The Angels' Share - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Angels' Share Reviews

February 23, 2014
This film portrays life in Scotland in a far more bleak way than Local Hero.

The makers use locations such as Glasgow, Loch Lomond and Edinburgh well.
½ February 23, 2014
Fairly nice Scottish film about a boy trying to escape his petty criminal path and change his life to become a good father. His girlfriend's brothers are beating him up, her father offers him money to leave town. He is befriended by a "community service supervisor" who starts him on the rocky road to a new life. This film won the Jury Prize at the Cannes Film Festival.
February 17, 2014
I expected something more from this movie, both because I heard a lot about it at the time he was in the cinemas, and because I hoped it, considering I liked the idea of this story from the first moment I've read it. But, in the end, was a normal movie, with some good points, but not to go far over the sufficiency.
½ February 16, 2014
La parte de los ángeles [2013]
February 4, 2014
Wonderful! Scottish film making at it's best. Didn't stop smiling till I woke up the following morning and realised I had to go to work. Maybe best not to take your Grannie along bust this is a genuine feel good movie. It sort of "Gregory's Girl" for grown-ups.
January 24, 2014
This is a must-see Scottish comedy drama that surprises and amuses throughout.
½ January 23, 2014
The acting was so good , it made me with sympathize them . The script is funny , some moments are hilarious . This film is realist Many subject are dealt with drugs , poverty and violence.
½ January 22, 2014
I love Ken Loach movies.
January 11, 2014
Being English I thought it would be easier with the accents, but I eventually tuned my ear. Great story... with a slant from the other side
January 7, 2014
Once again Ken Loach has joined with writer Paul Laverty to produce a vivid and realistic slice of working class Scottish life. This is more comedic than usual Loach fare but it is also hard and heavy in spots to give us a full and rich experience.
½ January 6, 2014
A feel good dramedy paced by an unexpectedly strong performance by the lead. Solid story line and good pacing, but the character development from beginning to end combined with the on screen chemistry of the rag tag gang almost takes it to top notch category.
January 6, 2014
Maybe it is just me, but I was completely bored. I only made it about 40 min in, and I had to turn it off.
January 5, 2014
Super bon divertissement!
December 31, 2013
Surprisibly brilliant ;)
½ December 29, 2013
I believe this is a my first Ken Loach film, but even before this, when hearing upon his techniques of withholding certain key moments in the script so the actors' reactions feel more natural, filming everything in order so the actors experience everything as they would in real life, infusing social commentary involving the working class in his films, naturalistic acting, etc. I'm definitely a fan of that and this movie I think succeeds in doing that, I found the acting in the film to be completely natural and organic, almost as if he just decided to let the actors shoot the shit and just act as they would if they really hanging out. It really helps the story feel more authentic and natural, there's only few parts of the film that feel truly scripted, and that's when the group are about to take the whiskey from the cask. I thought it got a little too silly for my own tastes, considering what the film had been. I didn't really have a problem with it, as the film is really well-made and the acting is really good, but it felt like something out of a completely different movie. But I found the story to be really good and surprisingly touching, it's easy to root for Robbie as he's very much trying to make a change in his life in order to give his son a different life to his own. The social commentary comes in the treatment of people that have already served their time and the prejudices they face when trying to integrate themselves back into the community or the hardships they face when applying for jobs. And in most cases, the crimes these people commit are relatively minor. So, in a way, it's an indictment on the system that incarcerates you in order to get you to rehabilitate yourself, but will discriminate you even if you've really made a change. The process of distilling is certainly very metaphoric for the changes the characters are trying to make. So I really liked this movie, strong story and believable acting make this a very good movie.
December 28, 2013
Worth every minute of your time!
December 24, 2013
Great whisky lore with a dram or two of criminological insight
½ December 12, 2013
A great look at urban Glasgow and scotch, even if it is a bit hard to understand them at times - gritty, humorous and good for whiskey geeks. A must watch!
½ December 11, 2013
A lark, but it's a serious-minded lark, addressing issues of class and culture, the haves and have-nots.
½ December 9, 2013
Kelpo elokuva skottilaisista hulttioista jotka päättävät toteuttaa täydellisen rikoksen.