 10:22 AM

I fight for the users

Ian Fastert

Ditto. I'm still seeing Savages anyway.

Jul 7 - 03:57 AM

Bertram Krogh

Bertram Krogh

The Amazing Spider-Man is a go, as all other high-profile action flicks.
Part of Me, not so much. I am not interested in Katy Perry.
Savages is definitely a go, I have been looking forward to it all year.
I might watch Collaborator and The Magic of Belle Isle, but the rest are no-go‚??s.

Jul 5 - 05:24 PM

Epic Barney Funk

Barney Funk

Forget Spidey, I am more interested in Savages. Katy Perry is not bad either if you know what I mean.

Jul 5 - 05:47 PM

Jonathan Edward O.

Jon Owens

so basically TAS is the same movie as the first one but with a new coat of paint.... sounds like what people were saying about the hangover part 2 ...

Jul 5 - 06:19 PM

Michael Keppy

Michael Keppy

You are missing out on a great movie... One word.... Wait for it.... AMAZING!

Jul 5 - 06:35 PM

Josh Leitzel

Josh Leitzel

It's not exactly the same. It actually has a lot of new material in it. But it is a reboot and you can only change Spiderman so much.

Jul 5 - 06:41 PM

Jonathan Edward O.

Jon Owens

not true look at the Incredible Hulk.... this movie would have been much better if they just showed the origin in the begining credit reels and than went strait into Spider-Man being Spider-Man

Jul 5 - 10:36 PM

Joshua Henderson

Joshua Henderson

Yet this is higher than the TIH when it comes to the tomatometer. You act like that one is more successful critically.

Jul 6 - 07:44 AM

Jonathan Edward O.

Jon Owens

just got back from seeing it.. I was bored to tears!! lierally nothing new was added to this movie to make it stand out from or better than the one 8 years ago... it just makes me really depressed because i would have so rather seen a fourth one...

Jul 5 - 10:31 PM

tgibfo

Matt Ritchey

Fully agreed. I had no problem with the idea of a reboot and I've been waiting for the Lizard to be the main villain forever - but wow, I was bored out of my mind. If you're going to tell the same origin story, make it interesting!

Jul 5 - 11:38 PM

Mr. Dufresne

Chip McNair

I don't agree, Jonathan. The origin was so excellently handed here (in my opinion) that I think it helped the film. We're supposed to truly feel Peter become Spider-Man by the end, and this film definitely achieves that by telling the origin.

Jul 8 - 11:05 PM

Jonathan Edward O.

Jon Owens

I just didn't like how they dealt with different aspects of the origin in this film..like Uncle Ben dying way to fast, sees a pic of a wrestler and instantly knows what the costume is going to look like, he seemed to come up with the name spider-man in the blink of an eye with no thought, where the f was harry, the web shooters.. etc. I also did not like the stuff that seemed way to similar to the first movie like how The lizard kept talking to himself just like green goblin, rephrasing the "with great respsonsibility" line, peter forgets to do something while he was out fighting crime so uncle ben is dissapointed (picking up aunt May vs painting the kitchen), etc.. and they made the relationship between Peter and Gwen soo drawn out! it took up to much of the movies length, i would have rather scene more crime fighting or lizard shenanigans.

Jul 9 - 06:46 PM

Mr. Dufresne

Chip McNair

Eh, I disagree. And as for Harry, in the comics Peter didn't even meet Harry until college, so they could be saving him for a sequel. Also in the comics, Peter developed the costume before he even became a crime fighter; he developed it when he was performing and showing off, before Uncle Ben's death. And not to sound rude, but if he has spider powers, how long would it take to come up with the name Spider-Man? And I really loved how they "drug out" the relationship between Peter and Gwen; I just really felt those two connect with each other through the course this film. I mean, I understand your complaints, but you have to forget about the first movie when you watch this film. Otherwise it's impossible to truly enjoy it.

Jul 9 - 11:09 PM

Michael Keppy

Michael Keppy

You are missing out on a great movie... One word.... Wait for it.... AMAZING!

Jul 5 - 06:35 PM

Josh Leitzel

Josh Leitzel

Jul 5 - 06:41 PM

Jonathan Edward O.

Jon Owens

Jul 5 - 10:36 PM

Joshua Henderson

Joshua Henderson

Jul 6 - 07:44 AM

Sean D.

Sean D

What this tells me is that the good reviews are barely good for it.

Jul 5 - 06:58 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

Jul 6 - 07:59 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

That or 3D cleavage has captured the hearts of the critic circle.

Jul 7 - 10:22 AM

I fight for the users

Ian Fastert

Ditto. I'm still seeing Savages anyway.

Jul 7 - 03:57 AM

Sir Phobos

Sir Phobos

Amazing Spiderman was okay, definitely not as good as The Avengers. At the end of the summer I think my list will be...
1) The Avengers
2) Dark Knight Rises
3) Prometheus
4) Amazing Spiderman

Jul 5 - 07:03 PM

Noah Abraham G.

Noah Abraham Goucher

I hope you see more than just THAT this summer.

Jul 5 - 10:58 PM

shadypotential

Chris Cox

says the delusional fanboy

Jul 5 - 11:43 PM

Ganesh Kumar

Ganesh Kumar

why amazing spider-man at 4? take out from list. it worst

Jul 6 - 05:14 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Is it seriously worse than Prometheus? Prometheus Broke my heart and I'm an even bigger Spidey Fan. Is this film going to kill me!

Jul 7 - 10:25 AM

MisterVile

Mister Vile

A good movie doesn't have to be the best. Only thing that matters: is it worth buying a ticket for?

Jul 6 - 07:42 AM

Sir Phobos

Sir Phobos

I thought Spiderman was good, just not real good. I have seen more than the 4 movies, just giving you my top 4.

Jul 6 - 10:36 AM

Superzone

Link O'Fett

My list so far this summer of movies that I've seen:

1) The Amazing Spider-Man
2) Prometheus
3) The Avengers
4) Brave
5) Ted
6) Snow White and the Huntsman
7) Men in Black III
8) Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

Spidey is my favorite film of the summer so far. We'll see if TDKR beats it in a couple weeks!

Jul 6 - 05:37 PM

THGhost

THGhost .

Swap the last 2 around and you've got my list.

Jul 10 - 04:14 AM

Alberto Zeeky

Alberto Zeeky

This Spider-Man film had a very fun vibe to it, Garfield gives a very appealing Parker performance, much more of a sarcastic personality compared to Tobey's extremely humble and sensitive ways.

I'd consider it to be as good as the first Spider-Man to enter the original trilogy, and far better than that travesty that was Spider-Man 3.

By far though the best thing about the film was the whole mystery that was enforced through Peter's parents and the fact we actually have no idea what character it was that appeared at the end of the film.

I'll gladly welcome the sequel if it can be just as fun.

Jul 5 - 07:05 PM

Michael Keppy

Michael Keppy

Indeed

Jul 5 - 07:11 PM

Jonathan Edward O.

Jon Owens

you mean the sequel bait??? i think that was normon Osborn who else could it be??

Jul 5 - 10:33 PM

Joshua Henderson

Joshua Henderson

Rhys Ifans said it was not Norman Osborn as claimed by Ain't It Cool News.

Jul 6 - 07:46 AM

Jonathan Edward O.

Jon Owens

Maybe electro?? didn't lighting go off outside when he dissapered?

Jul 6 - 10:27 AM

MisterVile

Mister Vile

Spiderman is supposed to be that way, so i agree Garfield is much better.

Jul 6 - 07:43 AM

Michael Keppy

Michael Keppy

Indeed

Jul 5 - 07:11 PM

JohLohB

JohLoh B

This is one of those times I think the critics are completely wrong and it's actually disappointing. TASM was incredible in my opinion. It's a great superhero movie to parallel The Avengers this summer. (Avengers is still my favorite super hero movie of all time, but TASM took it back to that Iron Man/Spider-Man 2 vibe. A few characters to connect with, and one villain to have one-on-one close combat fight scenes with.)

Spider-Man 2 > The Amazing Spider-Man > Spider-Man > Spider-Man 3

The fact that I thought TASM is better then the first Raimi Spidey is huge. I loved that one. But I think TASM got everything perfect. I actually cared about Peter and Gwen's relationship, while in Raimi's trilogy, I liked Tobey, but never cared much for Kirsten (or MJ as a character... Don't even get me started on her in SM3).

Also, I feel like the people saying TASM even tried to be as gritty as TDK watched a different movie then I did. Theres only a few moments in TASM where it's truly gritty (which btw, are moments I actually connected with). Besides that, the movie is actually very light hearted. The comedy, specially Spidey's smartass comments are on point, and the score is a perfect heroic sound to parallel the gritty LOOK of the film (the color grading look they chose is really the only thing I find "gritty" about the film).

Really, only the first 40 minutes hit similar plot points to SM1. But if I'm not mistaken, they're important points in the comics, no? They had to implement those moments. Plus, I think they added interesting things to those moments and made them different enough. The last two thirds of the movie are all fresh material.

Oh, and one more thing... I don't want to spoil the action sequences, so let's just say... Spider-Man vs. The Lizard is prolly the best yu've ever seen Spidey on the big screen, and in IMAX... Yu might just s*** yourself!

Jul 5 - 07:12 PM

Aunt Tracy

Aunt Tracy

Your comments here are bang on. I thought very much the same as you did. It exceeded my expectations and the Stone/Garfield relationship was so much more believable and real then in the previous 3 movies with Maguire and Dunst.

I don't understand how anyone could not have liked it. It was a 4.5/5 for me easily. Can't wait to see what they do with #2!

Jul 5 - 10:17 PM

dudemeister

dude meister

Agreed. I'm pretty disappointed with that too. I think it deserves much more acclaim than it's been getting, if you ask me. I thought it was fantastic, and Andrew Garfield was incredible. While I love Spidey 1 & 2, I feel they've become rather dated for movies than are relatively new, and can't bring myself to watch the first again. I think I'd put it on par with Spidey 2, maybe even better.

Jul 6 - 04:25 AM

JohLohB

JohLoh B

Glad someone agrees with me! I'm not saying it was a perfect movie, but 73%? Really? The fact that it's tomatoemeter score is close to that of the near Transformerian level of mess that was Spider-Man 3, blows my mind.

Jul 6 - 12:40 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

I think a lot of old school critics don't like the idea of an updated Peter Parker. In all the more negative reviews I've read many a critic seems to be complaining more about how kids are these days and how Peter Parker is "suppose" to be a good guy trying to do the right thing, not a whiney emo angry Edward Cullen hair cut looking jerk who treats Aunt Mae badly.

Personally I haven't seen it, but I do agree the spider suit one-siee looks weird and it does look like this Peter Parker just stepped out of a hot topic.

I Like Emma and Andrew though so I'm hoping I'll enjoy this movie.

Jul 7 - 10:30 AM

Mr. Dufresne

Chip McNair

I completely agree, it is unfortunate that people can't get past the fact that it's a reboot. That's really the ONLY thing keeping more people from loving this film. I'll always be fond of Spider-Man 1 and 2 (I love 2), but this one beats them both. It perfectly captures the characters from the comics and feels more real and organic. It's like Spider-Man's version of Batman Begins, still maintaing the fun of Spider-Man.

Jul 9 - 11:33 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

The Amazing Spiderman ended up about where I was expecting it to. I'm not in a rush to see it, but I'll probably catch it in a few weeks after the crowds have died down and I am in need of a decent summer blockbuster. I am surprised Savages is rated as high as it is, since it looked like utter garbage to me in all the promotional materials I have seen for it. The Katy Perry flick will appeal to teenage girls, as the only part of her most men want to see is covered up. Spidey will definitely win the weekend. Whoever decided to release Savages in the summer instead of the fall needs to be fired, because it is opening against Spiderman and two weeks away from Batman, who are both the most bankable superheroes around.

Jul 5 - 08:08 PM

Movie Monster

Bentley Lyles

Katy Perry is fresher than Spidey? :O

I couldn't get around to seeing it on Fourth of July so I'll be catching TAS tomorrow or Saturday and I plan to see it in 3D. I've heard some say that it's a bit of a remake of the 2002 film. Grace Randolph from Beyond the Trailer said that she liked it but compared it to Superman Returns and said it was "a slave to the source material". I can't wait to formulate my own opinion.

Jul 5 - 08:15 PM

Linda B.

Linda Burke

I want no "part" of Katy Perry or Spider-Man. The Pact looks interesting. Maybe good for a rental.

Jul 5 - 08:39 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

If only I had some fava beans and a nice Chianti.

Jul 6 - 08:02 AM

George Patchell

George Patchell

Saw Spiderman here a few nights ago in Oz and I have to say its a bit disappointing. The movie is kinda all over the place and a bit messy.

*****SPOILER ALERT******

Well only sorta but when one important character meets there end it is kinda glossed over and forgotten quickly which seemed odd. The tonal shifts are too jarring and nothing is delved into deeply. There are too many strands running at the same time and nothing much is tied up. Overall its still fun and the casting is good but it didn't feel like epic film it should have being an even earlier origin story to Raimi's. Also it isn't as gritty as was advertised. Mainly just filmed at night. Whether or not that is a good or bad thing is up to the individual viewer. For me it wasn't a problem coz I know spidey isn't really as dark or gritty as Batman, though I think it could have benefitted from being a bit more like those films.

Jul 5 - 08:48 PM

Chip McNair

Jul 9 - 11:09 PM

Critics Consensus
Critics Consensus

Transcendence is a Sci-Fi Snooze

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Good Friday