The Cat from Outer Space Reviews

• Aug 28, 2020

Nice idea, just not one that's executed well at all. 'The Cat from Outer Space' is mundane. The concept of an alien cat invading is cool, but they choose to do it in a way that is boring - the cat, Jake, speaks via voiceover only, so there are many shots of the cat just staring whilst Ronnie Schell speaks. That just doesn't work, to get attached/become interested in a character you need emotion and/or expression... you get none of that here. I never cared for Jake, and that's coming from someone who loves cats. Also with the plot they spend most of the time focusing on the cat helping the humans with dull things, like betting and freezing people. Quite inconsistently too, there's a number of times where the cat could solve their problem instantly but they avoid using him for some reason. It's only at the end when they, truly, tackle the overall story arc - which itself is held back by the (understandably, I guess) lame special effects. Cast-wise it's very flat, none of them are particularly bad but they all give forgettable performances - even Harry Morgan (Stilton), who has done some fine things for Disney in these early decades. I can think of at least ten worse live-action flicks from this studio up until 1978, but that's not to say this is anything worth watching - it isn't, unfortunately.

• Aug 09, 2020

I remember this movie from my childhood being part of why I loved cats so much. they don't need the telepathy to prove they are from another world. Would watch again. Would definitely watch with my cat high.

• Jun 28, 2020

I remember this movie fondly from my childhood and I pulled it up for my kids on Disney plus. They loved it! It still holds up quite nicely.

• Apr 25, 2020

Just rewatched it 30 something years later after I last saw it on HBO...or was the Disney channel around back then. Needless to say, I saw it back when I was a kid. I loved it then but as a grown-up, its really just about the nostalgia. Still, I think it's a good watch for a young family who likes cats. Last I found it curious that both colonels from TV's Mash had supporting roles in this film.

• Apr 25, 2020

Typical Disney for its day. It still has its cliched moments that stick with you.

• Jan 28, 2020

The Cat From Outer Space starts off slow but takes off once the cat meets up with a human and set off to help each other. It is a very delightful Disney movie from the 70s for people of all ages to watch and enjoy.

• Jan 20, 2020

If you like cats or science fiction, then you will enjoy watching this film with your family. The cats who play Jake do an awesome job interacting with their human costars in a believable way. The humans also do a nice job making a corny plot about a UFO and a victor from outer space sound reasonable. All in all, it's a great cat-centric movie that cat lovers will like watching.

• Jan 09, 2020

As strange as this hairball is, it's somehow still neither the most inexplicable nor the most lazy movie starring a cat that I've seen in the past month—and maybe that milquetoast effort, rather than a toast to milk as a cat truly deserves, is why it's actually the most forgettable.

• Nov 18, 2019

Great movie for the whole family to watch. Lots of fun if you're an old soul and like throwbacks.

• Oct 16, 2019

Greatest movie of all time, you haven't lived until you have watched this. If you don´t like it we cant be friends.