The Believers Reviews

• Jun 28, 2017

Surprisingly good thriller/horror that grabs you right away and the ride it takes is entertaining.Nice little hidden gem from yesteryear.

• Mar 12, 2017

This was one of the classier horror movies of the 1980s. Not quite as chilling as I remember it being, but it has its moments.

• Jun 28, 2016

Although a thriller, and a disturbing one at that, this is also a meditation on how people who are searching or in need of something outside of their regular lives, can be easily sucked into dangerous ideology. It can be terrorism, racism, or anarchism; here, it is a religious cult. Robert Loggia and Martin Sheen are a Police Lieuetenant and a Psychotherapist, respectively, who investigate when an NYPD detective goes off the rails after finding the body of an eight year old boy on a sacrificial altar. The deeper they go, the more personal it gets, until Sheen's own eight year old son, played by Harley Cross, is caught up in the affair.

• Mar 20, 2016

There's a lot of talent involved with this film, both on and behind the camera. John Schlesinger directs a screenplay by Mark Frost, with Martin Sheen, Robert Loggia, and a host of talented character actors. It's not immediately apparent why all this talent was put to the service of this film. As mainstream Hollywood horror goes, it's pretty good. It's moderately entertaining and moves at a pretty decent clip. It's a fairly muted and safe bit of horror though, and there's just little remarkable about it. It's difficult to see why anyone would be all that interested in making it, especially a man with Schlesinger's body of work.

• Feb 01, 2016

Wow this was bad. Avoid it at all cost! I will never get the time I wasted back from watching this.

• Sep 11, 2015

Oldie but goodie horror flick...I saw it many years ago and just watched it again, it is still memorable.Great cast and very frightening.

• Apr 26, 2015

I have a soft spot for this film and hadn't seen it in ages. I watched it several times when I was much younger, and it's one of the first films I recognized as being shot in Toronto because of City Hall. I like Martin Sheen in it. The bad guy in it still scares me, and is second only to the bad guy in "Poltergeist 2" for scary looking actors. If you like horror films, give it a try.

• Nov 12, 2014

I liked it. I found Martin Sheen's acting to be a little over intense and the plot a little slow, but for a 114 min horror flick it was pretty affective.

• Nov 06, 2014

Compelling but hokey and too unpleasant.

Compelling but hokey and too unpleasant.

• Sep 19, 2014

I found this movie to be so racist and illogical. There's a series of animal and then human sacrifices in NYC, which through a series of mind-bogglingly ridiculous events leads the protagonist to the center of a fanatic religious sacrificial ritual. The ending was stupid, Cal's treatment of his housekeeper/babysitter was ignorant, and the fascination with "ancient african sacrificial rituals" was disgusting. This movie definitely gave off a stench of the times.