The Art of Self-Defense Reviews

• 4d ago

This movie may come off as stiff of awkward, but the dialogue reminds me of a less energetic Juno or Scott Pilgirm. For some reason it also reminds me of Moonrise Kingdom, honestly the dialogue probably closer to Moonrise Kingdom, but those 3 movies should give some indication of the indy stylized dialogue movie this is. Surprisingly, I have to be careful of what I say about the movie in order not to spoil it. While I the movie is quite masterfully written, I'm worried about the value of the movie if you have all the information going in. The basics are that Jessie Eisenberg's character is victimize and in a search for self that is highly motivated (instead of your standard mid-life crisis), leading him to a newfound life of Karate and masculinity. This movie is a prime example of his acting ability and why he was considered to ruin the role of Lex Luthor later on (I'm sure he played it as written. Want another example, see Ryan Reynolds in Green Lantern, DC doesn't know what they're doing in movies). Give it watch, if for nothing else, just to see a 1 hr 30 minute setup to a punchline: it's beautiful. I highly enjoyed it and consider this masterfully crafted, I think anyone who is interested at all will like this, and (honestly, if not, then don't watch it, there are lots of movies out there, try Safety Not Guaranteed) I definitely plan on watching this again, possibly soon.

• Jun 05, 2020

Fast paced and ironically fun, The Art of Self-Defense serves plenty of dark humors while keep drilling deep into its source material.

• Jun 01, 2020

The Art Of Self Defense makes The Karate Kid a dark new option for learning to fight, as Jesse Eisenberg and Imogen Poots do it in ways unimaginable in their performances.

• May 31, 2020

It tends to nearly drag but it's still entertaining throughout. Then it's deep dark meaning behind it all follows a deep dark comedy as well that eventually doesn't disappoint at all. I Loved it

• May 26, 2020

A Arte da Autodefesa (2019) #IMDb #MovieReview 3,0 ⭐️ Jovem tímido é agredido por gangue. E encontra no caratê uma maneira de reerguer-se. Mas a academia escondia algumas coisas. Um pouco diferente do usual, mas interessante.

• May 25, 2020

Wish I could give it no stars. One of the worse movies I've ever seen! Toxic, predictable and boring.

• Debra R
    May 23, 2020

The worst movie I have ever seen. Do NOT bother unless you want to see the worst ever in people and feel completely depressed.

• May 16, 2020

Pretentious and unreasonable. Disappointing.

Pretentious and unreasonable. Disappointing.

• May 11, 2020

Interesting flick, especially the moral virtues and weaknesses it touched during its runtime.

• May 10, 2020

There was nothing remotely good about this movie.

There was nothing remotely good about this movie.