The Art of Getting By - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Art of Getting By Reviews

November 2, 2016
This movie was very well made, but it has been made many times before. A coming of age, whole future is ahead of you story with emphasis on the main character going through an existential crisis. SPOILERS. The solution offered to kids who may feel the same way is: just get the girl of your dreams to fall in love with you.
August 6, 2016
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?????????????????????????????????????????????????????? THE ENDING IS NOT SATISFYING!!!!!!! (Spoiler alert: they did not kiss at the end and they needed too, that is why you should not watch the movie unless you like sucky endings that leave you feeling unsatisfied.) Other than that, the movie was okay.
February 2, 2016
In summary: Nerds can win trophy girls too sometimes, and when they do, trophy girls might even have some depth.
January 27, 2016
I thought it was cute
January 26, 2016
anything is possible
January 1, 2016
Existential and arty. Liked it!
November 9, 2015
"The Art of Getting By" stars Freddie Highmore in the leading role as a very smart loner becomes entangled with his high school crush and begins to slack off in school when he can no longer focus. With themes about the meaning of life, the outlook on the world itself, and how love can find it's way back no matter what, this is a very well-made picture. A very small-budget film with a great script are always my kind of film, seeing as the crew and cast all devote their time to something they believe in. This story works on many levels and the editing style is very unique. The cinematography, mainly the filters used over the lenses for each particular scene, was genius. Although I think the film loses an insane amount of ground when the love interest, played by Emma Roberts, is an extremely unlikable character, going for his friends other than him. The first half is a very enjoyable indie film, but everything good is swallowed up halfway through. The cast is great but the characters are not likeable enough by the end. I really enjoyed the outlooks on life, but the film is kind of a mess otherwise and the conclusion really didn't feel earned.
½ September 17, 2015
Jag gillar alltid Freddie, åtminstone i allt han gjort som barn. Men jag får annars inte riktigt den feeling som filmen verkar sikta på.
½ July 4, 2015
A little weak on the script part, but still remains a good movie to watch.
June 29, 2015
Achei incrível por seguir uma linha de pensamento não-convencional, apesar de clichê.
½ January 19, 2015
muka Freddie Highmore terlalu imut -_- dan kemistrinya agak gimana gitu di sandingkan dengan Emma Roberts (kesannya kakak-beradik). yang saya suka cuma peran dari ke dua orangtuanya yang feel-nya dapat. Sally hanya cocok dengan Dustin not George but Sally and George like brothers.
½ January 19, 2015
i wanted to see such movie...
December 16, 2014
It was hard to understand because I was hard to catch heroine's mind.
However it left a long aftertaste.
Thus I want to watch this movie again.
December 9, 2014
i love Freddie Highmore but this was boring
November 14, 2014
Pointlessly miserable.
½ October 6, 2014
It's cute what this sleep-inducing bore thinks is smart and funny - sure, they said, let's have these teens talk like how [they think] adults talk, cause art! I can't think of anyone who would use "I was pondering death" as an excuse to not turn in their assignment. Also, George got on my nerves early and often.
½ October 5, 2014
You like her... You should like her if you don't.
September 18, 2014
An attempt at a movie like Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist falls flat with no real drive or purpose. There is no epiphany moment, and there is no real character development. Falls short of everything it could have been.
September 9, 2014
I was looking forward to watching this, but was pretty disappointed with the storyline. I didn't find anything romantic about it and the relationship between Sally and George didn't seem possible in real life.
August 27, 2014
Okay, if you don't want this movie spoiled don't read this..

It started out great, young senior in high school with big plans in his head, but melodramatic and mysterious, just the kind of guy girls like. However, the actors could barely pass for the age of 18. They looked like freshman, at most but they were trying to be passed at seniors. That being said, throughout the movie they had them going to bars quite frequently and having a beer or two. This is all find and well, but if I'm not mistaken the drinking age is 21, not 18 in New York City. After the halfway point, the acting got a little dull and I lost interest (what a surprise). Put all of that aside, it was very childish. The girl, was portrayed as a slut, but without the slutty side. The guy, said one "cuss" word the whole time and that was hussy. If you can even consider that a vulgar word. To top it all off, it suggested he smoke and drank however never showed any of this happening. It wasn't a bad movie, it had a great deal of potential it just needed more. Better actors, and definitely a more believable story. Amateur work, but the directors show promise. Maybe soon whoever directed this childish piece of work will blossom into something better. Until than, watch "the art of getting by" at your own risk.