The American Scream - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The American Scream Reviews

November 1, 2015
"When you're scared, you're most alive" is what aspiring haunter Victor Bariteau says in this documentary. The film follows three neighbors who recreate their homes into a haunted house attraction for that one special day of the year. It's an interesting look at the creativity and passion that these men and their families put into their homemade haunts. Worth a look if you're into this behind the screams story.
January 17, 2015
Perfectly fine. Nothing special or moving, this is simply what it promises to be. A deeper look into the lives and people involved could have really pushed this further.
October 18, 2014
Fun to watch for Halloween :)
June 29, 2014
This documentary explores the phenomenon of home haunters who haul ass all year to crest a horrifying experience for the neighbor hood.
May 25, 2014
I always find it interesting to see what other people consider leisure/hobbies/etc. That movie did this, but I didn't like that it had more than a little bit of a "isn't this sad" (judgy) feel.
May 2, 2014
"The American Scream" lacks any real complexity or depth, but it's cute and heartwarming and would probably make for a fun annual Halloween viewing.
November 25, 2013
The premise of the film is pretty fun in and of itself, but it's the peculiar personalities of the film's subjects and their obsession with homemade haunted houses that make the film watchable the whole way through. Some of the subjects are ordinary, and creating haunts is big-time hobby for them. Other subjects are a bit strange, and observing their mannerisms is interesting enough. "The American Scream" isn't close to what I thought it would be, but it's nonetheless satisfying.
November 12, 2013
For fans of Halloween, this is an entertaining and surprisingly emotional celebration of the holiday.
½ October 31, 2013
A decent documentary about the people who go all out with their Halloween decorations.
A decent watch early in the morning if you are a fan of documentary and like to see the effort people put into making their block something special for the holidays.
½ October 25, 2013
a really fun movie to watch and to see what goes into homemade haunted houses.
½ October 21, 2013
Heartwarming, really gets you in the Halloween mood.
½ October 21, 2013
An incredibly easy watch; sometimes funny, sometimes moving, always engaging.
½ October 14, 2013
So much heart in showing a hobby and lifestyle that comes along only one glorious day of the year
½ October 13, 2013
A terrific documentary that goes into three home haunters and see the process into making elaborate haunted houses. The moments with the father/son family was priceless and almost comedic. With his last documentary Best Worst Movie and this one, I can't wait to see what Michael Stephenson do next.
October 4, 2013
This documentary is awesome. On Netflix!
½ October 1, 2013
The documentary about three Massachusetts "home haunters", families that put on an amateur haunted house every year. Very entertaining and personal. Not to mention fitting for this season. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
½ September 23, 2013
An inspiring treat for aspiring home haunters, this documentary is a heartwarming and enjoyable film that centers around 3 families doing exactly what their heart pleases... scaring people on Halloween through their own homes haunted houses. The hardships they go through, physically - financially - and emotionally, is greatly inspiring. Everyone does things in their own way, from perfection to just about right, and in the end... the tears are only shed because of how beautiful it turned out to be. Truly inspiring.
½ August 12, 2013
I am an aspiring "home haunter," so it's a given I was very interested in the topic of this movie. The American Scream lived up to every one of my expectations. It shows the hardships of building, organizing and perfecting every inch of a homemade haunted house and, to my surprise, focuses on why people do it. Though the common answer is to scare people, we are given a much deeper look into the lives of the people who make these haunts and how much they sacrifice, financially and personally, to make their dream come true.
½ May 12, 2013
The American Scream is a great documentary with lots of heart. Simple and honest.
April 24, 2013
These people LOVE Halloween! Kind of like their lives depend on it...