The Book of Eli - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Book of Eli Reviews

½ March 11, 2015
Surprisingly decent film considering the cast. The premise saves it.
March 5, 2015
A simplistic adventure offering up the morals of a campfire fable. Washington has fun in the lead, alongside Oldman who helps to elevate this action epic.
February 21, 2015
This film deals with the post-apocalyptic world in an engaging, if nowhere near original manner. The main character is enigmatic but all things are explained in time and unnecessary guess-work is left to a minimum. The acting is convincing and while the story is generic and inane in many ways, the revelation at the end at least makes it interesting, if not good.
February 20, 2015
Bizarrely pointless, unoriginal and clunky in it's rhetoric.
February 13, 2015
Great movie! Watched it again, and will watch it again I'm sure
½ February 7, 2015
Most negative reviews revolve around the religious aspect of the film and nothing more. The rest blame 'clichés' associated with a post-apocalyptic world that have become too familiar in cinema. I say that is nonsense. The faith aspect is throughout but limited as the overhanging mystery of the journey takes a stronger role. Preservation of the Bible or use of it for evil is an ongoing part of history and certainly would be in this type of future. The movie has the perfect flow of action and wonder as you make the journey into the unknown with Washington (who is outstanding per usual). His spiritual journey and conflict is just as big a trip as his physical one. I think even having a Bible as a part of a script is different and gutsy, based on the backlash I read regarding it. As for clinches...I'll just keep waiting for the movie that shows happy people dancing with rainbows and kittens after the total collapse of society, cause I'm sure that's how apocalypse's work.
January 30, 2015
I discovered this movie by accident : it was on TV last night ! So what is this book of Eli : a post-apocalyptic western with a good casting. Denzel Washington as the deadly but respectful lonesome cowboy. Gary Oldman as the power-crazed villain. Mila Kunis as the damsel in distress getting tougher along the way. And a band of goofy baddies. It's well directed with stunning desolate landscapes and a good musical score. It works as a whole, it is very very entertaining. It can get emotionnal also thanks to Denzel reading the bible. Some questions can comme to mind like in most sci-fi flicks. There's even a lesson to be learned from this action-packed movie : the good guys win because they favored cooperation over competition. The extreme version of the latter leads inevitably to chaos in a farwest world that nobody would want to live in anymore. This movie made me want to read the Bible, the book the world of Eli desperately needed (and maybe ours too) and more importantly made me want to watch more of these post-apo westerns !
January 25, 2015
Jan 15, 2015

Orchard hill
Michael Bredeweg
January 3, 2015
Awesome movie Denzel was great, first movie of its kind a original
½ January 2, 2015
excellent movie. it was very good. I won't even spoil the secret
½ December 29, 2014
Entertaining but ultimately falls short. Can't help but feel the Hughes brothers were a fan of Fallout 3 which this film reminded me a lot of.
½ December 21, 2014
Very slow paced at times, especially at the end. The ending is absurd and the movie could have been much better with a better ending/plot. The music is beautiful as usual when Clint Mansell does the job. Watched it once. That will be enough.
December 8, 2014
This post-apocalyptic film grips your attention with its theme despite the plot twist that could be absurd for some viewers.
December 6, 2014
Faith can lead you to your destiny. For the desire to own something real bad can eventually be fruitless.
Really like the message this film sends out.
November 30, 2014
This is the kind of craziness happening here at RT. A watchable good film like Book of Eli gets 48% while a film tough to watch like Shark Tornado gets close to 80s.
½ November 23, 2014
A pretty interesting look into a world we hope to never see. Denzel, as always, plays a pretty fine bad ass. I'm a bit bored of seeing Gary Oldman play the same old figure heads though.
November 23, 2014
As a kid I loved it and to this day I have to admit, it's pretty awesome.
November 11, 2014
This movie looks interesting, and I wouldn't mind seeing it.
October 19, 2014
Is there such a thing as an original premise when it comes to modern day story telling? Not really. Those who criticised this probably loved Independence Day. That's about all their pompous, corn syrup brains could grasp. #sheeple
October 5, 2014
Was expecting more but still a pretty decent movie, worth a watch.