The Banshee Chapter - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Banshee Chapter Reviews

May 10, 2017
This was a surprising movie to say the least. While a bit of a slow burn, the film carries an eerie intensity pretty much the whole way through. The character depth could have been fleshed out a little more, but the unique premise, great storyline, and solid performances by Ted Lavine and Katia Winter more than make up for it. Definitely not your average horror movie, and originality like this is a huge breath of fresh air in a genre plagued by sequels and remakes. Thumbs up for sure.
October 29, 2016
Halloween 2016 watch
July 23, 2016
Disappointingly standard in which it gets kind of boring but not boring enough to turn it off before the end.
July 2, 2016
160702: A very simple, fun flick that kept me jumping. Loosely based upon a true story, Banshee Chapter will likely have you wondering what you watched by the time it ends. As a result, if you're like me, you'll hit the net to find out what you just invested your valuable time in. Ted Levine pleases as Thomas Blackburn. His unique voice and mannerisms accentuate his character and brought back fond viewing memories. Overall, as a horror fan, Banshee Chapter is well worth watching at least once. And, the factual history of Project MKUltra and its Canadian ties are a fun read so make sure you check that out as well.
½ June 20, 2016
This part found footage, part traditional horror film will have you freaked out and looking over your shoulder, I promise. The plot is very average, about a women who is searching for her friend who took some government issued chemical and then disappeared. While the dialogue and storyline might not be that intriguing The Banshee Chapter gets one thing right, and that is the scares. It seems like every 15 minutes there is a tense scene where something is lurking in the dark and then out of nowhere you see a freaky image for a split second and all hell breaks loose. They crafted the horror moments so well that it will have almost everyone looking for the stop button or light switch. You may only see the "monsters" for a second or two at a time but those seconds are enough to instill fear into your heart. The final scenes are very intense and I was kind of glad it ended so I could turn the lights on. I love a good scary movie, one that really scares me and this film did that very well.
April 8, 2016
3/5 Banshee Chapter is like a big, messy cheeseburger with everything on it. There are some delicious things to be tasted, but personally there are elements which simply don't work for me (I hate tomatoes). And even though that burger falls apart in your hands, it still satisfies you to some degree in the end. This is Banshee Chapter. A film with a brilliant concept and some genuinely terrifying scenes, while also feeling like wasted potential for something greater. Some moments are rife with nail-biting tension and then followed up with a typical, disappointing jump-scare. Speaking of jump-scares, this movie has quite a lot of them but only a couple truly stand out from the crowd. Even when it comes to characters and stakes, Banshee Chapter is fairly uneven. I'm so conflicted by this movie...I'm also very hungry.
April 7, 2016
If nothing else, The Banshee Chapter proves that jump scares can still be... scary.
February 16, 2016
i feel that the people who think the banshee chapter is just a jumpscare fest miss the main plotline, the banshee chapter is one of the best cosmic horror stories i have ever seen on film, the film goes so far as to quote lovecraft,
and for me this is the main pull factor for the movie
February 6, 2016
Adequately-executed jump-scare horror themed around some classic bits of conspiracy folklore, though it never really outgrows the formula it starts with.
½ January 21, 2016
I'm a huge fan of horror films, especially those of the supernatural persuasion, so it was a pleasant surprise when this one turned out to be more supernatural than reality-based. I also like when horror/suspense films have some fiction involved in the storyline, so the MKUltra back story was nice. However, the execution could have been so much better. Potential was there.
January 12, 2016
very interesting. considering the standard most horror movies have set this is one of the best. yet not over an amazing movie it has an interesting story and a few parts that actually did scare me so it is worth a stream on Netflix for sure
January 3, 2016
Not sure if it was just that I wasn't paying full attention to this movie, but I kinda didn't get it.. Was it all just imaginary and the drugs are making the mind play tricks?
There was still some creepy jumpy scenes. I liked how it wouldn't show a clear shot of what it was they were on the run from, kept it more scary that way. Could've looked cheap and tacky if they showed what it looked like
½ December 30, 2015
camera operator should find a new career, acting is terrible and story isnt very good
November 1, 2015
The Banshee Chapter is jump scare after jump scare, and thanks to slick directing, every one is as effective as the last.
October 27, 2015
The film did enough to keep my interest and wasn't drawn out. Some nice jumpy moments played to good effect.
½ October 22, 2015
Far from perfect, but how many horror films of the past few years can you say actually got *better* as the film progressed?

I will say though, that it took me a full third of the movie to realise it wasn't meant to be found-footage.
October 17, 2015
Definitely an interesting premise, the film just doesn't quite pull if off.
½ October 12, 2015
The Banshee Chapter: This low budget thriller, featuring the actor who played the villain in The Silence of The Lambs, is a an effectively creepy, slow burning horror film. Sadly, its cheesy, recurring whack-a-mole type scare tactic, which haunts an investigative journalist searching for a friend who disappeared after a bizarre mind-controlling drug experiment, fizzles by its really silly ending. C
September 22, 2015
Some neat ideas around MK Ultra, DMT and Numbers Stations are wasted in an unfocused mess, centred around an unconvincing lead and her unlikely alliance with a Hunter S Thompson impersonator.
September 15, 2015
I am not a fan of horror movies that rely on jump scares as their main attraction. The Banshee Chapter is freaky and has a good plot, but there are only so many jump scares I can take until they get predictable and I get extremely annoyed. There is a lot of potential here, but it is stripped down to cheap thrills and scare tactics.