The Book of Eli - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Book of Eli Reviews

September 25, 2016
not only did it represent an amazing view of disabled heroes and coloured heroes for the first time. this is the best movie ive watched in the post apocalyptic world.
September 19, 2016
The Book of Eli is directed by the Hughes Brothers, and it stars Denzel Washington, Gary Oldman, and Mila Kunis in a apocalyptic film about a man who was told to bring a specific book to the west, while having to deal with people that are willing to take his book away from him, whatever it takes. I was going to type the review earlier on as I was watching this film months ago, but I didn't get to finish it as the movie expired on demand from DirecTV. Luckily it doesn't matter as I managed to finally get to finish the film recently, and I'm surprised that I didn't get to watch it earlier on as this is honestly a fantastic film. Denzel Washington is probably a bit more subdued in this than his usual roles that he plays, but he's still great in it as an intimidating person that really shouldn't be messed around with as he's on a mission. Gary Oldman is always having a fun time playing a bad guy, although he doesn't play it over the top as his character plays as a relaxed man that wants to get a specific book that he had in his childhood, so you weren't quite sure at first whether he's a bad guy or not. I was a bit worried that Mila Kunis was going to act as the annoying sidekick to Denzel Washington's character, but there was never a moment that I didn't find her annoying in this, and actually felt sorry for her as the movie progresses. I really like apocalyptic setting that it takes place at because it looks very genuine, and it kind of looks pretty with the nice shots that they use for the mostly lifeless world that the characters have to live in. This is Atticus Ross's first featured length film as a composer, and it made it feel like he has done this before, which he kind of did in a segment in New York, I Love You, but not as a full length movie, which he did amazing in this with Leopold Ross and Claudia Sarne that brings in a lot of life and oomph to the empty world that the movie gives in to. The action scenes are a lot of fun to watch with the camera going around or in the action from what the other characters are doing, which I haven't seen that lately, and it has a lot of style in them that I really like. The writing by Gary Whitta is well written that kept me interested in what's going on, and I was surprised to find out that it's the same person that co-wrote a very boring film called After Earth with M. Night Shyamalan. I know some people had problems with the plot, but I thought it was fine, and while it might reach its grasp with some viewers, it didn't bother me and kept being invested with the film. I remember that there was going to be a twist at the end, but I wasn't quite sure what it was, which made me guess some answers. When it got there, I was close, but was wrong, and I liked the twist that it brought me. I was honestly surprised at how much I enjoyed it, knowing that it didn't do well critic and user review wise, but I guess The Book of Eli was more of my taste than I thought, so I think it's a very underrated film for that one.
½ September 7, 2016
Completely disappointment. The music is the only good thing.
September 5, 2016
How and why did Denzel Washington, Gary Oldman, and Mila Kunis even sign for this film?
September 4, 2016
The plot twist at the end was a little too much. Good performance from Denzel. Sort of felt like a beats by Dre commercial haha
July 30, 2016
I like how they give so much power to the Book, and have a number of quoted verses. But the performances themselves were poor to say the least. I expect more from Oldman and Washington.
July 17, 2016
The Book of Eli is flawed, overambitious, and, in the end, beyond ludicrous - but how refreshing it is to see a post-apocalyptic film with such style, such ideas, and, these days, any ambition at all.
½ July 7, 2016
Why did they have to ruin a magnificently crafted world and bunch of characters with heavy handed christian shite? I don't know. I wish I could just watch the first half and burn the the second from my memory.
½ July 7, 2016
Denzel Washington is one of the most watchable people in film for mine (Kunis is certainly no strain to watch either). Despite my aversion to it thematically in some ways (the book has always been more Oldman than Washington in my opinion), I found it intriguing enough to watch a few times. Great story, well put together.
½ May 26, 2016
Gritty, violent but surprisingly spiritual.
½ May 21, 2016
I love a good post apocalyptic film.
½ April 24, 2016
Somehow this film slipped past my radar back in 2010. It's been about 5 years since it came out and I was surprised I hadn't heard of it. Albert and Allen Hughes of 'Dead Presidents' fame (1995) join up with Denzel Washington as the titular character Eli, in this post apocalyptic story.

The end of the world has come and the remaining survivors are struggling in an environment that has been devastated by drought and what is known as "The Flash." One has to assume that the end of the world was a long and devastating war. Enter Eli who is a man on a mission from what we have to assume is God. He travels the wastelands and is an exceptionally skilled fighter.

The plot is a linear story and at most times a little predictable, but I was impressed with the dialogue and mostly with the actors. Denzel Washington has few scenes with Gary Oldman together, but both of them played well of each other. At times I thought the survivors were a little... well fat to be honest. People seemed to still be in the same relatively physical condition despite the lack of food and water. We get a few hints at the events that led up to the end of the world, and there is a lot of Biblical allusions in Eli's journey. Overall it was enjoyable. Actress Mila Kunis sticks out like a sore thumb in terms of her beauty at the end of the world, but her acting is solid enough.

If you don't mind the religious rhetoric and obvious Christian hypocrisy (with all the violence in the film), then you'll love this flick. It is a A Post-Apoc Christian Story with Violence.

2.5
April 17, 2016
Awesome. Denzel killed it.
½ April 16, 2016
121231: This film rocked. Reminds me of The Road but with a religious angle. Great action. Washington is awesomely cool. Weapons, violence. killer bad guys. And the good guys win in the end. What more could you, a man, ask for?
½ April 12, 2016
As is typical - the so called professional critics have got this one wrong. This was a fresh story from a nearly exhausted theme. Post Apocalypse; the current and long term Sci-Fi backdrop. But Denzel pulls off a great performance as the driven "walker" heading West and meeting up with Gary Oldman who once again pulls off a great sociopath. Mila Kunis did a fair job but kudos to Jennifer Beals who stood out in each scene she was in.
jamrcla
½ April 8, 2016
I've always been a big fan of post apocalyptic films but for some reason I never got round to seeing this film until years after, And yet again I kick myself for waiting so long to watch it, The film seems to be nothing new at first just an average survival movie but soon a deeper and more religious story unravels and it's very gripping from start to finish with some pretty good action scenes too, A very strong cast all act brilliantly, And the twist at the end was brillant and people will either love it or think it's too silly but a second watch of this film will change your mind, Its religious plot will not be for everyone but it doesn't go too deep into it, But in the end it's a great film that deserves much more praise.
½ April 3, 2016
THE BOOK OF ELI is yet another entry in the well-populated post-apocalyptic genre and, to be honest, doesn't do a lot to distinguish itself from its brethren. What makes it an interesting watch are the stylistic choices, well-executed action, and committed performances from a stellar cast. The plot concerns Eli (mentioned by name only once), who is headed west with the last copy of the Bible (in the US, at least). On his journey he meets a warlord (Gary Oldman) who has been looking for the book and wants to use it for his own purposes. From a narrative standpoint, THE BOOK OF ELI keeps things very simple, and even the characters aren't too well-defined, being more archetypes than anything else. Of course, this is mostly fine as the film has higher ideas on its mind than just providing a cool story. There was some passing mention of what caused the world to be the way it is, and attempts at fleshing out the finer details of the world in the film, but nothing on the level of what George Miller did with the MAD MAX franchise. What holds the film together is Denzel Washington, who has made a career out of playing men of action (and, occasionally, few words). He plays Eli with the cool detachment required, but also imbues him with a sense of humor and humanity that makes him a little more relatable. Gary Oldman also does fine as the villain, but his motivations (as well as Eli's ultimate goal) remain unfortunately broad and vague. Mila Kunis is the weak spot in the cast, and she can't quite hold her own against such heavyweights. Outside of Denzel, where the film really shines is the style and action. Although the film has the same de-saturated color palette common in the genre, it contributed positively to the lived-in feeling of the world it depicted. Everything (and everyone) was appropriately grimy and dirty, as it should be when the world has suffered from nuclear war. I also thought there was creative work in the action sequences, particularly the first one in which Eli takes on a group of hijackers. It took place mostly in silhouette, which gave it a comic book feel. In fact, this film would make an excellent graphic novel. Still, the film is not without its problems. The biggest one is the pacing, which stays a little on the slow side. Granted, there are necessary moments where the characters can interact, but the combination of dour visuals and a slow pace didn't really mesh well. Also, as indicated earlier, the vagueness with which character motivation is treated was a bit disappointing. What saves the film from mediocrity is a great payoff in the last 20-25 minutes. I won't spoil anything here, but I will say that it makes a lot of sense if you know your Bible stories. Ultimately, THE BOOK OF ELI is a solid, if unspectacular, entry in its genre, but Denzel Washington's performance, inventive action sequences, and examination of religion's societal role make it worth your time.
March 2, 2016
It was ok. Had a interesting premise. But it was very slow and boring in lots of parts. The action was ok.
February 25, 2016
The Book of Eli is a solid post-apocalypse thriller that does not sink to deep but is lead by another solid outing from Denzel Washington.
February 14, 2016
Not bad. Not great, but not bad either.