The Big Bang Reviews

• Jan 15, 2019

This is basically a kind of weird rework of Farewell My Lovely by Raymond Chandler. It's a gangster film set in the modern day, which makes it a different sort of animal altogether. I never imagined Phillip Marlowe-esque dialogue with an accent straight out of Desperado, but it works in it's own strange way. I expected a low critic rating - this movie doesn't tickle that part of their insular and insignificant brains that compels them into a froth of glowing, smug rhetoric. But I expected a higher audience score. Perhaps it's because this movie is so unexpected for Banderas that people didn't know how to take it. So here's the deal. It's brilliant. It's cool, it's sexy, it's clever, it's intelligent, it's compelling. You don't get to assemble this sort of cast without a good script. Banderas, Sam Elliot, Delroy Lindo, William Fitchner...etc. I'll admit...it's weird. It's neither one thing nor the other...and I can't quite figure out why. But it's great. The drive across the desert scene has me mesmerised every single time to the point that I watch it on loop. Do yourself a favour and check it out with an open mind. And then watch it again coz you will have missed half the nuance and dialogue the first time around. Thanks Tony Krantz...this one deserved way more love than what it got.

• Mar 25, 2015

A cast that any director would kill for, star in this film that plays as sort of a "Pulp Fiction" meets a screenwriter on drugs. A premise so crazy it could have worked had it been handled properly, unfortunately all of the talent involved could not save a poorly written script with a very unsatisfying ending. Banderas is good as the typical private eye. D

• Mar 17, 2015

Dull suspense thriller, which attempts to do this in some sort of film noir style but despite the fine cast it's all rather disappointingly flat. Banderas is a private investigator looking for a missing girlfriend and a stash of diamonds

• Nov 12, 2014

To be honest, I saw this movie only because of Antonio Banderas, but it turned out to be quite a nice surprise actually...:)

• Mar 09, 2014

5/10: A contemporary film noir infused with a little sci-fi overtones. Engaging throughout but let down by the ending.

• Feb 18, 2014

I just watched it. It's a lot of fun. What are all those people so upset about? Relax, guys. It's a cool movie.

• Nov 19, 2013

The classic noir formula but updated to the 21st century--Resfreshingly Exciting!!

• Cynthia S Super Reviewer
    Nov 11, 2013

Watchable, but just barely. It must have been an intriguing script, because it attracted talent who surely had other options. So, let's pin the blame on a pretentious director who was totally NOT in control of his material. This started out interesting, and quirky, but went downhill at lightening speed. What a waste of talent...

• Bruce B Super Reviewer
    Mar 19, 2013

This must be my Bad Movie week. This one sucks, making 2 in a row. 3=19=13 1 star

• Mar 05, 2013

The Big Bang was a visual and intellectual feast made from Raymond Chandler's Farewell My Lovely, and an example of why I often like to watch films that critics pan and audiences don't normally like, because my taste is often different from that of so-called "normal" people. Sometimes the movie in question really is one that I agree only rates a single star, but other times I'm delighted by a film that I, at least, love, and this was one of those times. So, I'll keep watching films nobody else likes in the hope of finding a treasure like this one. If you want to find a prince, ya gotta kiss a lot of toads.