The Cabin in the Woods - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Cabin in the Woods Reviews

November 7, 2017
Not sure if I liked it or not!!! Very strange and unusual story!
2017: Watched this again and appreciated its originality more than the first time when I rated it 3.5 stars.
November 2, 2017
A relentlessly entertaining horror meta feature from start to feature, The Cabin in the Woods is capable of being many things, in a good way, at the same time. As part of the film's mission to deconstruct the genre of horror in virtually any way possible, the cast certainly make the most of their stereotypical roles, playing it up to the point where it's clear that everyone's having fun in the affair. Kristen Conolly and Frans Kranz are particular standouts, especially the latter's whose flaw proves to be his greatest strength, and simply because Kranz delivers it all in a reserved manner. Jenkins and Whitford are also entertaining to watch, making for a very fun duo to watch onscreen thanks to their witty banter and having almost all of the best lines in the film. Part of the novelty of Cabin in the Woods is that despite it's seemingly clichéd appearance, its apparent that not everything is as it seems and as the film kicks into gear, it actually dares to dig deep into the conventions of the horror genre. It's clichéd ridden but thats partly the point because the film delivers them not in a way that it succumbs to them but that they all have a purpose and serve as a piece to a wider puzzle. The film's litany of ploy twists certainly help as well while the third act serves as an ultimately satisfying retreat for any horror fan alike. The ending was a bit underwhelming all things considered but at least the rest is a bloody good ride. And most of that can be attributed to Drew Goddard's excellent direction. A film such as this wouldn't work without balance but Goddard manages to carefully handle all of his comedic scenes, with the ones between Jenkins and Whit ford being the best and the fact that despite the many changes the film makes, it still stays on course. It isn't particularly scary at all, mostly because the film doesn't really have that horrific impact most might be expecting and because of it's devotion to it's horror satire. Credit where its due though and Whedon and Goddard have crafted a horror modern masterpiece that thanks to it's gleeful send up of everything fans love (and hate) about the genre with surprisingly meaningful narrative,is full of classic nostalgia. It may not be scary but there are plenty of thrills to find in the film as well. Cabin in the Woods finds a reason why the standard tropes in the horror genre exist to this day and admit it, now whenever I watch most horror films I can't forget that maybe, just maybe, they're all connected somehow... -
October 26, 2017
Satire of the horror industry Perfect!
½ October 25, 2017
That was disgusting. I'm never going to trust Rotten Tomato critics again! It was just wall-to-wall blood and gore and nothing to redeem it. It wasn't even scary, there was no real suspense, just endless scenes of people being mauled by monsters, blood everywhere, lots of screaming, and a plot so weird that even as a fantasy addict I couldn't suspend constant, complete and utter disbelief. Being a Buffy fan, I'm disappointed that Joss Whedon could write something so crass.
½ October 22, 2017
If you are a fan of Slasher flicks, horror movies or just gore, please watch this movie. I assure you it'll blow your mind.
October 15, 2017
I am not normally a horror fan, which led to me liking this film and slightly disliking it at the same time. The movie is immediately grounded in the cheesy world of a group of pretty young people going to a cabin for a holiday (can't be good) and a creepy organisation watching them for unknown reasons. From this point out, the narrative seems to deliberately executes a string of cliches. The story involving those in the cabin is watchable but basically something you've seen a million times, regardless of it's attempt to parody. Those who curiously monitor the heroes in peril serve up some intrigue and 4th wall humour. but not much of any depth. To avoid spoilers, I will simply say that the film delivers on a suitably mental conclusion that will make you giggle. However, and this is a big one, the film is not scary in any way at all, lacks tension, and is only occasionally funny. It is a bezerk ride that is interesting for it's self awareness, but is forgettable for it's lack of originality and inability to use it's clever parody for a worthwhile good punchline.
October 14, 2017
my new favorite horror/comedy/action movie thats better than Scream
October 11, 2017
Best fantastic phenomenal horror scary movie starring Chris Hemsworth and some other random kids who were pretty good. I really liked the idea of everything in this that the government can modify evil dead, I love the idea, this movie is with out a doubt a really good Halloween movie and I will watch this movie again every Halloween.
October 9, 2017
One of my all time favorite scary movies. Brilliant!
October 8, 2017
Dog s**** in the woods! Who in the right mind rates this move anything above 1star . 92% rotten tomatoes! How on earth? The truman show meets vacancy. Im blown away how bad this is. I'm speechless shocking story hilarious effects. I just watched a unicorn stab someone. Holy s***
October 6, 2017
I liked it. I liked how unique it was. I liked the characters. I liked the zoo of generic horror baddies. But I didn?t find myself loving this movie as much as everyone else and I?m not sure why.
September 29, 2017
As good as it gets. Perfect plot that unravels beautifully and a top notch cast. Great Horror/Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Comedy fusion.
½ September 22, 2017
85%; Good, creative, but definitely more satirical and funny than scary
September 20, 2017
My favorite scary movie. It's not really that scary but it's pretty original.
½ September 1, 2017
I signed up for Rotten Tomatoes just to express how pathetic this movie is. It is a complete lackluster piece of shit. I'm going to write a letter to each person involved in this sad sack of shit movie asking for my money back.
½ August 27, 2017
The comedy is brilliant in the sense that it catches you off-guard.
August 24, 2017
One of the best horror movies ever made!
August 24, 2017
As soon as the characters start to speak you know it's a Joss Whedon film and that's by no means a bad thing. This is a masterclass in deconstructing the horror genre and a joy to watch. It's saturated with references to classic horror and both mocks and plays into the clichés we all know so well. Even if you've never seen a horror film before this is still a thoroughly entertaining and exciting film that swings between dread and hilarity.
½ August 21, 2017
9/10 Witty, fresh, entertaining! Well done.
August 20, 2017
I'm a coward when it comes to watching horror movies alone for the first time. This one, recommended by a friend, was surprisingly good. The plot was wicked, and the end was quite an interesting twist. I loved it.