The Assault - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Assault Reviews

½ June 4, 2015
A very well made true to life story about what happened on the Air France airplane hijack incident last December 1994. Thinking it is well detailed with all the drama and gunshots inside that plane when the GIGN swat team rescued the entire crew and passenger inside the plane. Awesome performances reminds me of watching Captain Philipps again. 3.5 out of 5
November 4, 2014
true story,french sas,terrorists,plane.emotional and action edge of your seat ending.
½ May 29, 2014
½ January 13, 2014
nada. It had some ok reviews but I watched it on netflix and it was overdubbed...badly. maybe that was the main problem but didn't hold my attention. I paid too much attention to the annoying overdub
½ November 12, 2013
Uninspiring movie about the true events of the Air France terrorist hostage situation when they tried it crash into the Eiffel Tower
½ August 29, 2013
Tense aircraft hijack drama based closely on real events. At just 90 minutes there's little character development; the focus is purely on the facts of the incident. Four Algerian terrorists hijack an Airbus, force it to fly to Marseille whereupon it is stormed by French special forces of the GIGN. Real-life exterior footage of the assault is successfully incorporated into the film, with the GIGN giving technical advice on the details of the assault. A captivating adrenaline fuelled drama that will keep your attention for its brief length.
½ August 14, 2013
mehr gewollt als gekonnt...dennoch einigermassen unterhaltsam
August 3, 2013
The four suicide-hijackers receive next to no attention. That is unfortunate because in the event they were veterans of Usama bin Laden's operation during the Afghan-Russian war. Their intent was to crash the Airbus 300 jumbo jet into what had been the tallest building in the world when it was constructed -- the Eiffel Tower. Still, the preparations against terrorism that Air France and G.I.G.N. had made prior to 1994 all came into play and are presented effectively. Contrary to the Americans in 2001, this Afghansi plot is stopped cold and the procedural flow of the movie blends into video footage of the actual retaking of the A300 on the tarmac at Marseilles. When people are shot in this film it is the real people taking real bullets. For Americans this should be a disturbing film start to finish: why did we not prepare and why not lock our airline cockpits? Avoiding the 9/11 attacks would have been so easy. Air France changed its rules after this attack and prevented any possibility of a repetition. Our FAA saw AF's new procedures but despite spending tens of millions on counterterrorism, FAA ignored the problem. And now every year the names are read down at WTC and it takes hours.
½ January 19, 2013
A fact-based thriller, The Assault (L'assaut) is a gripping, simple and an adrenaline-pumping depiction of a true terrorist hijacking and the events during the rescue operation. Subtle and minimalistic, this French movie is a formidable example of serious, tension-filled,and yet non-fictional film-making.

The ninety minutes of director Julien Leclercq are focused solely on the events which took place in Algeria and in Marseille,France during the Christmas holiday of 1994. Without much hesitation or any long introduction, the movie kicks off in fast pace and keeps its narrative so quick that the somehow "documentary" feeling remains completely unnoticed until the very end of the movie. With slow motion action sequences, stylish black & white camera approach and greyish cinematography The Assault remains extremely realistic and simple. Just what a real hostage movie should be.

Director Julien Leclercq decides not to develop any of the characters shown in his movie. The only one who receives more focused screen attention is Vincent Elbaz as Thierry. This could be considered a small flaw, as the impersonal approach towards the movie characters decreases the possible dramatic effect of the movie and the emotional stakes fail to further increase. However, given the whole concept of the movie, this is easily to be forgiven as Leclercq has obviously decided to keep his movie the closest possible to being a true non-fictional delivery.

With its simplicity, straight-forward approach and breath-taking pace, The Assault has managed to achieve what most of the similar Hollywood productions failed: to seem cool-bloodily realistic, to hold its stunning grip on the audience every single minute and to become an outstanding example of the movies of this genre.

Undeservedly criticized by the American critics (quite understandably, in my view), The Assault is a formidable French example of how a terrorist/hostages thriller should be made!
½ January 19, 2013

January 6, 2013
Bon film, la reconstitution du dit assaut est impressionnante.
December 22, 2012
Genuinely surprised by the lack of enthusiasm for this fantastic film. It deserves a lot of love for the way it crafts a tense but realistic thriller. SOmething of a different Christmas movie for me, this recounts the true events of Christmas Eve - Boxing Day 1994, as armed Algerian terrorists take over a plane. We weave in and out of the different facets that must deal with the crisis including those on the plane, the government, and the tactics team that will eventually have to take them down. The film is shot with urgency and perfectly recreates the feeling of dread and despair. Best of all is the historical for this film. People laugh and ignore the woman who believes this to be a suicide mission. Something we most certainly would make our first guess in this day and age. The action is incredible, considering it takes place in such a small space. The climax is repetitive in an invigorating way, as the terrorists and police trade shots without busting out into action heroics. I was completely engrossed by this little gem, which I may make a Christmas regular.
½ November 13, 2012
Not too shabby if you can get past the shaky cam. Reasonably acted from what looks like an up and coming bunch of French actors. Won't be everyone's cup of tea but give it a go if you like drama/action/past events you may have forgotten about stuff!
October 24, 2012
This movie was equivalent to Obama's past term = Awful
½ October 9, 2012
Given that it's a hostage thriller based on real events, the whole film completely lacked tension. I'm unsure what to blame for this, whether it's the acting, the script, the soundtrack, the camera shots or the casting?
Despite the terrorists killing in cold blood on multiple occasions, I still found myself unable to imagine from the surface of it, what the swat team had to fear from those four and didn't get an realistic sense of passenger/terrorist interaction and panic.
I debated switching off after 30 minutes, but stuck it out and am not sure it was really worth it.
All-in-all, a poor attempt to replicate and get the viewer to understand what was a very serious real life incident.
September 24, 2012
Very good film and even better when I realised I was watching a film based on true events with real footage intertwined with the film.
September 1, 2012
terrible movie, the voice overs were horrible as well as the acting.
August 30, 2012
**Action sequence spoilers**

This could have been so much better. Interesting setup but it completely fell apart in the final showdown inside the plane for one big reason: the entire firefight consisted of quick edits of jerky, handheld, super closeups. The result was a disorienting & incoherent firefight. I couldn't tell what the heck was going on. It seemed like there were only a few SWAT members (with pistols!) near the pilot cabin, being picked off one by one - or was it the same one or two guys shown over & over? Who knows? It felt like we were watching the same moment over & over again.

It also looked like the bulk of the SWAT team (with machine guns!) headed to the back of the plane and it takes several minutes before it becomes clear that they were busy getting the passengers off through a rear exit. The sharpshooters on a distant building roof don't seem to do anything. It wasn't clear what their perspective was, whether they could see anything or if they even took a shot. Later, they're seen running off the roof.

We see two people jump out the front cabin window, but then it turns out there are still 2 pilots left inside, along with several terrorists. How many people were actually in there? There's no clear sense of who is where, who's shooting at whom, how far away they are from each other, the general physical layout... after investing time sitting through the film's setup, I was "rewarded" with basically a music video of closeups of guns & people's faces. I wanted to like this film, but it's really hard to enjoy something that's nothing more than an endless barrage of disconnected images. Which is unfortunate because unlike films directed by hacks like Tony Scott, Michael Bay & others who use this type of mindless & incoherent action staging, the fighting in The Assault could really have had some emotional impact.
August 16, 2012
Amazing , thrilling and true. The acting is top notch and you won't see anything like this for some time.