The Bourne Legacy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Bourne Legacy Reviews

½ August 2, 2016
This was the very first Bourne movie I've ever seen and at the time, I really enjoyed it. Now, after watching the previous 3 entries, this one doesn't stand up nearly as well. The action scenes, while good, don't match up against the action of the previous films. The acting calibur seemed to take a step backward and the story did not seem as interesting. I'm sorry but Edward Norton doesn't even stand close to Joan Allen as the head officer behind the giant screen trying to track our main protagonist. Jeremy Renner does make a good hero (Aaron Cross) but he doesn't get that much of a backstory or even one as interesting as Jason Bourne's. Rachel Weisz was pretty mediocre too. This film just ended up feeling boring. The science of how these agents work was an interesting angle to take but i'm immediately disinterested because quite frankly, I still don't understand how Aaron Cross is ascoitated with Jason Bourne, Treadstone, or any of that stuff. As it's own movie, I think this film would have worked better because then there wouldn't have to be constant little moments that remind us what movie universe we are in. I'd say, just stick with the first 3 entries. They are fantastic. While this one is a little underwhelming.
August 2, 2016
A standalone, action-packed addition to the franchise's solo roots while staying spiritedly parallel and inferior to the previous installment with same senses in the intellect direction, despite lesser thrills, convoluting turns and characterization lacking Bourne himself. The film makes up the latter when boosting Jeremy Renner's career as a benefit when delivering the action in a new twist. It's overall enough to consider this film acceptably entertaining, even when it's inferior to the Bourne trilogy, but did introduced a compelling character in the spotlight. (B+)

(Full review TBD)
½ August 1, 2016
150327: Sit back, relax and enjoy some simple action.
July 31, 2016
4 stars out of 5, 82%
July 31, 2016
It isn't Matt Damon, but The Bourne Legacy has some moments
½ July 31, 2016
The Bourne Legacy is not a very good action movie like it was advertised but is a smart, slower pasted film. Don't see it expecting a super thrill ride but see it as an interesting film with some action at its disposal.
July 30, 2016
I watched in when it came out in theaters and enjoyed it. I tried to re watch recently but only got half way through the side-sequel before I had to bail out. Thinking It should have been named The Cross Something, like the upcoming The Janson Directive starring The Rock. I have to say its just mad decent.
½ July 30, 2016
Not rotten. Too many critics compared it to the Damon films. PTxS
July 30, 2016
7/29/2016: Not near as good as the first three. It was ok, but a bit slow at times and not enough action. The fighting scenes were good, but there weren't many.
July 29, 2016
The Bourne Legacy offers pretty much what you would expect from a Bourne film, lots of action, a great lead role, and an intriguing plot, but this film can't simply hold up to what made the original trilogy so great in the first place in terms of acting, writing, directing, and the action sequences, even though they are not that bad in this film.
½ July 29, 2016
As the 4th Bourne film in the series, 'Legacy' isn't all that inventive or revealing. But as a spy-action-thriller, it's pretty solid. Aaron Cross is hardly as interesting as Bourne, but Renner's charismatic presence is more than enough to get by.

In the age of shared universes, Universal decided it was a good idea to make another Bourne film in 2012, after years of trying to get a 4th Damon film off the ground. While the script and direction from Tony Gilroy relies heavily on the same tropes of the series, I can't say it's a film that shouldn't have been made. It should have just deviated from the source material even more than it did.

With that said, I like the fact that the film takes place at and around the same time that 'Ultimatum' did. The approach to have Jason Bourne's actions impact Cross' and the rest of the Black Ops agents was a smart one. It's a far better decision than having Renner be the re-casted Bourne. But as Cross, Renner is quite good. I'm not sure he got cast in all of these franchises, but he doesn't seem to disappoint.

Renner is complemented by a powerful performance from Rachel Weisz, who plays Cross' former doctor. Much like Bourne and Marie in 'Identity', they have great chemistry together and Weisz thankfully more with her character than what's written on the page. Edward Norton plays the new suspicious C.I.A figure, which has become a classic Bourne trope at this point. Although I think Norton is a good actor, he didn't do anything as Eric Byer that impressed me all that much. With minimal screen time together, it was tough to grapple onto Byer's perusal of Bourne.

The action and cinematography are much easier to watch without Greengrass' infamous shaky cam. With that said, there is far less action mixed with a slower pace. The film doesn't really become interesting until 30 or 40 minutes in.

In all, The Bourne Legacy largely handcuffs itself and falls into the series tropes too often to be considered on the level that the previous 3 films are. But good performances from its leads and some interesting action makes it a nice cable watch.

+Renner & Weisz

+Solid action

-Handcuffs itself

-Falls into the same tropes

July 29, 2016
4/5. Not as good as Supremacy or Ultimatum, but still better than Identity. Renner does a great job filling Damon's shoes, and although Rachel Weisz's character is annoying, the film itself is very solid and entertaining.
July 28, 2016
This one is a huge disappointment for the franchise which doesn't even need to be in the franchise or need not to have same name when it doesn't even involve Jason Bourne but it does have a story to tell and guess there are some more things to be told which can be described in the sequels if this one has any, If it has any then there should be a lot of improvement in the action.
July 28, 2016
You are left wondering if the constant references to Damon's Bourne character help the film or hurt it.
July 28, 2016
The Bourne Legacy simply doesn't live up to the legacy of the Damon trilogy. Renner is a more than capable lead, but ultimately the story he is given is weak.
July 28, 2016
It doesn't live up to the original Bourne trilogy, and is more disappointing than actually bad, but the Bourne Legacy does benefit from Jeremy Renner's performance, good direction and for the most part dialogue from Tony Gilroy and some fun action scenes.
July 26, 2016
By far the weakest of the series, but still overall enjoyable
½ July 25, 2016
Good, but I think everyone just misses Matt Damon. Jeremy Renner still plays a very good part though.
July 25, 2016
Nowhere near as good as any of the Damon trilogy. Confusing and over the top. I want Paul Greengrass back!