The Bride With White Hair 2 Reviews

• Jun 15, 2014

The sequel to the amazing "The Bride With White Hair" doesn't really feel like a sequel. The script that isn't as strong nor is the plot which creates a different tone. The film feels rushed and it doesn't give the main actress Brigette Lin Hasia the right atmosphere for her to allow the emotional depth that of what her character left behind in the first film.

• Nov 25, 2012

A paper tiger sequel or at least all signs point in that direction. Released less than four months after its predecessor "The Bride with White Hair 2" uses footage from the first film liberally to prop-up the 78 minute sequel's exposition-heavy story. Some have said this is the worst sequel to a solid film made during Hong Kong's so-called golden age and maybe they're right.

• Jul 29, 2012

Doesn't match the first in energy and originality but Brigitte Lin as always mesmerise.

• Aug 28, 2011

An appropriate finish to the Bride with White Hair saga. It's mostly filler with Leslie Cheung's nephew as the main character, and it only gets really good with Leslie Cheung's Uncle Cho shows up. A lot of violence and decent action scenes as well.

• Cassandra M Super Reviewer
    Oct 15, 2009

I think this film would have got better reviews if it had been called something else. The problem is Ronny Yu made a great, almost perfect film with the original Bride and this has rather a rushed feel to it. The epic, mythological feel of the first film has been replaced by something else and Brigitte Lin has no real space to develop the tragic character until right at the end when she is reunited with Leslie Cheung in a not exactly happy ending, if perhaps fitting. But the photography is wonderful and Sunny Chan is, in my opinion, a better actor than some give credit for. Joey Man does what she is there for and provides the eye candy and some nudity. They are supported by the great Helena Law Lan and Christy Chung plays it for fun and dies a suitably tragic death. This is much bloodier than the first film and the feminist, even lesbian overtones are too obvious at times. The kung fu and sword play is minimal but I sat through the film really enjoying it and if you don't consider it a sequel then it is still better than many other films.

• Jun 14, 2009

I have a feeling that, like "Kill Bill", this was suppose to be the second half of one film. Part 2 makes no sense without knowing what happened in Part 1, which ended in a way that make you feel like you were ripped off. I really liked the militant feminist revenge cult, with the sole exception that it made them seem like the bad "guys". Yet, throughout both movies, you sense that the good guys aren't all that good and that the "evil witch" is actually better than every one else.

• Jul 30, 2008

Not as enchanting as the first part of course, but you really have to watch these two movies in sequence to get the full picture.

• Jun 02, 2008

I liked the first one better although I loved the ending here. The story isn't very well-developed and I would have loved to see more of Christy Chung, whose character was certainly worth a lot more screen time and exploration.

• May 15, 2008

Not as good as the first one, but still entertaining.

Not as good as the first one, but still entertaining.

• Dec 10, 2007

I didn't think the first one was particularly good, but this really sucks. Apart from the extremely negative portrayal of women, it was boring as hell.