The Bourne Legacy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Bourne Legacy Reviews

August 27, 2016
Great movie! LOVED IT!
½ August 20, 2016
Bourne Legacy gives us a lot of good for being sans Matt Damon. Jeremy Renner holds his own very well and proves he can be a leading man in a blockbuster.

Starting off prior to the events of The Bourne Ultimatum, Legacy finds Jeremy Renner's character in the Alaskan wilderness, being hunted by a pack of wolves. Then, all of a sudden, he discovers that a drone is trying to blow him up.

Eventually, the film moves past Ultimatum and becomes about another secret government agency. They're feeling threatened by Jason Bourne's uprising and trying to kill their own assets before they have the chance to retaliate.

The biggest issue with this film is that it tries to be cryptic. It's capable of telling us what's going on, but chooses not to--which can be frustrating when watching a movie. You can tell that these events are opening the door to something cool in the series, but it just doesn't let us figure out what that is until later.

Often times, we find ourselves scratching our heads, hoping that it all ties together in the end. And it does for the most part. But even when things click, it means nothing of value. You just accept it and hope it will make sense in the next film.

We're also never entirely sure how it all connects to the Bourne series--other than the same people are involved. But the glimmering hope that it's going to open the series up to something grander--the bigger picture--makes every piece of this film intriguing.

Regardless of the mysterious plot, it's really entertaining. The action and chase sequences are high-quality, and there are some really intense scenes. It's all fun in the end.

Twizard Rating: 85
August 19, 2016
Not as good as Matt Damon's trilogy but still a decent action film. Some might find it a bit boring. Nevertheless Jeremy Renner's job is terrific. He carries the movie by himself all along.
½ August 16, 2016
Tony Gilroy's Bourne Legacy is a mess on terms where you see Aaron(Jeremy Renner) in the mountains, next he's in a building fighting off the CIA, I thought Gilroy could have done more with the script rather than throwing things right in.
August 8, 2016
Renner is solid as a fill in hero of the franchise. Not really so much about Bourne but about the government cover up of the programs they are in.
½ August 8, 2016
Luego de la salida del director Paul Greengrass y de su protagonista Matt Damon, la serie Bourne enfrenta en serios problemas. Tony Gilroy asume la dirección con mucha clase (pero no es Greengrass) y asume una propuesta de acción e intriga similar a la serie del agente Jack Ryan. Jeremy Renner ("The Hurt Locker", "Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol", "The Avengers"), reemplaza a Matt Damon como el agente Aaron Cross y sale bien librado de semejante encargo (pero no es Damon, quien nació para el papel). "The Bourne Legacy" no llega a la grandiosidad de los capítulos anteriores de la saga, pero es una cinta de acción y espionaje que mantiene el interés de principio a fin, pese a las pérdidas de actor y director.
½ August 6, 2016
The Bourne Legacy has got Jeremy Renner as Aaron and can be a masterwork, It has the potential to be good in popularity and have better punchlines, But Unfortanly a few action scenes work but I had the verge to fall asleep because it felt so long, Even The Avengers Felt Shorter than this and that one was longer, I like Renner as an actor but the problem with this film is that the climax sucked and the characters, I really didn't want this to be a rant, Thank god it isn't because it's a bourne film.

Score: 4.5/10
August 5, 2016
77% - It might not be a typical Bourne film, but it is certainly a really good action film with great characters, strong story, and well-choreographed action sequences.
August 4, 2016
Fast paced, action packed, does what every great action movie should do, with a good performance by Jeremy Renner
August 3, 2016
As a Bourne movie it falls short, as a movie, truly a work of art. Jeremy Renner owns this role and the action is truly phenomenal
August 3, 2016
I was expecting this to be wank but it wasn't that bad. A great motorbike chase in Manilla been the main highlight. It does tie in with the first three films and gives more insight into the black ops background story. A pointless but enjoyable spin off.
August 2, 2016
This movie was not the same without Matt Damon!
½ August 2, 2016
This was the very first Bourne movie I've ever seen and at the time, I really enjoyed it. Now, after watching the previous 3 entries, this one doesn't stand up nearly as well. The action scenes, while good, don't match up against the action of the previous films. The acting calibur seemed to take a step backward and the story did not seem as interesting. I'm sorry but Edward Norton doesn't even stand close to Joan Allen as the head officer behind the giant screen trying to track our main protagonist. Jeremy Renner does make a good hero (Aaron Cross) but he doesn't get that much of a backstory or even one as interesting as Jason Bourne's. Rachel Weisz was pretty mediocre too. This film just ended up feeling boring. The science of how these agents work was an interesting angle to take but i'm immediately disinterested because quite frankly, I still don't understand how Aaron Cross is ascoitated with Jason Bourne, Treadstone, or any of that stuff. As it's own movie, I think this film would have worked better because then there wouldn't have to be constant little moments that remind us what movie universe we are in. I'd say, just stick with the first 3 entries. They are fantastic. While this one is a little underwhelming.
August 2, 2016
A standalone, action-packed addition to the franchise's solo roots while staying spiritedly parallel and inferior to the previous installment with same senses in the intellect direction, despite lesser thrills, convoluting turns and characterization lacking Bourne himself. The film makes up the latter when boosting Jeremy Renner's career as a benefit when delivering the action in a new twist. It's overall enough to consider this film acceptably entertaining, even when it's inferior to the Bourne trilogy, but did introduced a compelling character in the spotlight. (B+)

(Full review TBD)
½ August 1, 2016
150327: Sit back, relax and enjoy some simple action.
July 31, 2016
4 stars out of 5, 82%
July 31, 2016
It isn't Matt Damon, but The Bourne Legacy has some moments
½ July 31, 2016
The Bourne Legacy is not a very good action movie like it was advertised but is a smart, slower pasted film. Don't see it expecting a super thrill ride but see it as an interesting film with some action at its disposal.
July 30, 2016
I watched in when it came out in theaters and enjoyed it. I tried to re watch recently but only got half way through the side-sequel before I had to bail out. Thinking It should have been named The Cross Something, like the upcoming The Janson Directive starring The Rock. I have to say its just mad decent.
½ July 30, 2016