The Artist - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Artist Reviews

½ June 14, 2016
It changed my mind about black and white and silent films. Jean Dujardin and BĂ (C)rĂ (C)nice Bejo both were fantastic. I don't want it to win best picture at the scars but if it does I would understand.
½ June 11, 2016
Starts off very slow and boring. Picks up as it goes along with drama and plotting. The dog is quite wonderful as a side character and i liked how they played with sound in a dream. Thats just it this movie has some charms and quirks but just missed the mark on the whole. i find this movie overrated and quite honestly too copy cattish. I know this movie is an ode to silent films but it didn't really add much in terms of originality. It borrows heavily from sunset blvd, singing in the rain, and a star is born. Also most silent films have more dialogue or action than this movie-too bland.
June 6, 2016
Really cute and heart warming!
½ June 2, 2016
The artist pays homage to our classic age of film, but I'm glad movies have dialogue now. The lead performances were excellent and the film was well made. I just couldn't get myself fully wrapped around the story because it was very slow and got pretty depressing at times. It was cool to see a film fully pledged to impressing its audience with actions alone, but I cannot commend it for best picture
May 24, 2016
Interesting take on the progression/creativity of film, even despite the Great Depression.
May 14, 2016
More a great gimmick than a good movie.
½ May 8, 2016
In many regards, looking at the plot elements, it's basically a poor imitation of Singing in the Rain. The use of subtitles was inconsistent, so many conversation were missed. Neither of the main characters were relatable. The progression of the story itself was a bit choppy. In the end it was rather dull, and the characters were entirely forgettable.
April 25, 2016
Is it all a gimmick? Possibly. Does that make it any less charming? No chance.

This is a thrilling and endlessly charming homage to the glory days of movie stars and red carpets; before tabloids and TMZ.
April 18, 2016
Nods to several classic films, though I see a story arc which makes The Artist a cross between Sullivan's Travels & A Star is Born. Of course casting the director's wife - he must have written the script with her in mind - also harkens back to the silent era. She should be credited as the muse for Michel's Oscars.
April 12, 2016
Surprisingly exiting movie for having zero dialogue and sound other than music.
April 11, 2016
Marvelous! A modern silent film that is set in the late 1920s. It should delight anybody who appreciates classic films. (First and only viewing - 2/21/2012 in theaters)
½ April 8, 2016
The Artist 2011 it is a new film made like a silent film. only sound it has is the old style silent movie kind of music. it has John Goodman and Malcom McDowel from Star Trek Generations and James Cromwell as Zephraen Cokren from Star Trek First Contact all of which are in the movie. The film starts off with a movie premier for A Russian Affair with George Valentin in a large theatre made for an opera or play but shows a movie inside with an orchestra. It is set in 1927 prior to sound being incorporated into movie pictures.

Starts with an actor who enjoys the crowds fame.

Not everything said is given subtitles but is given to the audience to infer what is being said.

This is set in Hollywood and shows old Hollywood.

The names Miller, Peppy Miller.

There is Dancing scene behind the curtain back prop where we don't see the girl just the legs and feet.

They make a film called "A German Affair" and there are conversations where he has his mouth covered and no subtitles are provided.

There is one dancing sequence where they do multiple takes and each time they do it slightly different.

Peppy Miller becomes a big star.

We go to a 1929 and see a swashbuckler film in production.

John Goodman shows a sound added to a film for a screen test with a bunch of executives and says it is the future.

Then we have a scene just made up of sound effects no music and no voices laughing. He screens a lot but his voice does not come out. Then the actor wakes up.

Then we see the actor come to the studio where none but one is there with a newspaper and shows the actor who showed up the news article that reads "Kinograph Studio Stops All Silent Productions To Work Exclusively On Talkies."

Find a room filled with executives talking.

John Goodmen says they want new faces not old faces for these talkies. The public is never wrong.

The actor George says He is the one the public comes to see. And they never needed to hear me.

George responds to John Goodman "Make your talking movies. I'll make a great movie. And it's not like I need you for that!"

Looks back at a picture of Peppy Miller. And says fresh meat.

Makes Tears of Love.
Comes out same day as Peppy Millers movie

George Valentin says he is "not a puppet he is an artist!" Talkies are not serious. He is competing against talkies. When an actor becomes the director behind the film.

Peppy Miller the girl you will love to love.

The wife says she is unhappy to George. His responds so are millions of us because his film did not turn out as a success.

They split the screen at a dinner sceen with George on the left on the shady side of the screen and Peppy on the new brighter right side of the screen to show the new vs the old as Peppy Miller is being interviewed about why people like her after her first sound picture.

The old don't cary the spot light by their looks but now they can hear me.

Out with the old and in with the new that is life. I've made way for you George responds to Peppy.

The Stock Market crash happens.
George has made a bust unless his film is a success.

Peppy makes George's show.

Then we see a long line for Peppy Millers film Beauty Spot with a much larger crowd.

Then Dorris Georges wife leaves a letter on the pack of line of George's photos where Dorris drew on his teeth black saying she has left him pack his things. And by the way go see Peppy Miller's film Beauty Spot since that is who he is in love with any how.

Peppy Miller and boyfriend come to say how much they liked his film but George takes it the wrong way after reading his letter.

We hear Peppy Miller sing.

1931

George is in a much smaller home and a lot of empty alcohol bottles.

He goes to pawn shops to sell his belongings.

It has been one year since he has paid Clifton. Then he fires him. Clifton is James Cromwell. He can't pay him so he fires him and says he can have his car. Clifton says he does not want another job he enjoys working for George.

George Valentin sells his belongings at an action including his huge portrait.

1932

We see George his concscience and other figures from one of his earlier pictures show up.

Guardian Angel with Peppy Miller.

His shadow even walks out on him. George is displeased with himself and destroys his films sets it on fire in his own home.

His small dog runs out. Barks at a police officer like a Lassie film. Police officer rescues George Valentin.

Once Peppy Miller hears about George Valentin she rushes to see him in the hospital.

George had rescued the film they both once worked together on back in the 1920's.

Peppy tries to get George Valentine to work and John Goodman says be is a silent film actor and a nobody.

James Cromwell works as a driver for Peppy Miller now. And James Cromwell warns George of his pride and says Peppy Miller is a good person.

We find that all the belongings George sold were purchased by Peppy Miller and kept in a dark room all under sheets to protect them from dust.

George returns with his dog to where he started the fire.

Peppy Miller takes the car to find George. And drives like a crazy lady all over the road almost running into cars and disobeying the laws of the road.

George has gun to commit siueiside wiside as dog barks at him. We hear a bang but it was not the gun but the car that made the bang as ran into tree.

They do tap dancing as a big hit.

We finally hear them speak at the end as they breath after dancing for a sound picture and John Goodman says it was perfect.

And Action! Is the last line of the film.

Second best Silent film to win Best picture.

It is a really well done to make it look and sound great.

I did not realise or recognise the first time when I saw this film that I caught was the significance the first dance sequence was where all we see is the feet and how important that scene would be towards the end of the film when the roles are switched.

I also liked the shot where it begins with the George Valentin and then the reflection and we think that the film is shot starting with the reflection but it actually is him then turns upside down to the reflection. I thought that was a cool effect.

I also thought it was interesting how this film utilises sound, music and silence during this film.

I thought that the stair case scenes with all the people walking up and down reminded me of the Charlie Chaplin film Modern Times.
½ March 27, 2016
A great homage to the classic age of cinema in both it's look, tone and storyline. Not for everyone, but it's a treat for those who are even remotely interested in classic cinema or film in general. Simply a great film.
½ March 16, 2016
The movie is lightly funny and harkens back to old cinematic practices. This will be undeniably special to some, but unbearable to others looking for action and big budget spectacle.
March 11, 2016
The Artist captures the charm of silent films along with a feel-good story, great performances (even though they don't talk), visual wonder and a delightful tone. I hlghly recommend seeing this film.
March 11, 2016
One of the most original, poignant and creative motion pictures in recent memory which is brilliantly directed by Michel Hazanavicius. It is a love letter to a bygone era, this silent, black & white masterpiece concerns George Valentin, played by French actor Jean Dujardin who's layered performance is nothing short of phenomenal, he has already won the Palma d'Or and Golden Globe Awards for Best Actor and has just received an Academy Award nomination for his terrific turn; a narcissistic matinee idol and established movie star, who is every inch a silent-movie icon with his pencil-thin mustache, slick back hair and killer smile. Ignoring the warnings from Al Zimmer, wonderfully played by John Goodman a powerful studio producer who tells him that talkies will becoming the next big thing, but George does not listen and refuses to change up his act, his career falls into oblivion and he collapses into poverty and alcoholism, while a young bit-actress named Peppy Miller, superbly played by Berenice Bejo in an Oscar nominated performance her career takes off into full-fledge stardom. All the actors in this film are exceptional in their performances, in which they use body language and facial expressions to relay their meanings, and this speak volumes and greatly aids in telling the story. Superlative supporting performances from James Cromwell, Penelope Ann Miller, Mssi Pyle, Ed Lauter and Malcom McDowell. Special kudos must go to the scene-stealing Jack Russell Terrier who plays George's faithful dog who's every appearance on the screen will make you smile. The films majestic imagery is truly breathtaking thanks to Guillaume Schiffman's mesmerizing black & white cinematography; for anyone who is reluctant to see this gem of a motion picture because it is a silent movie, i say to them, do yourself a big favor and watch it, because you will be delightfully, surprised and throughly entertained from beginning to end. Funny, charming and heartbreaking a total cinematic triumph. Nominated for 10 Academy Awards including Best Picture and Best Director: Michel Hazanavicius. Highly Recommended.
March 9, 2016
A great movie with great performances. Give this silent film a chance not bad at all. Standout performance for sure from Jean Dujardin!
½ March 9, 2016
I can't think of anything more courageous, than to make a silent movie in the 21st century. "The Artist" is an excellent period piece and a stroke of cinematic genius.
½ February 18, 2016
I love classics, but this one tried too hard to become one. It may get the academy honors but I doubt it will be remembered.