The Black Power Mixtape 1967-1975 Reviews

• Jun 05, 2020

Fantastic time capsule. Must see!

Fantastic time capsule. Must see!

• Dec 07, 2016

Beautifully done. If you are wondering how the US is in the state in which it finds itself, this kind of perspective shows how fundamental the issue of race divide has been for a long long time (and this is just one time period snapshot).

• Jun 21, 2016

(3.5/5) The most powerful moments in this film are when the subjects simply speak for themselves, in the time, of the time. Of particular impact for me was an interview with a young former prostitute and heroin addict who tells her story simply, sadly, and with a raw despair that shook me. The film itself, unfortunately, is often too scattershot or diffuse to make a similar mark. Nonetheless, it's a good primer for a history I haven't previously been privy to.

John B Super Reviewer
    Jun 10, 2015

I found it terribly interesting that the Swedish team that took much of the historical footage of this film caused an international incident by highlighting race tensions in the U.S. which resulted in a recalling of ambassadors. A great overview and look at some of the less well known characters of the movement. Thoroughly enjoyable.

• Jan 01, 2015

Without a doubt this movie will inform and move your heart, the best movie showing the era of collapse of leaders for the people and the rise of new ones..

• Jul 31, 2014

This documentary has so much passion in it. I loved it!

This documentary has so much passion in it. I loved it!

• Jan 08, 2014

An amazing documentary.

An amazing documentary.

• Jun 11, 2013

Titling this documentary a "Mixtape" was very appropriate. Like a mixtape, it's a mixture of many things that, while they often feel more thrown together than connected, are for the most part very interesting.

• May 26, 2013

I never knew how much I didn't know about this time period. Absolutely fascinating, and for those of us who grew up in the 90s and weren't really educated on this stuff, totally important.

• May 15, 2013

A lot of amazing footage in this.

A lot of amazing footage in this.