The Bourne Legacy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Bourne Legacy Reviews

August 8, 2016
Renner is solid as a fill in hero of the franchise. Not really so much about Bourne but about the government cover up of the programs they are in.
½ August 8, 2016
Luego de la salida del director Paul Greengrass y de su protagonista Matt Damon, la serie Bourne enfrenta en serios problemas. Tony Gilroy asume la dirección con mucha clase (pero no es Greengrass) y asume una propuesta de acción e intriga similar a la serie del agente Jack Ryan. Jeremy Renner ("The Hurt Locker", "Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol", "The Avengers"), reemplaza a Matt Damon como el agente Aaron Cross y sale bien librado de semejante encargo (pero no es Damon, quien nació para el papel). "The Bourne Legacy" no llega a la grandiosidad de los capítulos anteriores de la saga, pero es una cinta de acción y espionaje que mantiene el interés de principio a fin, pese a las pérdidas de actor y director.
½ August 6, 2016
The Bourne Legacy has got Jeremy Renner as Aaron and can be a masterwork, It has the potential to be good in popularity and have better punchlines, But Unfortanly a few action scenes work but I had the verge to fall asleep because it felt so long, Even The Avengers Felt Shorter than this and that one was longer, I like Renner as an actor but the problem with this film is that the climax sucked and the characters, I really didn't want this to be a rant, Thank god it isn't because it's a bourne film.

Score: 4.5/10
August 5, 2016
77% - It might not be a typical Bourne film, but it is certainly a really good action film with great characters, strong story, and well-choreographed action sequences.
August 4, 2016
Fast paced, action packed, does what every great action movie should do, with a good performance by Jeremy Renner
August 3, 2016
As a Bourne movie it falls short, as a movie, truly a work of art. Jeremy Renner owns this role and the action is truly phenomenal
August 3, 2016
I was expecting this to be wank but it wasn't that bad. A great motorbike chase in Manilla been the main highlight. It does tie in with the first three films and gives more insight into the black ops background story. A pointless but enjoyable spin off.
August 2, 2016
This movie was not the same without Matt Damon!
½ August 2, 2016
This was the very first Bourne movie I've ever seen and at the time, I really enjoyed it. Now, after watching the previous 3 entries, this one doesn't stand up nearly as well. The action scenes, while good, don't match up against the action of the previous films. The acting calibur seemed to take a step backward and the story did not seem as interesting. I'm sorry but Edward Norton doesn't even stand close to Joan Allen as the head officer behind the giant screen trying to track our main protagonist. Jeremy Renner does make a good hero (Aaron Cross) but he doesn't get that much of a backstory or even one as interesting as Jason Bourne's. Rachel Weisz was pretty mediocre too. This film just ended up feeling boring. The science of how these agents work was an interesting angle to take but i'm immediately disinterested because quite frankly, I still don't understand how Aaron Cross is ascoitated with Jason Bourne, Treadstone, or any of that stuff. As it's own movie, I think this film would have worked better because then there wouldn't have to be constant little moments that remind us what movie universe we are in. I'd say, just stick with the first 3 entries. They are fantastic. While this one is a little underwhelming.
August 2, 2016
A standalone, action-packed addition to the franchise's solo roots while staying spiritedly parallel and inferior to the previous installment with same senses in the intellect direction, despite lesser thrills, convoluting turns and characterization lacking Bourne himself. The film makes up the latter when boosting Jeremy Renner's career as a benefit when delivering the action in a new twist. It's overall enough to consider this film acceptably entertaining, even when it's inferior to the Bourne trilogy, but did introduced a compelling character in the spotlight. (B+)

(Full review TBD)
½ August 1, 2016
150327: Sit back, relax and enjoy some simple action.
July 31, 2016
4 stars out of 5, 82%
July 31, 2016
It isn't Matt Damon, but The Bourne Legacy has some moments
½ July 31, 2016
The Bourne Legacy is not a very good action movie like it was advertised but is a smart, slower pasted film. Don't see it expecting a super thrill ride but see it as an interesting film with some action at its disposal.
July 30, 2016
I watched in when it came out in theaters and enjoyed it. I tried to re watch recently but only got half way through the side-sequel before I had to bail out. Thinking It should have been named The Cross Something, like the upcoming The Janson Directive starring The Rock. I have to say its just mad decent.
½ July 30, 2016
Not rotten. Too many critics compared it to the Damon films. PTxS
July 30, 2016
7/29/2016: Not near as good as the first three. It was ok, but a bit slow at times and not enough action. The fighting scenes were good, but there weren't many.
July 29, 2016
The Bourne Legacy offers pretty much what you would expect from a Bourne film, lots of action, a great lead role, and an intriguing plot, but this film can't simply hold up to what made the original trilogy so great in the first place in terms of acting, writing, directing, and the action sequences, even though they are not that bad in this film.
½ July 29, 2016
As the 4th Bourne film in the series, 'Legacy' isn't all that inventive or revealing. But as a spy-action-thriller, it's pretty solid. Aaron Cross is hardly as interesting as Bourne, but Renner's charismatic presence is more than enough to get by.

In the age of shared universes, Universal decided it was a good idea to make another Bourne film in 2012, after years of trying to get a 4th Damon film off the ground. While the script and direction from Tony Gilroy relies heavily on the same tropes of the series, I can't say it's a film that shouldn't have been made. It should have just deviated from the source material even more than it did.

With that said, I like the fact that the film takes place at and around the same time that 'Ultimatum' did. The approach to have Jason Bourne's actions impact Cross' and the rest of the Black Ops agents was a smart one. It's a far better decision than having Renner be the re-casted Bourne. But as Cross, Renner is quite good. I'm not sure he got cast in all of these franchises, but he doesn't seem to disappoint.

Renner is complemented by a powerful performance from Rachel Weisz, who plays Cross' former doctor. Much like Bourne and Marie in 'Identity', they have great chemistry together and Weisz thankfully more with her character than what's written on the page. Edward Norton plays the new suspicious C.I.A figure, which has become a classic Bourne trope at this point. Although I think Norton is a good actor, he didn't do anything as Eric Byer that impressed me all that much. With minimal screen time together, it was tough to grapple onto Byer's perusal of Bourne.

The action and cinematography are much easier to watch without Greengrass' infamous shaky cam. With that said, there is far less action mixed with a slower pace. The film doesn't really become interesting until 30 or 40 minutes in.

In all, The Bourne Legacy largely handcuffs itself and falls into the series tropes too often to be considered on the level that the previous 3 films are. But good performances from its leads and some interesting action makes it a nice cable watch.

+Renner & Weisz

+Solid action

-Handcuffs itself

-Falls into the same tropes

7.4/10
July 29, 2016
4/5. Not as good as Supremacy or Ultimatum, but still better than Identity. Renner does a great job filling Damon's shoes, and although Rachel Weisz's character is annoying, the film itself is very solid and entertaining.