The Cabin in the Woods - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Cabin in the Woods Reviews

October 10, 2016
The Cabin in the woods is an excellent example of bullshit marketing, or a director so far up his own arse that he believes his own hype. By all accounts The Cabin in the woods is "the" defining, game changing moment in horror cinema, things literally can never be the same again after watching. I call bullshit on that one.

Cabin is neither a game changer or a rule breaker, in fact it sticks so closely to pre determined rules of established films it becomes a huge homage. That isn't even a bad thing either, such a style worked really well for Scream in the 90's, and almost works well here, but is instead let down by an ending that shits the bed in a manner beyond compare. With crap puppetry, wonky cgi and men in rubber suits ruling the finale.

If The Cabin had stuck to the tongue in cheek homage then Joss Whedon could have been on to a winner, specially with the arse kissing marketing. But instead it sets out to break the rules, mess up the natural order and instead does none of that. Watchable but please disengage your brain beforehand. It will thank you.l after.
½ October 10, 2016
esta película es muy mala
October 1, 2016
Incredible. One of my favorite movies of all time. It's a perfect mix of comedy and horror. Just enough scary to be scared and just enough comedy to laugh. What more could you want?
September 30, 2016
A surprisingly clever take on a horror movie.
September 20, 2016
I did not like this movie the first time I saw it years ago. But I've been hearing about it so much lately and even seen it described as "one of the best horror films of the century". Because of this, I decided to give this movie another chance. Again, I did not like this movie. Nothing about it is very original at all; as much as people want to make it seem. The only interesting part is the third party controlling this movie. This isn't something a genius would only think of; anyone could have. As much as I wanted to agree that "The Cabin in the Woods" was a great movie, I can't. I never have and I don't think I ever will.
September 17, 2016
A funny horror film that mostly relies on making fun of dumb horror movie tropes from previous films, while also maintaining a well sense of threat and tension.
September 13, 2016
One of the most original films in quite some time. Every film genre thrown into one make this truly entertaining.
September 10, 2016
Fun movie. Made me very nostalgic for Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
½ September 10, 2016
I love how this movie messes with the audiences minds and you dont know if you should laugh, cry or look away, even though you know there is something inherently wrong with the whole set up.
September 7, 2016
Extremely smart and very original. Prior to this movie, the idea of flipping a classic slasher film on its head was just not done. Cabin in the Woods balances classic scares with deeply interesting characters and throws in lots of laughs to ease the tension.
August 26, 2016
Let me start by saying this movie was hilarious. In fact, this probably one of the funniest movies I have ever watched. However, this was supposed to be a horror movie, and horror movies are supposed to be scary, or at least suspenseful. This movie was neither. If you go into this movie expecting a comedy, you will leave satisfied, but if you go in expecting a horror movie, as I did, you will be very disappointed
August 22, 2016
I love movies this clever. Watched it twice in two days.
½ August 22, 2016
** 1/2
Drew Goddard and Joss Whedon's 'Cabin in the Woods' is a fun time at the movies, but not really a good one. Without spoiling anything, due to the nature of how this movie starts as any other horror movie, it's naturally plagued with cliches. Although this may have been the aim, that doesn't make it any easier to sit through. The movie does partly redeem itself however, due to the end being friggin' awesome!
August 19, 2016
If you're a fan of horror movies, like me, you've seen enough to notice certain tropes in them from the "virgin always lives" to the "black guy gets it first" and everything in between. Like Scream, this movie sets out to play with the ideas and tropes of the horror movie genre. For the most part, it works.

The concept as to why they're doing it, is very unique and all the creature effects and designs are beautiful. The comedy works best when it's the side character doing it, and not the main group of kids. Maybe now that he seems to be done with the Marvel Universe, for the moment, maybe Joss Whedon can go back to making what he does best, weird and yet strangely compelling horror comedies.

Here's hoping.
August 17, 2016
Apparently I'm in the minority when I say this movie wasn't for me... I can admit the premise is original in a horror genre packed full of cliches, but at what cost does originality come? The filmmakers essentially and effectively made a mockery of their own movie within the movie, and unfortunately I just didn't find it enjoyable. The first half an hour or so did have a lot of potential, but sadly it just never picked up from there. Needlessly dumb plot twist and you aren't really missing anything if you sit this one out.
August 8, 2016
Nice twist on the classic "teenagers in a remote cabin" horror genre.
½ August 7, 2016
??????????? ??????????? ????? ??? ????? ?????????? ????????? ?.
August 6, 2016
Horror films tend to be saturated with cliches and superficial depth. The fact that The Cabin in the Woods twists its roots to stand unique is applauded.
jamrcla
August 2, 2016
A very weird and different horror film, With a few jumps thrown in, Some gory bits and some humour help the film feel fresh, A horror movie has never been done like this before and in the end a quite good movie, Abit random at times but worth watching.
July 22, 2016
I love cabin in the woods