The Ballad of Gregorio Cortez Reviews

• Sep 09, 2016

One of the only movies that truly portrays the Latino struggle in the early west. You will never feel the same about Manifest Destiny...

• Mar 16, 2014

Adapted from the classic book With His Pistol in his Hand, this interesting film relates the life and legendary events that occurred in early 20th century on the Texas border. The film is very well shot, well paced and acted brilliantly by a cast of bigger than life actors characters. I had to read the book and see the film for a study we were supposed to do in class, but I must say , for once it was pretty fun and interesting to compared the two.

• Nov 27, 2010

I was so deeply affected by this movie that I made a commitment to become a professional translator. I have done so for the last 25 year in fact. This movie is so real to us who grew up listening to stories of Gregorio and the simple mistake that affected so many. The cinematography is absolutely spectacular as well as the music score. Bravo! Love the movie and would watch it proudly as a Texan and Mexican.

• Mar 27, 2009

This movie is alright. The book by Americo Paredes is better. This is about the many versions of what happened with Gregorio Cortez. The facts are not certain in the movie, but when you read Paredes' book you understand more of the truth. Gregorio Cortez was a real man living on the border, along the Rio Grande. He just so happened to go through an incident that would change his life forever. This takes place at the turn of the century during a time of discrimination. The problems arise all because of a little miscommunication.

• Sep 29, 2008

Roshomon on the texas border. The hunt is on for Gregorio Cortez, who some consider a hero others consider a muderer and thief. His trial would become a small legend, living on through mexican folk ballads, and southern news papers. The movie uses the Roshomon method of showing a single incident from several perspectives, and the limits of the language barrier and culturual stereotypes, are more defined here than say, "Babel". But besides the wider implications of the film, it's also a pretty good western. Lots of chase scenes, and desert landscapes. There is a tragedy here of miscommunication, that spawns a legend. But at times the hunt does fall a bit flat(this was made for TV), still it's bettern than you might imagine, for the history minded. College history classes, may be more interesting and obscure in approach than their high school counter parts, but Edward James Olmos remains, no matter how far on you go.

• May 12, 2007

A powerful and dramatic movie. See it!

A powerful and dramatic movie. See it!

• Apr 03, 2007

True Story, makes a Great Western Film.

True Story, makes a Great Western Film.

• Mar 19, 2007

This movie had potential, but fell through the cracks. To bad.

This movie had potential, but fell through the cracks. To bad.