The Bleeding House - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Bleeding House Reviews

½ October 20, 2016
½ October 19, 2014
Scenario - you live in a house, by design, in the middle of nowhere. Some stranger comes to your door carrying a medical bag saying that his car broke down as he was "driving by" and that he cuts up people for a living. Of course, the family invites him to stay until morning and pays the price. There is nothing good here except for the smashing (and very young) Alexandra Chandro.
½ September 1, 2014
When close-knit characters talk in awkwardly roundabout ways because the filmmaker wants to stave off the release of key information as long as possible, you know you're in trouble. I say SKIP IT!!!
August 25, 2014
Boring, far from thrilling, and uneventful. There is no excitement or suspense throughout the entire film. Where is the passion? Stupid and a waste of time.
July 20, 2014
THE BLEEDING HOUSE (2011) independent
FEATURING: Patrick Breen, Alexandra Chando, Nina Lisandrello, Betsy Aidem, Richard Bekins, Charlie Hewson, Victoria Dalpe
TAGS: horror

PLOT: Bedlam ensues when an enigmatic stranger with a dark agenda drops in on a troubled family.

COMMENTS: Borrowing plot devices and character traits from other films, the Bleeding House is a fresh but flawed independent effort, producing an unusual story without breaking new ground. It's an entry in the serial killer home invasion genre which is populated by films such as Dead Calm (1989), and Funny Games (1997). The Bleeding House creatively refreshes derivative elements, but there are some plot holes. Despite this, writer/director Phillip Gelatt captures our interest by creating a compelling protagonist, brought to life by engrossing character actor, Patrick Breen. To its credit, The Bleeding House is colorful enough to drive one's imagination to a number of morbid "what ifs."

Breen plays a Bible-thumping, Tidewater surgeon name Nick, whose Night Of The Hunter style religious fervor is matched by his sinister charm and manipulative skill. Barely keeping in check his zeal for what must surely be an ulterior agenda of low skullduggery, Nick is reminiscent of Matthew Goode's Uncle Charles in the movie Stoker. Drawling like Tom Hanks's Professor G.H. Dorr in the Coen Brothers' 2004, The Ladykillers, clad in a white linen Tom Wolfe suit, and employing the shakiest of excuses, Nick machinates his way into the remote abode of a banished suburban family.

The Smith family has had a bit of...unpleasantness. Shunned, humiliated, but presently unable to relocate, they have shut themselves away from an unlikely tragedy like an ostrich burring her head. An emasculated father (Richard Bekins), and son (Charlie Hewson) take orders from a domineering matriarch (Betsy Aidem). They live in awkward unease, disgraced by an ungraceful daughter, Gloria (Alexandra Chando) who suffers from a severe nonconformity issue. Like Mia Wasikowska's character, India, in the film Stoker, Gloria is a morbid little creep. In fact, she's downright bat-crap nuts. Like a crippled creek, a tainted undercurrent of mental illness oozes through the family bloodline; Gloria's mother allegedly torched a sleeping family in their beds, just like Beau Bridges in his schizophrenic role of Jesse, in the 1976 psycho romance, One Summer Love.

These dark and spicy characters and story components are familiar to us from other movies about deranged characters pursuing uneasy alliances. Gelatt churns them together like pressing seasonings through a sausage grinder. What comes out the other end is interesting but awry.

The Bleeding House has logic gaps. Nick gains unlikely entry to the Smith household on the flimsiest of grounds. For him to succeed requires Mrs. Smith to undergo an abrupt character change. It's fascinating to observe Nick's mixture of decorum and deviance, ala the cultured and debonaire murderer, Harry Roat in Wait Until Dark (1967), but Nick has a conflicted and inconsistent moral compass. His motives are unclear and under-developed. While Nick assumes the alpha role in all that ensues, the troubled Gloria unexpectedly drives the action. Home schooled, frequently locked in her room, she vacillates between being stupidly compulsive and impulsively cunning. The Bleeding House concludes with an effective climax, but the ending is as illogical as that of Stoker; the characters forgo more viable options and succumb to their most basic instincts.

In the end, The Bleeding House is about underestimation. All of the characters consistently and repeatedly underestimate each other, with horrid consequences which deflect back and forth like a ricochet bullet. We can forgive the bit of confusion its inconsistencies generate because the movie, in an entertaining and thought-provoking way, chronicles what happens in a collision of people who follow their own bloody rulebooks.
April 21, 2014
It started off a little weird and slow but also kept me interested the entire time. It picked up the story as the movie progressed and I think that it kept getting better. The ending was predictable but also interesting. I recommend it to any horror fan. I would definitely watch it more than once.
April 21, 2014
Decent effort and there is something about an evil southerner that just strikes a chord with me, but this wants to be deeper and darker than it actually is. By missing its philosophical "nature of evil" mark, its failings can't hide in the shadowy corners
½ April 9, 2014
½ December 9, 2013
The Smith family have a dark past and live pretty much in the middle of nowhere. One night a seemingly wise gentleman from the South(of the USA innit!) says he got lost driving around and request's a room for the night. The smiths reluctantly agree but soon regret that. But what the Smiths visitor didn't expect was the daughter of the family being more of a nutcase than him! The Bleeding House does have some good tension throughout and decent performances to and is something a bit different from your usual horror fare. It kind of works as a low budget You're Next so if you loved that film as much as I did then The Bleeding House is worth checking out!
October 20, 2013
Nothing special.......and that guy's southern accent sounded really fake.
October 3, 2013
31 Days of Horror (2013): #29
½ September 24, 2013
I liked was predictable in a way...but also strange. Worth a watch! I liked it......I think if you like strangers coming to a house and being will like this one.
½ September 7, 2013
Low budget horror with not much of a storyline but good acting.
August 11, 2013
When an overly-sweet surgeon in a suit arrives at your door with a broken-down car and tells you he hacks people up, it's best to just throw him a blanket, lock your door, and call it a night.
August 6, 2013
Stumbled upon this one, dark, and twisted. Decent movie.
June 10, 2013
Not really a fan of this movie, it started off ok, and as a fan of Dexter I should have liked it. But unfortunately your hero here is worse than the villain. That being said, I really liked Patrick Breen as nick, he made the movie watchable.
June 2, 2013
Home where the Psychotic, Fanatic & the Missing meet--A formidably odd piece of horror cinema!!
April 6, 2013
Like an "American Horror Story" reject.
½ November 3, 2012
A cut above, but even that isn't saying much.
October 31, 2012
Yes it was low budget and nobodies going home with an oscar after this, but I thought it was suspenseful and had me interested enough throughout. Great ending too.