The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind Reviews

• Oct 03, 2019

An inspirational story.

An inspirational story.

• Sep 13, 2019

This is such an uplifting story and beautifully told. The cast is superb. It's certainly an outstanding directorial debut from Ejiofor. Really hard to find any fault with it.

• Sep 07, 2019

This inspirational movie was based on true events. Seeing the poverty and struggles that the people from Malawi, Africa live in is very heartbreaking and humbling (especially when we have so much here in America) but these conditions can't hold back 14-year old William Kamkuamb who is smart, dedicated and driven. Willam fights all obstacles to educate himself and to find a way to save his family and village. This is a must-see movie for the whole family, with wonderful life lessons. The movie has a slow start but get the kids to hang in there because it's worth every second. The acting, directing and cinematography were great. The end of the film shows pictures and updates on the actual family. Note to Parents: much of the film is in the native Chichewa language (kudos to the actors) with subtitles as well as some English. Also, for younger/sensitive children be aware there are some sad/emotional scenes. This film should be shown in all Jr High science classes to encourage creativity, hard work and the importance of education, In My Humble Opinion!

• Sep 02, 2019

A beautiful film, probably best enjoyed without knowing what it's all leading to. In other words, forget the title, and don't watch the Ted Talk beforehand.

• Jul 08, 2019

Inspired true story that talks about a boy in Malawi who used scarp parts to make a turbine for watering the dried topsoil and save his people from starvation. As a famous phrase says "Necessity is the mother of invention". This is the first movie that directed and wrote by Chiwetel Ejiofor, although it's an easy true story to direct, but it's a good start for him. Finally, it was a good movie to watch although it was slow.

• Jul 03, 2019

A confident, talented debut from Chiwetel Ejiofor, demonstrating his skills both in front of and behind the camera. It does have a predictable structure and story progression, but since it's based on real life there's not much you can do about that. I would rather a true story was told the way it happened, without unnecessary cinematic embellishments. The pacing makes it feel longer than necessary, and the father character is difficult to like, but the lead is very engaging. Smart, resourceful and doing whatever he needs to do to ensure the survival of his family and village. The conflicts which arise are nothing we haven't seen before, but make narrative sense and are directed in such a way that you know exactly what is going on. It does take a bit too long to make its points, but it's a heart-warming story told through great performances and compelling direction. I hope this is a sign of things to come for the Directorial career of Mr Chiwetel Ejiofor.

• Jun 22, 2019

This is a great movie. Great directing and acting and a good story.

This is a great movie. Great directing and acting and a good story.

• May 29, 2019

Chiwetel Ejiofor's debut and he also does one of the main characters here. A young boy in Malawi is struggling a bit at school. He is smart, but the teachers does not like his ways at times. This is does not stop the young man as he wants to build a windmill that can pump water to make sure the small Malawian village survives the dry summer. He get parts from a nearby dump. Some old batteries, some cables and an old pump and he is almost ready to go. This is the true story of how William Kamkwamba put up his windmill but there's also plenty of more stuff going on here. That's the negative aspect for me here. The entire thing seem like a subplot among all the other things. His sister that's dating the teacher, the father that stresses out to do right, and the mother that cries for the lack of food. It should be a good film, and it partly is, but with such a story I was hoping for way more. 6 out of 10 bikes.

• May 28, 2019

Beautifully directed, well acted, compelling true story.

Beautifully directed, well acted, compelling true story.

• May 25, 2019

What a fantastic movie! Somehow you get so immersed in it you forget you are reading subtitles. I recommended to family and friends and they also loved it. Beautiful true story of preserverance and hope. Hubster and I both wept.