The Baker Reviews

• Jesse O Super Reviewer
    Apr 02, 2017

I'm sure you've all heard of a one-hit wonder at one point in your life. I'm more familiar with old-school one-hit wonders, since I don't really care to keep up with modern mainstream music. When it comes to one-hit wonders, the one that always comes to mind is The Proclaimers' 500 Miles. You know the one. Come On Eileen (a fucking great song) by Dexy's Midnight Runners is another one. The point I'm trying to make is that one-hit wonders come and go. They leave almost as quickly as they went, back to obscurity or back to playing the same song over and over again because it's their only major hit. The point I'm trying to make that, unlike one-hit wonders, because the movie might not have even been a hit anywhere, there are some movies that just come and go without really making any sort of impression one way or the other. And this is one of those movies for sure. Don't get me wrong, at least to me, there is nothing inherently wrong with this movie It's an amiable British comedy, at best, about a hit man, being fed up of his job, running away to this little village where people believe he's a baker. Eventually, though, the entire town, after finding his gun, figures out that he's an assassin. The problem is that Milo (the hitman) is never made aware of this. So when the townspeople actually go and order cakes or what have you, they think they're actually ordering hits out on other townspeople. Milo is baking earnestly, he truly enjoys it and believes the people really did need his services as a baker and nothing else. Not to mention the fact that one of Milo's former colleagues (who's also in love with him) is after him to assassinate him. The set-up is really silly and sitcom-y, no surprise there. But the film is relatively well-cast and they're clearly game for what the script offered. If there's anything I liked about the movie is the fact that the casting was fairly solid all things considered. No one really stands out as far as memorable characters. Maybe the owner of the fish shop would be, easily, the most memorable. And he doesn't really even do that much, but he gave me a few chuckles. The problem with the film is the fact that it literally comes and goes, blink and you missed it. That's obviously a bit of an exaggeration, but the film is so lacking in depth that you have to wonder why it existed in the first place. Again, I never thought it was a bad movie. But the characters are poorly developed. They hope that by having the town be full of eccentric people would make up for the fact that there's no real story to speak of here. Things happen and they don't really make an impact or really stick. The film feels more like a series of half-cooked skits without a real narrative thread holding them together. The pacing completely hurts with this, because they move on from shtick to shtick to shtick without taking the time to truly give you some time to breathe. That's why the film is more watchable than it would have been otherwise, they don't stick with a scene long enough to make you think how truly undeveloped it actually is. And that's a shame. Not that there's potential with telling a story from a unique point of view, but there's potential here for a fairly entertaining movie if they spent more time than just, say, minutes in setting everything up. This is a script that, to me, never felt like it made out of the first draft stage. And it shows in the final product. And don't even get me started on the final fight between Milo and his former colleague, Bjorn. Talk about laughable. For people who are supposed to be trained assassins, capable of taking anyone out from any possible angle, these two sure as shitty at hand-to-hand combat. They use quick cuts to hide this, but you can tell that these two are really bad. They're clearly not Iko Uwais or Yayan Ruhian, that's for damn sure. With that said, this movie really misses the mark quite badly. Not a bad movie, for sure, but one that lacks real personality and consistent comedy to truly stand out above the pack. I wouldn't recommend this, but if you're in the mood for something silly that's over in less time than it takes to cook microwaveable popcorn, then this is your movie.

• Aug 21, 2015

As much as I enjoy watching Damian Lewis, this was not it. Movie is slow, predictable and boring.

• Dec 28, 2013

The only good thing about this film was the initial idea which could have been turned into a great British comedy but instead it is a very bland, painfully unfunny mess. Due to bad writing, the wrong cast and an awful soundtrack it feels like a farce written in the 70's for afternoon tv.

• Mar 08, 2013

This cute and quirky movie was an unexpected treat. Damien Lewis was excellent as "the baker" a hit man trying to reform. And the cast of characters made this movie that much more enjoyable.

• Nov 11, 2012

To hell with all the negative reviews, and there are only 6 here, so not a fair fight for this little, unknown and an underrated flick. Many awkward characters and situations came together to produce a decent enough entertainer. Though the "gay" part didn't quite fit well in the larger scheme of things, for me at least, but I could overlook the transgression to enjoy what the rest of the movie had to offer. In the end, I wasn't too pleased with the movie, but wasn't disappointed a bit either. All in all, a decent effort, with moderate amount of laughs and Mr. Damian's charm. Liked it.

• Aug 16, 2012

Cute, quirky Brit flick.

Cute, quirky Brit flick.

• Aug 10, 2012

Funny, quirky, British humor, more clever than I thought it would be. If you don't like British comedies with a small town sense of humor - why are you reading this review? It's not for you.

• Jul 28, 2012

7/28/2012: I like Damian Lewis as an actor, but this movies isn't anything special.

• Jun 19, 2012

Gareth Lewis's debut feature film is a very pleasant, stylish and feel-good picture. The music is excellent, the cast is terrific (Lewis, Ashfield, Dwyfor, O'Donnell, Speirs, Coster-Waldau, Gambon and Cowen) and the atmosphere really memorable. I watched it twice and the second time I liked it even more than the first time - plus, there were still things left to discover.

• Jun 14, 2012

An amazing British movie! I laughed so hard with this. This is something no American movie can ever be. It's great acting as well.