The Bible vs. Joseph Smith - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Bible vs. Joseph Smith Reviews

December 20, 2014
As a mormon it helped me at time I needed it most.
½ August 28, 2012
This film was very well done. It is not a judgmental documentary, but presents factual information. It shares archeological, and historical findings that document the authenticity of the Old Testament and New testament. Filmed on site in Israel, several archeologists are interviewed, most non-Christian, but who believe the historical facts reveal that prophesy's as well as the events in the Bible are true. It is amazing how many ancient manuscripts of the Bible have been discovered, and how when compared to the Scriptures today, confirm, without a doubt that God has preserved His Word for us, just as He said He would. Matthew 23:35Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away.
I commend Mr. Gifford for his willingness to put his beliefs to the test God has provided for us,Deut 18.
½ June 23, 2012
This was a good idea of addressing Joseph Smith's role as a prophet and logically debating his validity as a prophet. It does this by using an old testament scripture on which hangs the whole argument. It could be argued that things changed with the new testament and this scripture is used out of context and thus the debate is invalid.

The combination of some academics in the film to debate religion seemed flawed. Then to invite a friend over who is a mormon and destroy his faith in front of a camera is cowardly. There were two interviews included with mormon scholars, but these were only short? Why were these men not interviewed rather than a friend?

Additionally, in it, it claims that the Bible is a valid historical document and that logically you could never follow Smith. But is faith logical? Believing in that which is not seen? No. It said that his friend is still a mormon, and this is why he is, because he believes in things unseen.

Oh, and the music gets old when it's on repeat for the whole of the 2 hours. But it is ponderous.

But why is it a debate between the Bible and Smith? Why isn't it a debate between Christianity and Mormonism? I think this would be a much more interesting topic, but it might be too extensive to debate.

It was persuasive against mormonism in the context provided, but it did it in the same manner that made Michael Moore successfully manipulative. Even though Jesus may have been a historical figure as contained in the Bible, that does not make persuade me to believe in the dogma he professes and the fantastic miracles that are in it.
October 17, 2011
For a "Truth" finding documentary...This production reeks just like the propaganda films from the 1950's & 60's! My first concern was that every passage that was used was taken out of context. Any skilled salesman, lawyer, police investigator, etc. could twist words to suit their needs. Secondly, the actors, and I say actors, because the true identities and qualifications are suspect. There are many web sites supporting this film and its accusations, but if you research the actors, there is no proof that they are what they present themselves as...So I would say that they are "LIARS" or actors, but not authorities, or experts in their field. I also contacted different organizations and no one could confirm that Greg Gifford was ever a Mormon, and being that the Mormons like to keep records, I believe that this is just one more lie. I also was unsuccessful in verifying the identies or qualifications of the other "Experts". How can you tell if someone is telling the truth? Body language is the key! I watched everyone's faces and body language and noticed that they either rolled their eyes, smirked or gave tell-tale signs each time the Book of Mormon, or any Mormon belief was presented, even the so-called Greg Gifford was pretending to be a Mormon! I have had many debates and discussions with people and "True" authorities involving many different topics, such as, religion, gun control, global warming, politics, law enforcement, etc. So I know that people who are discussing any topic that they have personal feelings about or experience with...don't interact like this movie. True believers and/or experts will defend their position, have proof and will actually react to each question that is presented to them...not just sit there like a wet noodle! Everything is biased, with lines practiced, and no actual investigation. The main character, Joel Kramer, actually sets the stage and leads the other actors. He wouldn't be allowed to lead like that in a court of law. I have worked with people from all walks of life, saints, sinners, children, prisoners and even professional liars, and I have always been good at detecting a lie. Well this movie that was presented by "Christians" is nothing but a lie! I refer to a qoute that I believe describes my feelings about Christians. "I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."
Mohandas Gandhi
My recommendation is "Don't waste your time watching this distorted movie", if you want to find out the truth about the Mormon religion, the Bible, the Dead Sea Scrolls, or anything else...Research it yourself! Don't take someone's word for it...Find out for yourself!