The Catechism Cataclysm - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Catechism Cataclysm Reviews

June 12, 2015
I can't think of an effective way to explain or share insight into Todd Rohal's THE CATECHISM CATACLYSM much less defend why I love it so much. Robert Longstreet, as one would expect, delivers a painfully realistic performance. While Steve Little offers an almost cartoonishly annoying take on his character. The really interesting thing is that these two very different characters are both being approached from distinctly different styles. It doesn't take long for the the two distinctly different types of stile to combine a systematic "catalyst" to turn an ill-advised canoe trip into a deeply odd exploration into dark storytelling. As "the stories" are spun each is presented in stark and literal manner. The connection and communication between the two characters begins to veer into unsettling moments of male-bonding to even more unsettling tension that begins to feel like their bonding is about to slither into potentially sinister sexually violent territory. And just as you think you know where we are headed, the film morphs into something altogether unexpected. ...And quite strange and twisted. A true cinematic oddity that is more smart than it wants to admit. If you have a twisted sense of humor and are looking to find something very different, see this. I would find it hard to believe anyone who describes this film as "dull" --- it is entertainingly strange -- and I almost cringe as I write this, but there is something charming about the whole experience.
½ March 12, 2014
This is a bizarre little must-see movie! It is very funny, though it does require patience at times. It seems like some reviewers were disappointed because it did not offer the religious satire that in their minds it allegedly promised. Sorry, folks. It does not denigrate religion, but rather shows its human side. Priests are people, too, who have crises of vocation and need vacations from serving the flock. Things definitely get weird! Traddie Catholics will probably not like this movie, but the rest of us just might.
December 28, 2013
Original, funny, absurdist, indie dark comedy. Definitely not for all tastes, but worth it for those who are willing to follow it wherever it takes them.
½ October 7, 2013
A lot of people evidently hate this movie, and while I can see why, I actually enjoyed it. I don't claim to understand, not even kind of, but it was funny and weird enough to maintain my interest. It's no classic, but worth a look if you're searching for something, er...unusual to watch tonight. Just don't expect it to add up to much.......
½ November 15, 2012
This may have been the worst movie I've ever see in my life.
November 7, 2012
A weird and witless would-be spoof of religion, male-bonding and, it seems, horror movies.
½ July 30, 2012
I try not to think about it. The more I try to figure it out the more I wish I hadn't tried.
May 9, 2012
My brain is a gloppy-glue of fuck-sauce after watching The Catechism Cataclysm. Currently searching for the irony, though I'm vastly aware the filmmakers doused it all in such.
½ March 22, 2012
A film sure to divide viewers into a love it/hate it mentality, of which I definitely fall into the love it group. An awkward and naive young priest named Father Billy takes a canoe trip with his sisters old boyfriend who doesn't even remember him and thus begins a road trip/buddy movie that alternates between very funny, downright bizarre and always very inspired. One of the more enjoyable viewing experiences I've had in a while with a comedy since it's definitely unique and never boring even when the laughs are being traded for a more freaky mentality. Great comic performance from Steve Little as Father Billy and made me really want to see more of him soon. Check this one out because it deserves to become a cult classic.
March 19, 2012
Que basura de pelĂ­cula, no sabes si es comedia, terror, drama, o una imbĂ (C)cil mezcla de todas las anteriores, solo fueron interesantes las mini historias dentro de la trama, creo que ni para ver en casa
March 14, 2012
Hahahaha you know a movie is funny when you laugh just thinking about it. Catechism Cataclysm is one of those. Starring Steve Little (of Eastbound and Down) Catechism Cataclysm is a top contender for funniest in the year. Now if you IMDB the guy, strangely enough you get no biographical info. But thats okay, simply catch him in Eastbound and Down or this and let the mans work speak for itself. He literally takes over any situation with his extremely authentic idiocracy. He is so damn convincing to me LOL. Whats more is, upon recollection I think there are less then 5 scenes that don't have Little in them. Which says he can carry a movie on his own pretty well. So check him out as a Father (Church) who drops his bible in a toilet and heads out on a 1-day canoe trip to find himself!
½ March 3, 2012
Totally stupid. Couldn't even get through the whole movie.
December 23, 2011
Brutal, unpredictable, uncomfortable. Loved it.
Kyle F.
½ June 13, 2011
The Catechism Cataclysm starts out promising to be one of the great comic masterpieces of our time. Perfect comic acting and comic timing, not to mention some pretty darn good comic writing, had me super excited. Unfortunately, before the movie is over, it spirals into total lazy randomness, squandering its potential. Steve Little stays game throughout the whole film, though, and for that I am grateful.
June 9, 2011
Zany, often pushing well into bizarre. A man-boy takes a vacation from his position as a priest and whines his way through a canoe trip with his high school hero. Occasionally irritating, but regularly strikes the funny bone.
May 8, 2011
Starts of fairly strong and engaging, and then turns absurd. Which isn't so bad, but this absurdity just didn't work, and didn't have a point. Still, the punchline song is very, very funny, and when this movie isn't trying to actively alienate audiences, it can be very touching.
½ April 8, 2011
Went with high hopes as this was the Philly Cinefest opening day movie. Dear oh dear. It starts gleefully enough with a simpleton priest trying to conduct a bible study group by telling urban myths, but quickly flushes itself down the crapper along with the priest's bible/autograph book, and his delusions about an acquaintance from high school he imagines is a friend. The movie never takes anything quite far enough for satisfaction. It tries to be a road (river) movie, tries to be a stoner comedy, tries to tap into alternative culture, and even tries a little magic realism. But it never gets past its "film school first effort" feel, and the dragging script is never quite genuine. I hope it is not an indicator of the film quality of the rest of the festival - going back today!