The Ape (Apan) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Ape (Apan) Reviews

May 18, 2015
Jesper Ganslandt's film is a very grim, intense and horrific study of a man who at first glance appears to be a rage-filled man --- but it goes a great deal further than rage. Olle Sarri is exceptional. An intense, but disturbing experience.
November 27, 2013
well build, but too simplistic and negative.
½ August 4, 2013
No need to be a careful eye; director Jesper Ganslandt is a follower of Haneke cinematography, which is based on solid psychoanalysis of both borderline human nature and structure of society with a complicated resolution of history. This what Ganslandt does in this film.

I think what makes this film stunning is that the amount of moments we see ourselves in Krister. Krister is who we are and who we are completes the character Krister wee witness in this movie. He can be any of us, if we consist on the theory of that most of us are homosexuals subliminally. This is a story of not being. Of not being yourself, not taking your sexual identity in your hands as you like...

...Of not being who you really are.
½ October 21, 2012
Krister (Olle Sarri) is a middle-aged man who makes his living as a driving instructor. One morning, he wakes up still wearing his clothes from the night before and covered with blood; seemingly unaware of what happened, he cleans himself up, changes his clothes and leaves for work. As the day wears on, the terrible events of the previous day gradually fade into his memory, and he comes to the realization that he committed a heinous crime. As Krister wrestles with his conscience about what to do, he becomes increasingly aware that the life he knew is over, and a strange and uncertain new chapter has begun. As Krister ponders his options, he is particularly troubled about what may become of his son.

Jesper Ganslandt's "Apan" is yet another good example of a movie made in a simple manner, but due to strong direction and strong acting it becomes a hit in the gut. We see the consequences of a crime and the irrational behaviour from the main character Krister in a very intense way. Ganslandt takes us for a ride and we are not sure how it will end during the ride. Apparently Olle Sarri, who plays the main character, was not allowed to read the script before filming. The movie was shot in chronological order, with Sarri coming to the set every day without having the slightest idea what was going to happen. Also, everyone in the film team was instructed not to talk to Sarri, isolating him from the crew, making sure that nobody gave away hints about the story. This has most likely added to the strong performance. Olle Sarri has more or less just done comedy in one way or another before and is known for that in Sweden, thus this is something of a break away from that genre. I liked "Apan". Solid.
December 20, 2011
This is a chilling, frantic, mysterious and thought provoking film and while a casual aire of terror is present from the opening scene, it is driven by deeply emotional feelings.

Olle Sarri plays a man on the edge of oblivion and who doesn't really know what he is doing or how he got there. His reactions to this, as the truth slowly unravels, are erratic and somewhat bizarre however, in retrospect their plausibility only compound the tension.

This really is a must see film and one that could (almost) have been made without any dialogue such is the intensity of Sarri's wonderful performance.
July 17, 2011
Sterke film som ikkje øvefortelle. Steinbra skuespel og stemningsfylt te tusen.
June 10, 2011
En riktigt obehaglig film. Olle Sarri är makalös i sin rolltolkning.
½ May 25, 2011
The Ape tem como objectivo estudar um homem, aparentemente comum, com sérios danos psicológicos depois de, num dia vulgar, ter sido autor de uma chacina com a sua família. Não é um filme que vá agradar a todo o público, uma vez que segue o seu enredo de uma forma bastante diferente do que é habitual ver noutros filmes, mas a interpretação da personagem principal é tão natural e realista que acaba por nos remeter para dentro da sua experiência anormal e nos mostra, com excelência, todo o seu sofrimento. A direcção do filme e o trabalho de câmara estão fenomenais, a duração do filme é bastante adequada à situação e o final é, mais do que prudente, inesquecível. É um filme cru e difícil de digerir, mas também ganha pontos por ser único e bem sucedido na maioria do tempo!
½ April 21, 2011
Krister é um homem de meia-idade que trabalha como instrutor de uma auto-escola. Uma manhã, ele acorda com a mesma roupa da noite anterior coberta de sangue, aparentemente sem entender o que aconteceu. Sai para trabalhar normalmente e no decorrer do dia vai tendo consciência dos acontecimentos. É quando começa sua descida vertiginosa ao seu inferno interior.
December 9, 2010
2/10. 81mins of boring. (Dardenne bros should sue)
November 14, 2010
Annorlunda att följa en förmodad psykopats sammanbrott... Bra!
½ September 1, 2010
This emperor wears only tedium for clothes. The film reminds me of Sant's "Elephant". In that I find it also to be a con job undertaken by someone with very little to say, in vying for admiration.
...Unless this is a public service ad for the dangers that bluetooth headsets pose to human brain chemistry. In which case - its brilliant!
July 27, 2010
Wow, I didn?t expect much from this movie. Sure I?ve read some really nice reviews in magazines and newspapers, but still, it is a Swedish movie and all too often the Swedish critics likes to hype a fellow countryman?s movie. This one deserved all the good words it have received.

The lead actor (Olle Sarri) is for most Swedes known as a comedian, no longer will I look at him in the same way, he makes a fantastic performance as the man waking up with blood all over after something ( I will not tell anything about what, since I would not like to spoil anything for presumptive viewers) trying to continue his everyday life.

The film is dark, disturbing and one of the best Swedish films since ?Let the right one in?.

After finished viewing the film (exemplary short about 75 minutes) I got one of those glances from my wife, the ones I only get when she finds my taste in movies a bit to macabre, I have received these after films like ?Irreversible?, ?Happiness? and ?Requiem for a dream?.

Not a film for everyone, but if you are interested in some Swedish melancholy, this is the one you should watch.
½ July 20, 2010
Långtråkig (trots endast 73 min) och svenskt. Jag kan gilla denna typ av filmer men då måste det hända lite mer.
April 9, 2010
KRISTER, es un enigmatico ser, que acaba posiblemente de matar a su amante, y herir gravemente a su hijo, la pelicula nos relata el dia despues donde este hombre debe hacer frente a sus propios miedos y fantasmas. Una pelicula con un resultado bastante pobre, aburrida, que escasas veces refleja pese a intentarlo sentimientos, y con un manejo de camara (Generalmente ubicada atras del protagonista) lamentable.
½ March 8, 2010
truly outstanding film also one of the most uncomfortable viewing experiences.
Basically the lead wakes up covered in blood and you follow him throughout the day not quite sure what's going on but totally engrossed nonetheless. This is the antithesis to spoonfeeding with you being left to judge what might have happened and what is happening. it's haunting, harrowing, powerful, uncomfortable and uneasy. 95% of the photography is handheld, shot the majority of the time very close and behind the leads head. The audio, through a mix of actual volume and design bears over you fills in any empty area of your senses not already taken by everything else making it feel not quite claustrophobic but very internal (to the mind).
The performance by the main guy is also phenomonal, considering (and perhaps due to) the fact he was given a script daily to work with.
A real feel-bad movie. Director's words nor mine.
March 6, 2010
Premier long-métrage de ce jeune metteur en scène suédois. Une mise en scène très nerveuse, souvent caméra à l'épaule pour mieux nous faire ressentir la tension du personnage. Ce dernier a commis un meurtre et on le suit tout juste après. La tension est au rendez-vous. Une très grosse scène quand il essaie de se suicider. Un homme qui, avant tout, n'en peut plus de la pression de la société. Enormément de gros plans pour être au plus près du personnage. Ca n'invente rien du côté du scénario dans les grandes lignes. Mais c'est sympa et ça se laisse voir.
January 14, 2010
Ultrarealistic, deeply disturbing with an emotional blow that had a crazy impact because it was so undramatic in presentation. The actor is amazing and at 70 min it doesn't overstay it's welcome. But it makes you feel so bad. I think that is probably a good thing.