The Assignment - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Assignment Reviews

½ September 20, 2017
Given the tech savvy abilities of our modern film makers I expected a bit more of a convincing "male" Rodriguez. Instead we saw a drag show. Otherwise a pretty good film
½ August 23, 2017
Rachel Jane is mad at a Frank Kitchen because he killed her brother so she turns him into a woman. Then she feels comfortable calling him to taunt about it because it's not like he can do anything about it. He's not even a man anymore.
½ August 22, 2017
I like the rest of these ratings can't believe Michelle got naked for this... so much talent wasted
August 12, 2017
I actually like it. At least above the 50% scale rather see than not see.
July 30, 2017
The story of how a hitman became hitgirl!

Actually, it was a much better film than what I've heard of it. What could you expect from a B movie? This was a much better film for its small budget with a decent cast. The storyline seems okay, but Michelle Rodriguez is the one who made it possible. Yeah, it was like created for her to play the main role and she excelled. The filmmaking was quite compromised when the initial part of her character was played by herself. Because of particularly her height, but decently convinces us with all the rest of the makeovers.

The film was about an assassin, who after encountering some wrong men, discovers later that he'd went through gender reassignment surgery. Now raged with anger, he begins his hunt whoever behind it, especially finding the reason for. With a small romance and action sequences, the film comes to an end. Before giving it a try, you must understand that it is not the film you should expect to be a masterpiece. It tried its best to narrate a decent story, as well as you get your entertainment along. So it is not a must see, but still worth a watch.

6/10
½ July 29, 2017
Rediculous but interesting.
½ July 26, 2017
You know, I've always felt a sort of admiration and respect for filmmakers/writers/actors/whomever it may be that find a new way to tell a story featuring characters that are rarely ever explored in films. Innovation isn't just something that's reserved for stylistic choices in your film, it's finding new angles to put your lead characters into that may provide some interesting scenarios. And this movie, at least in theory, has a bit of that. If you didn't know then, basically, the story boils down to Frank Kitchen, this professional hitman, who is kidnapped by his former employer and handed off to this doctor, played by Sigourney Weaver, who proceeds to perform a sex change operation in order to turn Frank into a woman as revenge for Frank killing her brother. That's certainly something we haven't seen before in a film, at least as far as I can tell. This concept has the potential to subvert the normal tropes associated with a genre as macho-centric as action films. I really do love this, I think it's a concept that ripe with great ideas of how to play with reserved gender roles. But, sadly, it pains me to say that the movie doesn't have the narrative chops in order to make proper usage of such a freaking great concept. Essentially, the film boils down to Frank Kitchen's generic quest to get revenge on the doctor who changed him. That's all the film is about, really, and the film explores this story in about as generic a manner as is humanly possible. I'm not saying that the film is bad, it's actually a perfectly decent revenge action thriller, but its reach definitely exceeds its grasp. You could say that at least they tried, but all they did was come up with the concept. The effort comes in how you follow up that concept and whether or not your narrative matches the creativity and uniqueness of it. And let's just say the effort was certainly lacking here. I will say that the only good idea the film has that they actually introduce here is Dr. Kay (Sigourney) mentioning that her reasons were twofold. Yes, she wanted for her brother and this was a way to psychologically torture Frank for this. She wanted to mess with Frank's idea of masculinity. But she also stated that she wanted to see if changing Frank's gender (which would theoretically affect his identity) would change the sort of person that Frank was. She wanted to change Frank's murderous habits. I think that's the only remotely interesting idea the film has here. They could have done something with Frank's change, but all they did is have Frank grab his new tits a couple of times. Everything else about Frank, really, is exactly the same. He changes in no discernible way whatsoever, other than the fact that he has tits and his penis was removed. Other than that, I mean, the movie really is perfectly decent. There's some enjoyment to be had if you look at it as a B-movie because, really, that's all this is. And there's nothing wrong with that, at all. But if you're gonna do this, then at least be a little more gleeful in your thrills. This flick has a noir-esque vibe when Michelle Rodriguez tells her side of her story in her gruff voice. That's another thing, the pacing is all out of whack. They jump back and forth between two timelines. Parts of story are told from the perspective of Dr. Galen (Tony Shalhoub), who's interviewing Dr. Kay (who's in an insane asylum until she is seen fit enough to stand trial), in order to get the truth of the matter and why there were four people dead in her illegal operating room. Galen doesn't believe that there really is a Frank Kitchen and he wants to find out why Kay is making this person up. The rest of the story is told from Frank's perspective as he goes on this journey of revenge against everyone attached to making him into a woman. I think jumping back and forth between two timelines hurts the film's pacing. Because just when you're getting into Frank's story, you're thrown right back to the insane asylum for further interviews with Kay. It's not so much of a problem when Sigourney Weaver gives a great performance as this narcissistic doctor, but they never really settle into a groove. It just doesn't flow well and that hurts the pacing. The action itself is fine, but very simplistic and bare bones. That shit just won't fly in this day and age of The Raid (both of them) and Mad Max Fury Road. The action here is serviceable enough, but completely forgettable. Michelle Rodriguez is good in her role and she is, pretty much, the perfect person to do this type of role. I'd have said Tilda Swinton would have been great, but she's more androgynous than anything else. That makes sense in my own head, it just wouldn't have worked with Tilda. Michelle Rodriguez has both feminine and masculine qualities that lend itself to this role. I will say, though, that the fake beard Michelle had to rock in the first part of the film was really laughably bad. It made her look like a woman who was trying to pass herself off as a man. I mean, that's precisely what she was, but I mean in the world of the film itself that's what she looked like. She didn't look enough like a man to make those scenes where she is one look convincing. I think the best bet would have been to cast a male actor for the parts where Frank is a man and then reveal Frank to be Michelle Rodriguez once she's a woman. It would have been a little more believable. Obviously you need to cast a man who looks enough like Michelle to pull this off, but it could have been done. The way they did do it, however, felt really hokey and laughable. Thankfully Michelle doesn't play Frank as a man for too long. But I digress, I don't know what else I can say about this. It's got a great concept, but the execution is so-so. There's some fun to be had here, for sure, if you're looking for some B-movie thrills, but I don't think this movie is ever as over-the-top (or interesting) enough as it concept would suggest it might have been. I can't recommend it, but there's worse movies out there. The adjective 'average' fits this flick to a T.
½ July 24, 2017
The worst film of 2017 so far, The Assignment is a super let down. Two great actresses are wasted in this and the story is stupid. Come on Sigourney Weaver and Michelle Rodriguez, you guys are better than this. Also an assassin that becomes a girl? WHAT?! And we get to see a penis, that's something I want to see. I'm sorry this movie is awful, don't bother to see it all.
July 21, 2017
Good actresses. Interesting story line and good violence but wouldn't try to watch again.
½ July 16, 2017
This movie sucks and was a total waste of time
½ July 16, 2017
Comenzo muy interesante y luego se volvio ordinaria y comun
½ July 13, 2017
Couldn't be bothered watching more than 10mins
July 12, 2017
There's howlingly awful and then there's "The Assignment," a thoroughly ridiculous, numbingly slow neo-noir thriller about a low-life hit man forcibly given gender reassignment surgery by a vengeful doctor.
June 30, 2017
One word to describe this bomb.... Horrible! Don't waste your time or life on this junk.
½ June 28, 2017
(aka Tomboy) Embarrassingly pulpy and also quite splendid.
½ June 16, 2017
"Dumb-Assignment is more like it"
Movie Review: The Assignment
Date Viewed: April 13 2017
Directed By Walter Hill (48 Hrs., Red Heat, The Warriors, Extreme Prejudice, Bullet to the Head, The Driver, Streets of Fire, Trespass and Undisputed)
Written By Walter Hill and Denis Hamill
Starring: Michelle Rodriguez, Caitlin Gerard, Sigourney Weaver, Anthony LaPaglia, Tony Shalhoub, Yvette Nicole Brown, Terry Chen, Paul McGillion and Zak Santiago.

Dumb-Assignment is more like it. This pile of shit is an awful movie for numerous reasons. It has nothing to say about transgender identity, the film premieres in theaters and VOD during a time where transgender people in the U.S. are being discriminated by right-wing politicians with their ludicrous laws and bathroom bills, it doesn't do any good for the careers of Michelle Rodriguez, Sigourney Weaver and legendary action director Walter Hill and no wonder it wants to be a B-movie, the "B" actually stands for bad.

"The Assignment" is one of those movies that's so incoherent, ugly, vile and strange you just can't believe your eyes. Highly known for her bad-ass girl persona, Michelle Rodriguez seems to be everywhere these days, she will reprise her role as Letty in "Fate of the Furious" tomorrow and right now she's a tough, street-smart female Smurf in "Smurfs: The Lost Village". She's always a good actress under better circumstances but here, her performance is such a blank note.

Rodriguez chews it up big time as a male hitman named Frank Kitchen. I'm sorry? She's a man!?! Yes folks for the first 15 minutes or so of the movie, Rodriguez has a fake mustache and a fake dong. When we do first see Rodriguez as a male, I went "You got to be kidding me", "You're not serious", "Okay, Am I being Punk'd right now?". Okay, adults can believe that she does look like a man but they can also say that she can't play a man on screen because the thought of her as a man is just plain silly and flat-out creepy. There's also a sex scene between Rodriguez (in man form) and his or her female companion whose name is Johnnie (Caitlin Gerard) but it only lasts for like 10 seconds. WOW! This movie can't even make a sex scene between Rodriguez and another female seem fun. Actually, this movie seems to be allergic to both sex and cool action scenes because the action here is not that good.

As Frank Kitchen enjoys his neo-noir life as a lethal killing machine man, a mysterious woman known as the Doctor (Weaver) hires a local San Francisco gangster who's honestly named Honest John (Anthony LaPaglia) to take her out without killing her. After she gets knocked down by Honest John, the Doctor performs a sex-change operation on Frank as an act of revenge for killing his brother. When Frank Kitchen wakes up, she's instantly back home but with a new horrific makeover, "OH NO! I have boobies and a vagina now!".

The movie shifts back to the present where the Doctor is in a mental institution and she tells Frank Kitchen's story to her shrink, Dr. Ralph Galen (Tony Shalhoub). He doesn't believe her story for a second and he also doesn't believe that Frank Kitchen even exists. As for Kitchen, he maybe a she now but she still has the mind of a tough hitman. Kitchen seeks refuge in Johnnie's apartment where she plans her ultimate act of revenge which is killing the person who's responsible for transforming him into a woman.

Co-written by Walter Hill and Denis Hamill (who previously did "Turk 182"), "The Assignment" was apparently written in the late 70's and boy does it show. Action movies of any kind can be fun, bloody and stylish, look at the "John Wick" films for example, these movies had style, characters we cared about, great fight sequences and shootouts and in your face one-liners. However in this movie, the action is poorly done and the style here is all dark and murky. In fact, this whole movie seems all dark and murky to me. How so? It's almost as if somebody put motor oil on the lens.

The question on everybody's mind is, what happened to Walter Hill? The 74-year-old filmmaker was on the top of his form with low-budget action classics such as "The Driver", "The Warriors", "Extreme Prejudice" and of course "48 Hrs.", since then he has gone the deep end with big-time bombs such as "Wild Bill", "Last Man Standing", "Supernova" and "Bullet to the Head". He used to be the grand wizard of this genre but not anymore.

With awful performances and cruddy action, "The Assignment" hits a bullseye at being a complete waste of time and for everyone involved. It is an inept piece of work from Walter Hill and it's one of the worst movies of 2017.
½ June 15, 2017
Worst movie I've seen in a very long time. I can't believe Sigourney and Michelle actually agreed to do this movie. They must have had some outstanding bills to pay.
½ June 10, 2017
I gave it half a star just because the dog is pretty . LOL
This movie is very poorly put together. Not even Michele Rodriguez and Sigorney Weaver could save this low budget wreck of a movie. The performances of the other actresses was less than desirable. This movie is a waste of time. I do not recommend watching it. The only thing I said afterward was what the heck did I just watch?!
June 9, 2017
Ridiculous little action film, with a different hook. I've that I thought was interesting enough to give it a watch. Not as satisfying or compelling as I'd hoped, but it's got moments. It's funny watching Michelle Rodriguez as a dude.
½ June 8, 2017
At first I was interested in watching this film only to see how Michelle Rodriguez would portray a man. The story line was a bit confusing and there was no attention grabber. Too much dialogue and not enough action