The Assassins (Tong que tai) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Assassins (Tong que tai) Reviews

½ February 26, 2016
Review:
This us another one of those confusing Oriental movies that are hard to follow but the main concept is quite simple, everyone wants to murder Cao Cao (Chow Yun-Fat). There's also a love story running throughout the movie which is pretty straight forward but the rest of the storyline, went straight over my head. When the true reason, why Cao Cao is so evil, is revealed, I honestly didn't understand what the movie was truly about but it scores top marks for authenticity and cinematography, like many of the other Oriental movies I have watched lately. The costumes are truly amazing, especially Cao Cao's detailed armour and I'm happy to say that the DVD carries a dubbed version, so you don't have to worry about annoying subtitles. The action scenes were also impressive because they seemed real for that day and age but I really don't know why the director had to over complicate the storyline. Anyway, it's a watchable film, mainly for the great performance from Yun-Fat and the fear that he put in the people around him but the ending was a right mess. Watchable!

Round-Up:
This is the only movie directed by Linshan Zhao so it's hard to compare her other projects to this one but the writer, Bin Wang, also wrote House of Flying Daggers and Hero with Jet Li. I'm beginning to realise that a lot of these Oriental directors, certainly like to over complicate there movies with pointless detail which is, usually unnecessary. Maybe it's because I'm used to basic concepts from the Western market, why I'm finding it hard to get to grips with the these detailed storylines and I must admit, my mind does switch off once I have to read subtitles and try and keep up with movies. Anyway, I was expecting this to be an action movie, with a name like the Assassin's but it turned out to be an intense drama which I'm am in two minds about.

I recommend this movie to people who are into their history/drama starring Chow Yun-Fat, Yifei Liu, Xinyi Zhang and Hiroshi Tamaki. 5/10
½ November 16, 2015
Even Chow Yun Fat cannot save the movie with his magnetic star power. The same with the beauty of Yifei Liu, who narrates the film. Chow plays Cao Cao, and everyone wants him dead. The emperor, his own son, and a secret cabal that has raised assassins since childhood with one goal, to kill General Cao Cao. You'd think a movie with this much intrigue and subterfuge would be exciting, but is not. Barely anything happens in the movie, characters are present and they talk, but there's no action. There are two brief action sequences, might as well not even be there. Nameless soldiers fight assassins, there's no suspense or stakes and the movie fizzles out in a dull whimper. Despite its lush set design, costumes, and star power, The Assassins is a period piece misfire.
June 7, 2015
So?, I'm not sure if someone suggested this for me to watch on Netflix or if they just wanted me to watch it....but this was pretty bad. I like taking a chance though every now and then and expanding my viewing log. There's only a couple of things though that I come away thinking after watching this one.

1. Chinese film makers DO NOT believe in the theory of gravity or the basics of Physics. I saw people flying through the air because they pulled hard on a rope and a whole bunch of other stupid stuff.

2. Bad guys like to rape. If you're the bad guy, you must rape someone. It's science...wait, they don't like science.
December 5, 2014
A great Chinese historical drama
½ July 19, 2014
Decent take on the last years of Cao Cao.
½ March 3, 2014
Love Chinese historical stories
½ September 20, 2013
Not seen a movie as good as this for a while.
½ August 22, 2013
1/10: Got tricked by its intriquing title, but lousy movie. Waste of time. Avoid at all cost.
July 5, 2013
Very confusing plot. But as usual beautiful movie. Plus Crystal Liu Yi Fei!
May 3, 2013
Cao Cao era el general mas poderoso de china que no era emperador por que no quiso nunca ser emperador, sin embargo el emperador en si es un ser lleno de envidia que decide eliminarlo solo por que es alguien extremadamente poderoso que uno a uno durante 30 a~nos ha matado y eliminado a sus ma poderosos enemigos.

Los hijos de dichos enemigos son juntados en el orfanatorio del infierno y entrenados en las altas artes marciales con el fin de poner fin a la vida de cao cao con metodos tan extremos que al que le toca disfrazarse de eunuco le dejan la voz aguda por el resto de sus dias.

Una historia prodigiosamente ambientada pero que a veces es laaaarga como la cuaresma y que si no te a familiarizas un poco con la historia de este legendario general chino batallaras un poco para seguir los 6,500 nombres que cruzan por enfrente de ti

vale la pena invertirle el tiempo si las movies de periodo antiguo chino te gustan, yun fat chow como desd ehace rato da una actuacion elegante y digna pero eso de que es el ALaurence Olivier de los actores chinos ya se lo creyo un poco.

Vean la , disfrutenla, diganme que piensan.
½ May 3, 2013
An engaging tragedy more concerned with emotional trauma than being an action-driven epic, which it isn't,†The Assassins†(Tong Que Tai) nonetheless has its moments of visual wonders, including exquisitely composed shots seen through opaque mirrors and a startling late-night scene in which assassins float on a web of tightropes in mid-air.
March 30, 2013
An entertaining and glamorous project that focuses on the later years of general Cao Cao and the eventual fall of the Han Dynasty.
March 16, 2013
A well-done meditation on the personal sacrifices and violent means we employ in order to achieve some better end. Chow Yun-Fat is ferocious as a general at the apex of his power, who starts to feel the pressure of jealousy. Great special effects, and decent dialogue make up for a mediocre plot, but a definite exposition of Chow's acting prowess.
½ March 15, 2013
Had high hopes for this, but was ultimately confused.
½ March 12, 2013
A stark, brilliant, uncompromising tale of imperial intrigue and self-fulfilling prophecies, with a star cast helmed by Yun-Fat Chow and Yifei Liu, TONG QUE TAI (THE ASSASSINS) is one of the better Mandarin films in recent years, and easily ranks with such lush historical epics as CHI BI (RED CLIFF) and MAN CHENG JIN DAI HAUNG JIN JIA (CURSE OF THE GOLDEN FLOWER).

A fictionalized account of the events leading to the fall of the Eastern Han Dynasty in 220 CE, as seen primarily from the point of view of Gong Ling Ju-one of many refugees abducted as children, then brutally trained for a decade solely to murder the powerful Duke of Wei, Chancellor Cao Cao. A military genius, adored king, scholar and poet, Cao Cao has been unswervingly loyal to the Han, even feckless current Emperor Xian. But an astrological prediction cast years before foretells that Cao's destiny is to end the Han era-and Xian's courtiers will stop at nothing to thwart "heaven's will". Might their sneak attacks and murder plots only push Chancellor Cao into the rebellion they want to prevent? Or might Cao's growing affection for and trust in his concubine, Ling Ju, prove the weakness that gives her an opportunity to kill her lover?

Solid performances, gorgeous cinematography, and a taut script weaving spectacle with reflection make
TONG QUE TAI a skillfully wrought Asian history-based drama.
March 4, 2013
Interesting period of the Romance (of the 3 Kingdoms). Decently acted.
February 7, 2013
An entertaining Chinese epic based on the Three Kingdoms period of Ancient Chinese history, starring acclaimed Chinese action star Chow-Yun Fat.
January 24, 2013
The story line seemed pretty thin, wasn't really sure who was against who. The battle scenes are always worth watching and the costumes so elaborate. chow yun fat never disappoints.
January 20, 2013
Everything chinese cinema should NOT be, and another terrifying omen about what mainland could do to HK cinema. Hilarious performance by Hiroshi Tanaki, with hi-liner to mask japanese eyes. Yes, I saw through that mischief; apart of the aforementioned WTF, booming, dull, depressing.
½ January 20, 2013