The Cabin in the Woods - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Cabin in the Woods Reviews

½ May 17, 2017
Awful movie. There's no character development, a weak plot, no backstory whatsoever, and no exposition as to what is going on until the final act at which point you really don't care, provided you are actually still watching.

3.0/10
May 12, 2017
I honestly was skeptical about watching this movie, but when I watched it I loved it!!!!!!
½ May 6, 2017
decent entertainment
½ April 15, 2017
This movie does not just satirize horror movies, it takes horror stories to the bone marrow. All this stuff happens at this sort of government/nasa-ish company, all run by man The Cabin in the Woods is not just a good horror film, but it mixes horror, comedy and surreal-ness together to make it a wickedly messed up and awesome flick.
April 14, 2017
9/10 Witty, fresh, entertaining! Well done.
April 6, 2017
This one quickly shoots to the top of any kind of revisionist horror films list for me, as it goes a long way towards paying homage to all the various horror tropes that one has come to expect from the genre, but puts a unique and fun spin on it at the same time.

My only minor criticism might be that it goes a bit too CGI heavy in the final reel, but even then it's somewhat forgivable as it has built up so much goodwill to that point.

Recommended.
April 3, 2017
Funny, scary, and weird-often all at once-The Cabin in the Woods turns the horror genre on its head with meta humor and a very clever premise. The entire movie makes very few mistakes and is expertly made. The "Everything vs Everyone" scene-the one where all the monsters attack all the people-is one of the best scenes of the decade.
March 20, 2017
It had its moments, but I can't really see what all the fuss is about.
½ March 17, 2017
I've seen this episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. It was better on TV.
March 5, 2017
So creative yet cliched yet so weird but in a good way.
½ March 2, 2017
this was the worst movie I have ever seen my life would have been better if I never would have watch it I don't know how the hell this movie has a 2% lead on dr. strange
February 28, 2017
One of the most original and clever takes on the horror genre in every way. Every cliche gets better as the film goes on to address them and pull them apart. Entertaining, funny and conceptually brilliant.
February 24, 2017
I love the fact that the movie looks at a number of the common tropes of horror films and pokes fun at them. The scenes in the control room were my favorite part because they added humor, and it was fun to see how they treated this as just another day on the job. I was definitely puzzled over what exactly was happening, but that meant I was hooked until the end when things started to get revealed.

The cast was quite good, and it was peppered with a number of Whedon regulars which I appreciated. Fran Kranz is probably my favorite because he can play the part of the stoner but I also am willing to buy the fact that he might be smarter than everyone else in the room. The chemistry between the 5 actors in the cabin worked well, and unlike most horror films of this type, I didn't hate any of them.

The world they created for this film is quite interesting, and I think I might understand it even more on a re-watch. There were certain aspects that didn't make a whole lot of sense to me, and I didn't like that the characters were asking questions about the same things and I didn't feel like they ever got appropriate answers. That being said, when I let go and decided not to nitpick the intricacies of the world they created, the plot holds together well.

The climax of the movie is a thrill-a-minute ride. It's interesting how it feels like a normal horror film, but then it feels so completely different at the same time. Some of the CGI creatures are a bit lackluster, but they weren't so bad that it was annoying. I could tell they were CGI, but they usually raced through the screen so fast that it didn't have time to bother me too much. The Cabin in the Woods is a movie I enjoyed, but I think it will be better if I give it another try. It's not my favorite blend of comedy and horror, but I see why it's so popular.
February 21, 2017
Grade - C
Drew Goddard and Joss Whedon's 'Cabin in the Woods' is a fun time at the movies, but not really a good one. Without spoiling anything, due to the nature of how this movie starts as any other horror movie, it's naturally plagued with cliches. Although this may have been the aim, that doesn't make it any easier to sit through. The movie does partly redeem itself however with an amazing final twist.
½ February 20, 2017
Worst movie ever, riddiculous and not funny or scary at all. Complete waste of time
February 20, 2017
F**k yea love this movie it's a love letter to the horror genre it's super great....u need to watch this I'm glad I own it
February 19, 2017
Well developed, interesting, and plenty of jump scare action.
February 17, 2017
I really loved this movie. It sort of redefined horror in my mind. It was creative and interesting...
February 10, 2017
Great film, best to know as little as possible about the film before watching it. Loved every minute, completely original!
½ January 31, 2017
I think The Cabin In The Woods is a tiny bit above some viewers' heads in that the plot is so wickedly twisted that one must be quite attentive in order to follow it. Watching this movie is like watching someone else's choose your own adventure book, only the final minutes are so bizarre. Don't be surprised if you have to pause several times while you just blink and stare for awhile.