The Big Year - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Big Year Reviews

August 27, 2015
At first you would think this has to be boring, but I absolutely loved it! It had some of my favorite actors in it. It had a good idea, good warming moments. The only thing I didn't like in this movie was Owen Wilsons character, could he really do that to his wife? wow.
½ August 16, 2015
The overall plot of the big year was highly unrealistic, but when a movie is that funny it's still a really good time.
½ August 3, 2015
One of my favorites!
½ July 28, 2015
well a movie about bird watching may not sound like an entertaining but what i like was the character relationships and development and the determination these characters have to win.
July 18, 2015
Pleasant, interesting subject matter that you probably never considered much, and a rather surprising number of big name actors, but nothing overly funny, gripping, or memorable. Overall, I guess I'm glad I saw it.
June 9, 2015
While it is enjoyable, it doesn't appear to even try to be funny.
June 4, 2015
Some cheap principles selling in this not so interesting film.
½ May 13, 2015
It respects it's subject matter a lot more than I would have expected but it's never funny or dramatic nor does it even really try to be. Marketed differently sans comedic heavyweights; this would have worked better.
½ March 29, 2015
Ludicrous... except for that if you know someone really into bird-watching, it's hilariously ludicrous at times. But still... ludicrous.
½ March 10, 2015
This is a rather natural comedy. Not the kind of low class or tickle you to laughter.
½ February 19, 2015
Great movie. Great cast. It's always inspiring seeing people pursue their dream⦠but it's also important not to become obsessive, at the cost of living a full and varied life, and to put everything in perspective.
½ January 24, 2015
Lighthearted comedy about fanatical birders, but ultimately about how competition for competition's sake means losing out on what's really important in life.
January 12, 2015
The Big Year is a really good movie! It is really funny, touching, and great! One of the best comedies of 2011. From David Frankel (director of The Devil Wears Prada, and Marley and Me), comes a really funny movie that has three great comedians.

In The Big Year, three men are at crossroads in life, Owen Wilson (Cars, Cars 2), plays Kenny Bostick, a birder who is having a mid-life crisis with his wife Jessica (Rosamund Pike, Pride & Prejudice). Another one has a work-life crisis, Stu Preissler (Steve Martin, Planes, Trains, and Automobiles), is head of a company and plans to retire. The third person, Brad Harris, (Jack Black, Kung Fu Panda 1 & 2, School of Rock, Tropic Thunder), has a no-life crisis and wants to do something big in his life. Now all three men decide to do a Big Year - a competition to see who can find the most species of birds in North America in one whole year. Kenny, Stu, and Brad are turning this huge quest into one funny, entertaining, and awesome competition.

The Big Year will make you laugh, smile, and happy! This is a perfect movie for the whole family!
December 21, 2014
The movie is not super hilarious, just pleasantly fun all along. At first, it seems contrived to follow the three heroes somewhat excited and competing for something that should not, but after some time, we start to believe in the possibility. Past that point, we feel more a love than a desire for hilarity. It is a nice cuddly movie that made me feel thhere is hope for the human race. Unfortunately, the reality and global warming will probably eliminate many of these so extraordinairy flying animals.
December 21, 2014
November 3, 2014
Though it wasn't terribly funny it was still a fun watch with some great characters and thoughtful direction.
September 30, 2014
A movie about bird watchingÂż Fuck no.
½ September 19, 2014
I don't really care to much for Jack Black or Owen Willson, but I was really surprised at how much I liked them in this movie
September 1, 2014
Good movie with some great cinematography, which raised it from a 3-star to a 4-star rating.
August 31, 2014
Everyone has a big year!