The Artist - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Artist Reviews

May 8, 2017
A perfect film, clever, funny, and sad, I highly recommend it!
April 29, 2017
ONE OF THE BEST MOVIES I'VE SEEN!!°
½ February 28, 2017
I can't think of anything more courageous, than to make a silent movie in the 21st century. "The Artist" is an excellent period piece and a stroke of cinematic genius.
February 27, 2017
A gimmick and nothing more.
February 24, 2017
What an absolute masterpiece.
February 22, 2017
Great story, great plot, great execution, and even tickles the emotions a bit. The dog was amazing, and everything was amazing in this movie. Definitely recommend this movie as a 'date night' movie :)
February 15, 2017
I loved this movie the first time I saw it in theaters, and I still loved it the second time I saw it, nearly six years later. Michel Hazanavicius writes and directs a masterpiece that throws movie fans back to the silent film era, while guiding them through a story about one silent film actor becoming a victim of the transition to "talkies," and a fledgling actress who, by way of contrast, takes advantage of the opportunity to partake in the cinematic revolution of film's marriage to sound. As one could expect, their lives take two different and opposite turns, though they also intersect with each other throughout, both in their interactions with each other and the life and times that each character witnesses via the rough-and-tumble world of the movies around the Stock Market Crash. A wonderful story of fate and destiny, told by human emotion and drama, while actual dialogue takes a supporting role, supported throughout by Ludovic Bource's fantastic score. Within today's lens of technological achievement, including the mile-a-minute advances replacing those forgotten or left behind, the silent film era's decline was more than a transition in cinema; it was also a prophecy for the human costs and consequences of modernity's progress, and to consider this film historical drama would not be too inaccurate in that context. A must-watch for all movie fans. 5 out of 5 stars.
½ January 28, 2017
I didn't hate it but neither loved it. Its a great homage to silent films, just not my cup of tea and probably not a rewatchable film in my opinion. C+
½ January 25, 2017
Really, really enjoyed this. If you love movies you will love this.
January 22, 2017
Imagine Singing in the Rain if it was in black and white, had no songs and far fewer jokes and good dance routines. I loved the silent Hollywood era, so I really wanted to like this. But although it is competent enough, I found it very disappointing, given the critical acclaim it received. The dog is cute though.
January 9, 2017
Why was this movie so wonderful! This post is late, but I was still late as shit watching it. This a beautiful tale about how an artist can start believing their own hype to the point of self destruction. It's okay to change with the times if you're open to it. And most all done silently. It's a beautiful story of man versus man. Even when there are people holding you up, there's always going to be you. If you don't believe in yourself, then there's nothing else that can be done. Jean Dujardin and Berenice Bejo do an exceptional job with the Hollywood of yesteryear and show you how much fame can be fleeting. But, just the right spark can put you back on top!
January 9, 2017
The type of silent film that reminds you of the classics from the early days of film.
January 7, 2017
Great movie! I never thought I could enjoy a silent film but this film changed that. This movie is very fun to watch and a quick pace. A great time piece movie. Unbelievable acting, directing, and score. I loved the dancing and could watch George Valentin and Peggy Miller dance all day.
November 26, 2016
One of the greatest films I have ever seen. A real treat for any film addict
November 25, 2016
The Artist [Hazanavicius, 2011] Very artistically and playfully well done. 8/10
½ November 24, 2016
I heard a lot about this film, and before watching it I was afraid I could find it boring. Luckily I was wrong. The artist is a love letter to movies, a sizzling homage to the 20s, the 30s and to the magic of cinema, be it silent or not. Absolutely loved the direction, which perfectly conveyed the 20s feeling, as well as the little details such as the use of sound only in specific scenes. The two leads are perfectly cast, their expressions and acting are flawless. Kudos to the dog and its performance and to the director and the producers, who found the courage to make a movie like this in 2011! Ultimately uplifing and cheerful, The Artist is bound to mesmerize you.
October 20, 2016
One of the greatest French films ever.
½ October 1, 2016
Me gusta mucho que hayan hecho una película muda en el 2011, a pesar de que sea muda, no es aburrida, la historia me entretuvo y las actuaciones son buenas y el final me gustó mucho.
September 25, 2016
A must see for film students evereywhere! Let me rephrase that: A must see for everyone everywhere! I do not say this lightly, but this movie is as close to perfection as it gets. The script is very intelligent and sets up a deep dilemma that I did not completely understand until the very end of the movie. What a great payoff! The cinematography and direction are exemplary of what a visual medium is all about, and making not only a silent movie but shooting it in black and white was a daring and the right call in 2011. The cast is adorable, every character highly memorable and the performances are convincing and moving all the way. One of the best movies I've ever seen.
½ August 8, 2016
The Artist is a rare gem which celebrates all that is glorious about cinema, while also being a standout film itself. Jean Dujardin is perfectly cast as George Valentin, a dashing, debonair silent movie star at the top of his game. He's self-absorbed and unwilling to fully share the spotlight with his co-stars, but is still infinitely likable, mostly because he's not only excellent at what he does, but because he loves it so deeply. Dismissing the rise of 'talkies' as a passing fad, we witness him spiral into personal depression and professional redundancy especially when someone younger and feistier is threatening to supplant him. What makes this so clever is that Peppy, vibrantly played by the gorgeous Brnice Bejo, knocks him off the top spot by exhibiting the exact same charm and good looks that made Valentin such a star in the first place. Despite many scenes which drag, particularly in the middle, and often appear to be unnecessarily maudlin and drawn out, The Artist is overall a funny, sharp and deeply touching film that uses minimal dialogue, a perfectly apt soundtrack, stellar performances, clever symbolism and possibly the most talented on-screen animal in cinematic history to remind us why movies have meant so much to us over the years, and why their magic has endured the test of time.