The Berlin File - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Berlin File Reviews

July 30, 2016
A little predictable but fairly enjoyable.
December 6, 2015
Fairly intriguing with proper plot twists.
October 3, 2015
A hopelessly convoluted plot drags down what could have been a much better movie. An agent's wife is framed for being a traitor, while the agent - known as the hero of his people - must figure out a way to clear her and not be labeled a traitor himself. Well acted, but the story is a mess.
June 26, 2015
It's a great film with the right amount of bullets flying, punches and flips, and superb acting from the cast, even this time from the white guy who found himself in a Korean movie, but it is lacking. It's got the romance, the action, the story...and there we go. The story. There's your problem. It could have been so much more straightforward, and this is where alot of films from any nation fail. It beats around the bush too much, or it just doesn't beat around the bush enough. It's a great film but it could have been so much greater and not just reliant on over the top action sequences. The ending will leave viewers staring in sad shock and wonder, "Why?!" if you were as into it as I was. (No, the main character doesn't die, but the ending was avoidable.)
The verdict? Great film, but not without faults. It gets its stars in my book because I always enjoy a good old fashioned bare bones Korean action film. Always different from what I can expect here in the (ahem) good ole USA. Well, mostly. I'm not gonna totally shoot down American cinema. Not totally.
March 7, 2015
The most disappointing South Korean Action movie.
December 19, 2014
It a decent movie why it get such low score? I like this movie
October 24, 2014
Exciting espionage thriller from South Korea.
September 10, 2014
Solid but formulaic Korean action flick. Bourne meets Better Tomorrow
½ July 14, 2014
Ryoo Seung-Wan delvers once again with insane fight scenes and full contact/non wire choreography, only to be hindered by a hard to follow excess of characters whose names sound alike.
July 12, 2014
stupid plots..... could be great but.... they fucked it up!
June 17, 2014
Communism and the surveillance state continues among North Koreans, even in Berlin. It's worth watching for the hay field shootout alone. A worthy follow-up to No Blood, No Tears and The City of Violence.

"this crisply directed spy thriller from Korea holds your attention through its overall smooth professionalism."
? David Noh, Film Journal International

"The movie offers just about all you could ask of a genre flick: poisonings, defections, a secret North Korean bank account, gloriously choreographed fights that go insanely over the top, febrile tension and doomy romance (but no sex)."
? Craig Seligman, Bloomberg News
April 15, 2014
A nice thriller deftly handled especially twist and turns. Found the movie slightly slow but nice movie to watch.
April 6, 2014
Enjoyable South Korean action/thriller.
March 15, 2014
not very impressive but it is a great action movie.
March 11, 2014
I liked this film. It was fun and had a lot of fun action. It involved use of guns which is rare in Korean films and had a very tight and neurotic storyline involving betrayal and mistrust all across the board.
½ January 31, 2014
This is one of best Korean films I have ever seen. Be prepared to invest sufficient attention into an arduous story of North- and South-Korean secret service affairs. Mostly North-Korean, because they are the main characters of the story. The action is top notch mainly on the lines of Bourne series & some really good performances. Must Watch for spy genre enthusiastics!!
December 24, 2013
As soon as "The Berlin File" takes flight with its exhilarating action set pieces, memories of any muddles evaporate amid the tension and vivid engagement with settings, from courtyards to fields. i really liked this one well done ryoo seung-wan (writer/director)
December 15, 2013
Another solid movie from Korean cinema..an exhilarating Action thriller set in a gritty Cold War Berlin. Better than anything in the genre Hollywood of the past last 10 years. Very very exciting
November 29, 2013
The Berlin File (2013)
November 26, 2013
must watch , looking forward to see part 2 . Revenge is best when its served cold.