The Art of the Steal Reviews

• Mar 05, 2019

I don't know WTF people wanted from this movie. If you like comic-caper flicks like Snatch and Flypaper - this movie is for you. It's not Citizen Kane nor should it be. This is a fun flick!

• Dec 30, 2018

The twist s amazing loved this movie

The twist s amazing loved this movie

• Feb 18, 2018

formulaic, could have been good

formulaic, could have been good

• Jul 06, 2017

Truly surprised that this movie isn't at least an 80%. Fantastic cast, incredible writing, sharp direction, and slick, clever humor. Like many heist and con job films, this one shares some similarities, but is still original. The amount of detail, even for throwaway jokes (watch for an ice cream truck as just one example) just had me laughing out loud and dropping my jaw. A great action-adventure comedy. Everyone gets their "just deserts" in the end (see the movie to get that reference), including the audience.

• Feb 21, 2017

Fine, not much of a payoff, good attempt.

Fine, not much of a payoff, good attempt.

• Feb 14, 2017

Can't believe the poor ratings for this movie. It's a solid movie and it's well directed and acted.

• Jan 14, 2017

The two half-brothers and the art heist. I like heist movies, once they were making great ones, but not anymore. I have heard about this, though haven't seen it till now. Seems it's a decent film, but came at the wrong time of the history. You know, the same film 15-20 years ago would have made a better impact among people, as well as commercially. Nowadays, the youngsters want only superhero action-sci-fi films. That should not be the reason for a film's failure. Instead, they should have improved it in lots of areas. But still I liked a few things from it, like the information about mixing the real art with the fake ones, but still it remains as the real. The film is about two half-brothers. They are the art thieves and they have done many jobs together, but in their final one, one of them betrays. So the rest of the narration sets in a few years later when they join hands for another big art heist sidelining their differences. They form a big team and this time they are watchful over each other. Now comes the final act where the actual event takes place and with a twist the story comes to an end. An enjoyable film, little funny and had some good moments, But overall film was predictable, including the twist. Could be the director's best film so far. Kurt Russell was just okay, but expected a lot. The rest of the cast in this multi-starrer, does not look good, though contributed. Maybe the film characters were weaker than the story. They should have focused more on them to progress it, so it would have achieved the success they were looking for than what a few people praising it. I think it's okay for a watch with the low expectation. 6/10

• Jan 08, 2017

I liked that Canadian cities weren't used as US ones.

I liked that Canadian cities weren't used as US ones.

• Dec 26, 2016

Despite an interesting cast the story is convoluted… until it gets interesting at the end.

• Nov 05, 2016

Fairly routine heist film is vastly elevated by the presence of Kurt Russell in the lead. Without Russell, and also without supporting performances by Jay Baruchel, Matt Dillon, and Terence Stamp, this "Ocean 11's" wannabe about an art heist would likely not have been worth watching. I'm probably never going to re-watch this film, but Kurt Russell is alway worth watching no matter what film he's in (i.e. "3000 Miles to Graceland"). If anything, this film is a testament to the great of a screen presence and charm of Russell.