The Artist - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Artist Reviews

March 9, 2016
A great movie with great performances. Give this silent film a chance not bad at all. Standout performance for sure from Jean Dujardin!
½ March 9, 2016
I can't think of anything more courageous, than to make a silent movie in the 21st century. "The Artist" is an excellent period piece and a stroke of cinematic genius.
½ February 18, 2016
I love classics, but this one tried too hard to become one. It may get the academy honors but I doubt it will be remembered.
February 16, 2016
The best silent film I've ever seen, not that I've seen many. Very entertaining, and I can watch John Goodman in anything to cheer me up.
February 14, 2016
nice concept but a bit slow for me and I'd say it was overrated
February 7, 2016
Even better than the first time. Brilliant, masterful, wonderful, delightful. Art.
½ January 15, 2016
quite typical, but enjoyable.
January 11, 2016
I haven't watched a lot of silent films, but this ode to an art long gone was absolutely charming. Who would have thought no voices could be so fun.
January 9, 2016
Flawlessly performed by Jean Dujardin in something more than just an impression of a silent star, this movie is endlessly calling back to the golden age of silent cinema while at the same time providing an absorbing drama centered on the very tenderly performed romance between Valentin and Miller.
Bravo to Michel Hazanavicius!
½ January 6, 2016
Sweet, fun, funny. An instant classic!
December 31, 2015
'The Artist' brings back the memories of silent movie era to the millennium era which is a different approach and the critics definitely love it.. But to tell you the truth, they're kinda a little over-rated this movie.. But the power of this movie is even it is a silent movie but they're not boring.. So overall it's a great movie and definitely critics' favorite..
½ December 19, 2015
Don't be fooled by the black and white and mute dialogs, this is a great movie filled with drama, joy and comedy. But what makes this movie so great is the outstanding performances of Dujardin, Bejo, and of course the dog (jack Russell terrier). Worthy of its Academy awards.
December 15, 2015
Such nostalgia is a perfect tribute to the old silent Hollywood era. An excellent movie doesn't have to be piled up by special effects, it could just move the audience by an insightful script, sounding performance from the cast (even without dialogues!) and involving music score. The Artist is a gift for film lovers, and I can see it's going to sweep through the Oscars. P.S. I love the dog!
½ December 13, 2015
I was under the impression that the Artist was going to be a soft, joyous film about movie stars hopping around and showing the "magic" of silent films. I was pleasantly surprised when I found that there was a lot of depth and emotion put into this film. There are very dark, fiery moments as George descends from his role as a star to a forgotten actor. There is amazing chemistry between the two leads that goes beyond tapping together on stage. It's serious and deep and you see that. I can't get over how hot the lead actress was, she is magnetic in this film. My favorite moments were towards the end when he burned his old films and was contemplating death towards the end because it showed the depths of his despair. A very smart, creative ode to older cinema. There are many references to older movies like Citizen Kane, Sunset Boulevard and several others probably.
November 9, 2015
I really enjoyed this movie. I enjoy black and white films as much or maybe more (I like the artsiness). A great film with a great twist.
November 9, 2015
Sort of overated, just because it's silent and black and white it doesn't really mean the film is great. It's a great homage and tribute to the early days of filmmaking and all those old French movies, with mustached men and dancing women on stages. But anyway, it's quite interesting.
November 7, 2015
definitely not deserving of best picture, not bad though
½ November 5, 2015
An undeniably beautiful film. Fantastic acting, great cinematography, and sharp humor. This is the only film that rivaled Hugo in 2011. A must see for film buffs.
½ October 31, 2015
We need more modern silent movies!
October 31, 2015
While I thought this was okay, and only that, at the same time I'm not with all the kudos this garnered (which lead to high expectations on my part, which lead to some letdown when I finally got around to seeing it). It's a homage to the silent films of yore, maybe, but at the same time there's Singin' In The Rain and A Star Is Born to borrow from extensively. Throw in Asta, the pooch from The Thin Man series of the 1930's, and there you've pretty much got what I took as a not too inventive steal of the old stuff, worthy of a kitschy film school tribute maybe, but little more.