The Broken Circle Breakdown - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Broken Circle Breakdown Reviews

½ May 22, 2016
Hard-hitting, bleak, but at the same time beautiful, Felix Van Groeningen's drama about the tough times in a relationship is filled with genuine emotion, which is complemented by excellent actings, outstanding directing and a killer soundtrack.
April 6, 2016
A heartbreaking and emotional film about loss and moving on. Although the second half of The Broken Circle Breakdown is not as strong as its first half, and it is scattershot in terms of what message it's trying to convey, but overall, it is a well-crafted movie with very strong lead performances. It's tragic and not an easy film to watch, but it's worth seeing.
February 27, 2016
Moving and some great Bluegrass
January 28, 2016
Guy meet girl, sparks, and make baby girl. The whole is a passionate time where mid-stream, bad luck strikes and their little heaven dissolve. It dissolve or breaks down with a passion as well. A beautiful film that reminds us why so many believe in something... maybe even the ones that loudly claims they don't.
January 18, 2016
ma è legale anche solo pensare ad una trama del genere?

il film più triste della storia dei film tristi
December 31, 2015
A film about passion within a relationship, within their love of their music, within the tragedy of the story that unfolds. The Broken Circle Breakdown may well be the movie find of the year that has had the most profound impact to me; for it is raw, real and connected and within its darkest colour hues there is such a bright light shining out. I cannot recommend it enough.
½ December 8, 2015
Superb film. Terrific acting. Powerful.
November 28, 2015
Brilliant Dutch film full of passion & joy. Still, a devastating film (tissues required).
September 22, 2015
An intense look at perhaps a relationship's greatest test. The subject matter is heartbreaking, but as a drama it's first class.
½ September 14, 2015
A love story, and a tragedy, at first sight. Actually, a deep discussion about the meaning of death, the Christian meaning of death, namely: not the end of everything, it is to arrive home, indeed.
The music is great, from beginning to end: OK, my judgement is biased here, I have always loved the bluegrass music. However, the choice of the songs here is really tasty, and, always, it perfectly fits the story. For example, the choice of the song Wayfaring Stranger, with its deep and meaningful lyrics, is perfect: and I can not add anything more, to not spoil the film. However, when you hear the song (I am a poor wayfaring stranger ...), pay deep attention to the words, they are functional to the story.
A great movie, that deserves a second view, and, for the music lovers, any number.
August 20, 2015
The movie was a mixture of the bright side of young coupe and the dark side of their daughter's cancer. They were not "decent" couple with a lot of tattoos, but I liked a lady's voice when she sang.
½ July 29, 2015
A very dark film, one that will only prove meaningful to those who can endure it. The musical score alone is worth giving this one a chance.
June 25, 2015
String emotions in play in this movie right through . With a strong story line moving through 2 timelines and great performances it does encapsulate you. Good direction and editing too with a good soundtrack of classics .
½ June 7, 2015
Will the circle, remain unbroken? Does the poetic foreboding title give you a clue as it did for me? Even though a star often has died before its' light reaches us, it is still alive for us viewers. Watch this, my Facebook acquaintances. This is the 1st task I have assigned you all in years.
½ May 22, 2015
Felix Van Groeningen's film is one of the saddest movies I've ever seen. What lifts it up and brings the characters and the audience hope is the wonderful use of bluegrass music. It is the story of true love, happiness and tragedy. And, the "broken" or fragmented way the film unfolds is so true to the romantic an tragic nature of the music. A great and unusual achievement that comes from Belgium yet feels entrenched in an American culture that is slowly drifting away. A must see.
May 10, 2015
"Eu sempre soube. Isso era bom demais para ser verdade. Que isso não poderia durar. A vida não é assim, ela não é generosa. Você não deve amar alguém. Você não deve se apegar a alguém. A vida inveja isso. Leva tudo de você e ri na sua cara. Ela trai você."

½ May 7, 2015
First, I would like to begin by saying I cried a great deal throughout this movie. It is also one of the most beautiful, haunting, aching movies I've ever seen. The actors breathed life into these characters. The chemistry was intoxicatingly painful. I loved how the music was used as an overarching theme. It had a smart script and a meaningful look at death and faith. Perfectly structured, it fluidly swept from past to present. All of the descriptions were accurate - Exactly a blend of "Once", "Blue Valentine" and "Walk the Line". Perhaps a tad overdramatic an ending, but powerful nonetheless. Days later... this one is still resonating with me.
April 29, 2015
A bluegrass-playing couple's child battles cancer and tests their relationship.
One of the most heart-breaking and beautiful films I've seen in a long time, The Broken Circle Breakdown is master story-telling. The narration jumps back and forth in time, and each sequence is an emotional roller-coaster.
I marvel most at the perfect choices in scene structure. Putting the first morning sequence before the first meeting sequence adds an element of mystery to this woman and their relationship. Even the scene-level choices are excellent: when the child comes home - how many songs did they have to consider before deciding on "The Lion Sleeps Tonight," which works perfectly with the theme and the emotional effect of the moment?
Overall, I had to look back at the other nominees for Best Foreign Language film, and while I understand why The Great Beauty won, I only now realize how tough a choice that was.