The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel Reviews

½ January 21, 2016
It could be my age, but I do relate more and more to these types of films. The characters are quickly established and give you a reason to care about them on the screen, unlike many of the flicks I've seen recently. (Characters? How about another explosion? Or a car chase? More shiny things ...)

It felt much like an Act I. I know there is a follow-up already out, so that is next in the queue to see where these older, but not worn out, folks head next.
½ January 18, 2016
Im not sure if its really a cinematic 4.5 star, but just for the fact i smiled from beginning to end, and delighting in simple stories well told and better acted, it fully deserves it.
January 5, 2016
I loved this movie. The cast is marvellous and the story is heartwarming!!! I give it 5 stars!!!
½ January 3, 2016
Dubbed as the film for the elderly, this film is indeed a treat for everyone who treasures his life and is open-minded.
December 29, 2015
Not just for the elderly, The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel is a heart-warming family comedy. A few laughs litter the movie, although the basis of the story-line is enough to make it a pleasant watch.
December 10, 2015
Charming, witty, and insightful, with well crafted characters and touching moments.
December 5, 2015
They filled this movie with a lot of talented actors. Why couldn't they have found a screenwriter worthy of them.

The scenary is beautiful but it is too boring to care after a while.
November 21, 2015
Even if mildly refreshing and centered on a group of elderly people, which is something we don't see very often, this film is full of highs and lows, with a weak script that has too many clichés and artificial resolutions but is still compensated by a superb ensemble cast.
½ November 4, 2015
Predictable, cliche ridden with every stereotype imaginable, but still fun to watch. Could have been so much better but I'm not really sure why it didn't click.
½ November 3, 2015
There is a lot of content - the movie is set in and 'exotic' retirement hotel in India, and deals with seven Brits - how they got there and what they need in their retirements. It also throws in some complications of the Indian family that runs the hotel. It is a well-written story.
September 28, 2015
Hotel movies seem to be all the rage these days, and yet I hadn't seen any of them. I felt I needed to find out what all the fuss was about when "The Second Best Marigold Hotel" was released; and it was immediately made clear.
This isn't just a film for your parents or your grandparents. This is a wonderful film that I feel anyone could relate to in part. Starring a full-range of A-list British actors, the diverse characters offer a spectrum of personality that we all fall into. It was a very uplifting story, causing me to grin away to myself and the telly like an idiot at times. I, of course, would like to see the sequel, but will not hold my breath. We all know that it's difficult to make magic spark twice.
½ September 25, 2015
I loved this film - it is laugh out loud funny in many places but with a depth and a charm too. Maggie Smith is of course brilliant and judi dench is classy. I also loved Dev Patel's performance.
September 21, 2015
A sweet, well-casted dramedy with a similar used type of storytelling but has its own qualities, as well being driven by their performing charms. (B+)

(Full review coming soon)
September 8, 2015
Lots of ageing British stars that probably all know each other well come together for a mildy amusing and entertaining enough story of escape and starting afresh. Some of the themes and plots are worn and there's the usual foreign stereotyping too.
September 7, 2015
Why did I wait so long to watch this?
You MUST watch!
(I'm still never visiting India though! lol) ð???
½ August 30, 2015
I enjoyed this movie. It's quite inspiring and dramatic and it also makes know that never too late to make any changes, you will never know what's gonna happen the next moment. After all, The only real failure is the failure to try, and the measure of success is how we cope with disappointment." and "Everything will be alright in the end so if it is not alright it is not yet the end."
August 19, 2015
The old guard of British film come together for this quirky comedy set in India. A good film to watch on your travels as I did. Not hilarious but quite nice in a lot of aspects.
August 15, 2015
When seven "elders and beautiful" Brits leave for Indin to spend their retirement, (something quite unbelievable), one expect this to be a deeply philosophical road trip motion picture. No, it is not and it does not preach. There is no big revelation, just small individual story. Maggie Smith's transition in the end is the less convincing. Well acted.
August 5, 2015
A group of British retirees decide to "outsource" their retirement to less expensive and seemingly exotic India. Enticed by advertisements for the newly restored Marigold Hotel and bolstered with visions of a life of leisure, they arrive to find the palace a shell of its former self. Though the new environment is less luxurious than imagined, they are forever transformed by their shared experiences, discovering that life and love can begin again when you let go of the past.
August 3, 2015
Charming. Funny. Beautiful. The movie is amazing. The story is truly beatiful too. The characters also lovable.