The 'Burbs - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The 'Burbs Reviews

July 1, 2012
Cheerful 80's classic that still manages to entertain 20+ years later...
June 27, 2012
An 80's classic you can watch non-stop over and over.
June 22, 2012
Just when you think something's gonna happen... BOOM!! another twist and something completely different appears!
June 20, 2012
Tom Hanks, Carrie Fisher, and Corey Feldman star in this movie about a bunch of neighbors who suspect something suspicious about their new neighbors and they sneak around and try to find out what they are up too. They get this idea that they killed people including the people that use to live there. This is one of those movies I can't get enough of. I end up watching it alot and enjoy watching it. There are so many funny things that they do and the cast was pretty funny through most of the movie. Another actor that I like was Henry Gibson. So sad to hear that he passed in 2009. This is not a scary movie but it is a really fun movie to watch.
June 19, 2012
This comedy is so funny and entertaining. Plus it has a great set of actors. Love it!
June 17, 2012
Horror comedy masterpiece!!!
June 16, 2012
My least favorite actor stars in this. Tom Hanks (who should have stayed on that island, or at least lost to the volcano on the other island) is an upper-middle class worker who decides to stay home during his week's vacation from work. His wife is Princess Leia. Some new, noticibly Slavic, neighbors move in to his average WASP neighborhood. The neighbors spread rumors and hearsay about the new, ethnically-different residents. A couple of the neighbors band together to do reconnaissance is a mission on the alien peoples. I saw this in the theatre, maybe the first horror-comedy I saw in the theatre. Oh yeah, Dick Miller also stars in this (who I am sure has been in more comedy-horrors thasn anyone: "Gremlins" (1 & 2), "Dead Heat," "Demon Knight," "Night of the Creeps," "Chopping Mall," "Piranha," "Bucket of Blood," etc.)! (Even though the DVD case has "PG" listed as the rating, this was, in fact, the unrated version with unedited clips from "Texas Chainsaw Massacre II," "Exorcist," and "Race with the Devil" = boobies in a PG-rated film!) Watch this movie along with "Parents" and "Serial Mom" and maybe even "Meet the Applegates" or "My Mom's Werewolf."
½ June 15, 2012
Love this movie. The characters are great. Tom Hanks is very funny.
June 14, 2012
very stupid movie but it was kinda funny because it was so dumb and stupid.. not worth watching though
June 14, 2012
My # 1 favorite movie next to Point Break. Comedy, suspense, next door whackos and skulls: what's not to love. Still waiting for the blu ray release though!
June 9, 2012
awesome 80s flick ! original and fun ...Hanks and Dern are awesome
June 7, 2012
Great 80's comedy with humor, dark twists, and likable characters
May 29, 2012
Great look at Suburban culture and paranoia
May 27, 2012
This is my favorite movie of all time.
½ May 26, 2012
The last movie I remember scaring me as a kid, before some switch flipped and I wasnt scared by another movie for the next 13 years (and now ten since that one.) As an adult, Henry Gibson is still a creepy little guy, but skeletons dont have the same impact they did when I was 7, and I'm now fully aware he won't kill Tom Hanks, so I can enjoy this movie for the silly fun that it is.
May 21, 2012
One of the better dated 80's comedies.
May 16, 2012
Ridiculous, but entertaining.
May 8, 2012
I had no idea this had such a low aggregate review score. That is crazy. It can be a bit too dopey for its own good at times, I guess, though at other times its dopeyness is brilliant. All in all it's a lovable cartoony horror comedy adventure, certainly among the best of the 80s.
½ May 6, 2012
very eighties comedy but it is worth the time for the oddball characters. dante always did make odd films and sadly the audiences stayed away. much better then expected thanks to hanks in the lead.
May 5, 2012
I just watched it again after about 20 years. It's like a kooky suburban take on prejudices that come from people who do weird things, a mix of To Kill a Mockingbird and Rear Window, 80s style with slapstick comedy. Loved it.