The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind Reviews

• 4d ago

I don't know what I expected, but I was surprised by how moved I was by this film. It presents the complexities and nuances of Malawi and of poverty. It's real and raw, yet somehow transcending. There are some incredible performances and Chiwetel chose the right composer - the soundtrack takes the movie from a great drama, to something more ethereal. My Dad cried at the end - says it all! :))

• Jan 13, 2020

Touching and emotionally engaging film about a young boy's efforts to save his family from certain starvation.

• Jan 05, 2020

Predictable arc yet powerful nonetheless. A story of hope and overcoming adversity.

• Jan 04, 2020

It's a good uplifting film about a Malawian family trying to get ahead, when big business impacts on both their community and themselves. Realising that even their own government cares little for their survival or success they are left to their own devices. It is a film about never giving up, and how determination and persistence, along with trust and opportunity can pay off. It is a true story, about individuals families, and communities that will resonate with anyone who takes the time to watch it. There are some subtitles throughout the film.

• Jan 03, 2020

A compelling movie that doesn't talk-down or preach to its audience (so rare these days), but instead tells a beautiful tale from completely unique and novel perspective. Worth watching again!

• Jan 02, 2020

Excellent movie! Great story, good acting and engaging from the start. Worth every minute to watch.

• Dec 29, 2019

A very engaging true story, beautifully filmed. A great directional debut for Ejiofor.

• Dec 18, 2019

Chiwetel Ejiofor co-wrote, directed and starred in 'The Boy who Harnessed the Wind' which is a formulaic, yet heartwarming story about a boy who saves a village using ingenuity. Maxwell Simba steals the show here as the precocious child. There's nothing wrong with the feature as Ejiofor shows his chops as a filmmaker. Netflix continues to take chances where old school studios have failed. Films like this, despite mostly being in a foreign language are a boon to the future of the industry. Final Score: 7.7/10

• Nov 30, 2019

I can't believe how amazing this film was. Definitely stumbled upon this film and it blew me away. One of the best movies of my year. This should be shown in schools all over the world. Access is key. The greatness that lives in young minds is endless. With opportunity and access, many communities all over the world could flourish and quite possibly change the world. If only established governments and developing ones could work together. This story is a beautiful story.

• Oct 22, 2019

Chiwetel Ejiofor's directorial debut and it's a strong start. Stuck in the fields, young William needs to find the courage to battle all the elements against him. Heavy rains followed by a dry season in a country which government does not provide enough for the lower classes of people, forcing him to work the fields so his family has enough to eat. Being a bright young man and good with technology, he soon knows that he can find a solution for the drought and help his family. The battle between William's duties and ideas is well translated. Ejiofor is a strong player as his father, yet due to this performance it is him that kind of steals the screen. It's not that the rest of the acting is bad, it's that one person stands above the rest, but it is unintentional. The photography is absolutely gorgeous and brands your eyes with the harsh thruth these people have to live with. Their goals are primal and the mistrust in technology to save them is warranted because having to build it takes away from the work needed to put in the field. The fact that they almost have to resort to praying for rain to survive is heartbraking enough. In the end, it is a story about persevering in what you're good at and following an idea that can actually help and improve people's situations in a decor that we're not used to seeing in any other Hollywood movie. Props to Netflix and Ejiofor for picking up this story and putting it on the screen.