The Autobiography of Nicolae Ceausescu - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Autobiography of Nicolae Ceausescu Reviews

October 31, 2015
It's such a bold choice to just let all this footage speak for itself, devoid of any narrative, but it makes for a tough document that might be understandable only to those who already have a strong knowledge of Ceausescu's reign. The film aimed high with its ironic title, but I felt like I wasn't in on the joke; I'm not sure I'd rather have been led by the nose like in a Michael Moore documentary, but I could have done with at least a little framing or context.
June 9, 2015
The "directors' of this film have decided that showing raw footage of speeches, visits of world leaders and general propaganda provides the viewer with the true history of Nicolae Ceausescu. What it does provide is an artificial sense of the man without providing any context of the battle between an autocratic leader and his people. This one begs for commentary.
Harlequin68
April 7, 2015
Exclusively using archival footage, "The Autobiography of Nicolae Ceausescu" details the reign of the Romanian leader from his rise to power in 1964 to his calamitous fall in 1989. The highlights include a supremely ballsy repudiation of the Soviet invasion of Czechoslovakia in 1968 and Nixon's visit in 1969 which proved the old adage that only Nixon could go to Romania.(There's a Futurama joke in there, I suspect.) All of which along with Romania's warm relations with Communist China paved the way for its independence in the Eastern Bloc.

The irony is that per the film's title this is probably the rosy way that Ceausescu saw things when in fact the reality was much, much worse, as he was in fact quite a repressive leader. Admittedly, accusing him of genocide was probably taking it a little too far.

At the same time, that same irony almost escaped me, until I did a little online research.(Thanks, Wikipedia!) And considering that the average attention span is 5 to 10 minutes, I wouldn't probably be the only one. That's not to mention those people still living in Romania who currently think back on Ceausescu's reign as being the good old days. And then there is the small matter of aesthetics wherein the documentary's lackadaisical editing makes it almost seem like it would best be suited to be streamed on the side of a wall in a museum.
½ May 24, 2014
A documentary that does not hold your hand, but tests your knowledge of powerful world government leaders while unfolding a mostly stimulating visual history of Romanian communism. It is long, but nevertheless well edited and fascinating.
½ February 2, 2014
Communism is all about face. Or so the film says. It is interesting, of course, to see footage from all over the world, and the most interesting one must be from North Korea. But to call it "The Autobiography of Nicolae Ceausescu"? I will take the title as ironic.
December 2, 2011
review coming soon ...
November 22, 2011
Keep in mind that most Romanians today think life was better during communism (including during Ceausescu's leadership--and a defensive communism under global capitalist rule at that) than it is now under capitalism. And note how the democratic/liberal revolutionaries treated Ceausescu and his wife: trial by kangaroo court and summary execution/assassination. "Coup" is much more truthful than "genocide".
October 16, 2011
I saw this in Toronto in 2010. It's a 3-hour documentary that's worth the time commitment.
October 8, 2011
great documentary footage from Ceausescu life from 1966 to 1989
½ September 24, 2011
ห(TM)ัสาร"ี-ีอาุสาร"ี propaganda ,อาส?ู ู(TM)ำ,รมา(TM)ียมาั"อ,า"วย?ั(TM)>(TM)รือ มมีรรยายิม มมี?ารสล>ระ?อ มั(TM)"ู?ลว?ม"รูสึ?ั(TM)-ิอะร(TM)ั? ?มั(TM)(TM)า,(TM)ลุ? -ี(TM)(TM)ห(TM)ึ(TM)ลมหาย,อ,รมา(TM)ีย >ระ-ศะ,า"
½ September 20, 2011
Os documentários sem narração são sempre arriscados e aqui correu mal. Esta longa e repetitiva compilação de reportagens de acompanhamento da vida oficial do querido ditador romeno demoliu por completo a minha paciência (e resistência, dormi grande parte da d (C)cada de 70).
½ August 26, 2011
Apesar do enorme acervo documental, o material (C) apresentado sem nenhum tipo de enquadramento, sem informação nenhuma. Resulta assim que vemos Ceausescu como ele queria que fosse visto. Não há nenhum contraponto, visual ou narrativo, à propaganda do regime, que se arrasta durante d (C)cadas. Quem nunca tenha ouvido falar na história irá at (C) simpatizar com a personagem, que parece imbuída de bons princípios e esforçar-se genuinamente pelo bem comum.
A duração do filme não ajuda: três horas (C) demasiado tempo, mesmo para um filme que tenha uma estrutura narrativa convencional, quanto mais para este tipo de filme.
½ August 21, 2011
Unele bucati mi-au facut pielea de gaina...
March 2, 2011
propaganda material from the reign of Nicolae Ceausescu fused into a film told in the form of an autobiography/perspective of nicolae. Only the film's beginning and end contains excerpts from the tv court interview. Dramatic Ironical Film
January 15, 2011
Interesting biography by using nothing but video clips since the beginning of Nicolae Ceauescu's ccareer. The meetings of communist and socialist political decisions made on a whim, emotional speeches are made as they happened, the cheering is eeire at times.
I appreciate the honestey that can be seen in this film in the use of all actual footage with no narration ou need to know your communist history and I was somewhat surprised I recalled as much as I did :)

definately not for everyone but an eye opening look into the life and death of the paralyzing leader of Romania. For refference the Dialouge in this 3 Hour film is subtitled