The Bible - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Bible Reviews

½ May 19, 2017
A lot of money went into this! (possibly from credit cards and collection bowls) but the budget has clearly been used well. This is a film I saw on TV as a kid and marvelled at its opening sequence about the creation of the universe, the earth and Adam and Eve. Nothing quite lives up to the sheer majesty of this first half an hour or so but some of the sets such as Noah's Ark and the Tower of Babel, are amazing for the era and frankly, still look pretty damn good now. It's a loooong film and would probably bore the tits off non-Christians (a torture method which may have worked in the Spanish Inquisition!) with its self-righteous tone but there's no question- it is stunningly well done.
½ April 21, 2017
This is a film I saw on TV as a kid and marvelled at its opening sequence about the creation of the universe, the earth and Adam and Eve. Nothing quite lives up to the sheer majesty of this first half an hour or so but some of the sets such as Noah's Ark and the Tower of Babel, are amazing for the era and frankly, still look pretty damn good now. It's a loooong film and would probably bore the tits off non-Christians (even more casual Christians!) with its self-righteous tone but there's no question- it is stunningly well done.
November 8, 2016
It is very long, but a wonderful interpretation of the Genesis events.
There are some artistic liberties taken, but that is to be expected.

Will watch again.
April 24, 2016
The Bible (1966) ??
Heavy-handed screen treatment of the old testament covers most of Genesis; Adam and Eve, Noah and the Flood, etc. Events better told in Sunday school.
December 30, 2015
Unique interpretation on one of the most well known books. Abraham and Lot were an interesting take. It always seemed like it was epic, but then it fell short of greatness by a bit. It had all the ingredients like music, cinematography, actors etc. but was ultimately slow and monotonous.
June 21, 2015
The legendary Pauline Kael championed this film in the teeth of almost universal derision. It's over-long, funereally slow and underlit, and requires considerable stamina to get through. AND YET... there is something rather marvellous in its deliberately unflashy old-fashioned story-telling. Huston not only directs, but plays Noah and God (the narrator). There's a wonderful short sequence on The Tower of Babel, and a cameo performance by Peter O'Toole as three avenging angels. It's a movie that has flaws and strengths in equal measure, and is probably due a reassessment.
January 1, 2015
WOW! Before a few days ago I'd never even heard of this film, but now it stands as one of my favorite biblical epics of all time. Huston's vision for this film is apparent in every frame, and he was far ahead of his time. The dreamlike atmosphere at times, the carefully calculated cinematography, and the deeply rooted respect for nature can all be seen in many films of the following decade after this movie was made, specifically by Kubrick. In my eyes, the creation sequence alone is enough to cement it into cinematic history. As a follower of Christ, I appreciate the approach of Huston (an atheist) in which he simply wanted to do right by the source material and by the audience it would draw in. He stayed true to the Holy Scriptures and didn't make any attempts to make the material more commercially approachable. It was absolutely gorgeous. This is a perfectly shot film and it's a shame that it didn't garner more respect from audiences, because it certainly deserves it. A divisive and committed cinematic masterpiece about God's power and love!
September 28, 2014
A noble effort. The cinematography is beautiful, but the film is boring at times. Some segments, like Noah's Ark, are better than others. As a Christian I appreciated this film version of Genesis, but I didn't always find myself enjoying it. (First and only viewing - 9/26/2014)
½ September 10, 2014
I saw this film when I was 16 at the big screen Warner Theater in Pittsburgh with my best friend and her mother, who was very impressed at how "beautifully" they aged Sarah. I was most impressed by George C. Scott's Abraham sacrificing Isaac then, but today I loved the Noah's ark segment--loved those animals! So typical of the "big biblical epics" of the period., with their huge, elaborate sets and casts of thousands. I remember them all so well--Ben Hur, The Fall of the Roman Empire, King of Kings, and The Greatest Story Ever Told.
Maybe that is coming around again what with Gladiator, Noah,Christian Bale in his new biblical epic, not to mention Rome on HBO and Spartacus. Sword and Sandal rides again!
August 23, 2014
A movie about a bunch of phony man made tales put together uh no thank you.
March 11, 2014
In the beginning, God created heaven and Earth.

This movie depicts several worthwhile stories from the bible including Adam and Eve, Noah and the Flood, Cain and Abel, The rise of Nimrod, and Abraham and Issac. Each story has a unique lesson, intense situation, and consequence to actions that align with people's visions and beliefs in the lord.

"Am I my brother's keeper?"

John Huston, director of The Maltese Falcon, The Treasure of Sierra Madre, The African Queen, The Man who would be King, The Asphalt Jungle, Moulin Rouge, and Key Largo, delivers The Bible: In the Beginning. The storyline for this picture are interesting and fun to watch unfold. The settings are marvelous and the acting is first rate. The cast includes Ava Gardner, John Huston, Michael Parks, Peter O'Toole, Franco Nero, and George C. Scott.

"The lord has taken hold the ends of the Earth and shaketh it."

I watched this film off Turner Classic Movies (TCM) because it was directed by the great John Huston. I enjoyed most of this film and found the setting and stories well depicted and delivered. This isn't your average stale and dry biblical tale. I found the film interesting and fascinating. Overall, this is worth a viewing and may even be worth adding to your DVD collection.

"And there was light."

Grade: B
½ November 6, 2013
Too big, but week. The troubled dream of a genius.
½ March 25, 2013
Algunos dirán que como se me ocurre ponerle solo 3 estrellas y media a "La Biblia" que mínimo me voy a quemar en los infiernos por ese sacrilegio. Bueno, sin intención de ofender a nadie, y creyendo que hay cosas peores que uno puede hacer en esta vida para condenarse. Considero que esta producción de Dino De Laurentis, dirigida por John Huston, aunque ambiciosa y muy meritoria, se quedaron cortos a la hora de plasmarlo en pantalla, generando una película recomendable para ver pero que dista mucho de ser una obra maestra a nivel fílmico sin cuestionar que el guión es basado en la palabra de Dios. El proyecto inicialmente iba a ser algo épico que sería toda una serie de filmes, que al final iban a cubrir todos los eventos del Viejo y Nuevo Testamento, pero debido a las fallas de realización del primero filme que cubre los primeros 22 capítulos del Genesis, este filme se quedó en el único realizado y lo demás como un sueño no realizado. La película cuenta con buenos actores como Richard Harris, Stephen Boyd, Ava Gardner, Peter O'Toole, Franco Nero y hasta el propio director John Huston hacía del narrador de la cinta y el papel de Noé también. Y a falta de algo mejor que cubra estos mismos eventos bíblicos, sigue siendo un filme recomendable para ver pero que palidece ante otras otros filmes y miniseries tradicionalmente vista en la época de Semana Santa.
March 21, 2013
Hurrah for The Bible. Well done! Bravo for taking on this giant undertaking! Is it perfect - not quite....but you have captured he Spirit of it. Thank you so very much, God Bless you
January 4, 2013
What a long movie. "The Bible: In the Beginning..." is based on the first twenty-two chapters--less than half--of the first Bible book, Genesis, but its running time is close to three hours. Still, the book that opens the Word of God has quite a bit in it, so, it would take a somewhat long film to even cover as much as this one did. The actors were great; the sets were amazing for the time; and, it mostly stayed true to the Biblical account. However, some problems did exist: First off, dialogue from or inspired by the KJV made it hard for this NIV-raised guy to decipher some of what was being said. If you have young kids who are unfamiliar with the 1611 language, you might have to sit there and translate for them. The bigger problem, though, was that some unnecessary scenes were included, which both detracted from the film and added to its already lengthy running time. Seeing part of the wickedness of Sodom and Gomorrah, and having Abraham act like he was possessed when he and Isaac stopped by the ruins of that wicked place en route to Mount Moriah, was simply not needed, and would likely scare off many kids. For that reason, I cannot suggest this movie for young children. For teens and adults who are fans of Christian cinema, though, this is worth seeing if you've got the patience and time to sit through it. As the saying goes: They don't make them like they used to!
½ January 1, 2013
classic stories from the Bible Great!
½ December 19, 2012
A pretty cool movie about the first 22 chapters of Genesis.
December 7, 2012
The book was long winded enough as it is!
November 7, 2012
Haven't seen this one yet...Looks really good ;-)
½ August 2, 2012
A competently made and quite faithful adaptation of the Book of Genesis with strong performances across the board and an involving score by Toshiro Mayuzumi.